Official Review: The Other Kind of Smart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Other Kind of Smart

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Kind of Smart" by Harvey Deutschendorf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has heard of IQ, intelligence quotient, as a way to measure one’s mental or cognitive intelligence. Most of the time we have believed that it is our IQ that determines our success in life. However, our IQ is not able to change much after reaching adulthood and not everyone with a high IQ is successful. Have you heard of emotional intelligence or EI? Emotional intelligence is something that can be developed and improved upon through life experiences and as we grow older. EI is about understanding that our emotions are part of who we are and emotions affect everything we do. One can succeed in life with a good emotional intelligence. That is good news!

The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success by Harvey Deutschendorf, an emotional intelligence coach, first explains what emotional intelligence actually entails and how it affects everything in our lives. There are several chapters discussing our inner world, a look into our own lives, to develop some qualities for increasing our self-awareness, assertiveness, self-regard, self-actualization, and independence. Then, it takes a look at our outer world around us, to develop empathy, healthy relationships, and social responsibility. There are chapters on being adaptable and flexible, how to manage stress, and suggestions on how to control our impulses. There are techniques for increasing happiness and being optimistic given in the book. Finally, the book has an easy, small quiz that readers can take to assess their EI to see their own strengths and weaknesses. This evaluation of one’s own EI will help the individual to focus on and develop strengths, as well as to develop stronger qualities in place of weaknesses, which can be done by following the techniques in the book. Our emotional intelligence can change and develop if we are willing to work on the qualities to bring it about. The appendices include a detailed recommended reading list, websites, and organizations for increasing EI for people who want to further explore all the nuances of emotional intelligence.

I liked the chapters on stress management and impulse control. I would have liked for these two subjects to be elaborated on a bit more, but I did like the suggestions given on how to handle and reduce stress, as well as how to respond slower and control the tongue. I especially liked the chapters on happiness and optimism. I was surprised to learn that forty percent of our happiness is created from within ourselves. We can choose how to react to all situations, we can choose how we think, and we can practice the attitude of gratitude. I best like the quote of William James given in the first chapter of the book:
“The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by changing the attitude of the mind.”
All through the book, Southwest Airlines Company was given as the prime example of implementing and placing the importance of emotional intelligence in the workplace. It was made to sound like a dream company, not just to work for, but to be an important part of something. This example showed how the workplace could be transformed where employees’ attitudes and behaviors all contribute to the success of not only the company but also to their own lives as well. I really liked the story of Southwest Airlines’ unique interviewing process to measure a potential employee’s emotional intelligence. It makes me smile just thinking about that story.

The book was written and edited very well. I noticed only two misspelled words. The structure of the book was consistent and clear, outlining each chapter on a quality to gain more emotional intelligence. Each chapter contained a beginning quote, a short explanation of the topic, techniques of increasing the quality, more quotes, and ending in a short story of a real-life example of practicing the quality. As you can tell, I don’t have anything negative to say about this book. It had a lot of research that went into it, but it was balanced with stories and practical applications.

For people who are not interested in self-help books or looking within themselves may like this book the least. Adults who like clear outlines and order in reading about emotional intelligence will like this book. Businesses, companies, sports teams, schools, and counselors may like this book as well, for a key to their success. I rate The Other Kind of Smart 4 out of 4 stars. It is a good resource book that details the importance of emotional intelligence and gives simple, easy techniques to increase its qualities, benefiting the individual as well as the whole.

The Other Kind of Smart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Interestingly enough, EI is a seminal concept in the field of HR. I definitely need this book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book seems to contain very helpful tips. I like it more on how to handle and reduce stress. Informative and enjoyable review!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This is interesting, I would like to read this one. One of those book that you want to recommend to your friends.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I found your review very interesting and plan to add this one to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 23:26 Interestingly enough, EI is a seminal concept in the field of HR. I definitely need this book.
Like 420waystoreachthesun, it's relevance to HR is what I've noted, too. Truly, EI will give the HR function its "human" side.

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:40 This is interesting, I would like to read this one. One of those books that you want to recommend to your friends.
I also agree with Noraine. It's something we'd find useful for ourselves and those we care about, too, either for its actual application or merely to enrich our knowledge about the subject matter. A well-researched, pragmatic, and nearly-flawless book with a perfect review score like this one deserves consideration for a start.

Just like one of the piece's precepts you've mentioned, a sense of gratitude among all else can make a difference. Thus, thank you for your write-up.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I actually have heard of EI. However, I am not into self-help books. It really has to capture my attention. This one does not. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for the informative review! Seems like this could prove to be a resourceful book about EI but I am not into self-help books. Hence, I will pass this one.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The importance of EI is very popular right now in arenas like the marketplace and leadership. As such, I have read a lot of books discussing this topic. I appreciate that this book is well organized and edited. That is a huge help in ensuring it is useful. Thanks for the review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I learned about EI from studying psychology, but I would love to find out what this contemporary author has to say about it. I really love the Southwest Airlines story. Thank you for a really great introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
margaret muthoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by margaret muthoni »

The book is interesting and teaches us abt stress and stress managment
ChristineV1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ChristineV1999 »

I really appreciate this, the book do contain a lot of information. I do love to read this book to boost my Emotional Intelligence. As a person I have a lot of qualities to be improved and mostly I would like to handle my stress more,Thank you for this wonderful review!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I have never heard of this subject before. I think we get so self-absorbed in school and we have to pass tests that we begin to believe that is all we have going for us. This book sounds like a refreshing change to the old way of thinking about life, and I love the fact that it entails all of us being able to go forward and being able to improve ourselves. This sounds fascinating to me. Great job on this review. I have just been introduced to something I have never even considered.
Everything happens for a reason...
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I don't usually read self-help type books, but one that offers information on stress management seems like it would be useful in my life at the moment. Thanks for your review on this book!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds like an interesting concept, and I like the fact that the book has a quiz so you can test your own EI. Thanks for your review. I'll be adding it to my shelves.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”