Official Review: They Must Be Monsters by Deric Haddad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: They Must Be Monsters by Deric Haddad

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Must Be Monsters" by Deric Haddad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They Must Be Monsters by Matthew LeRoy and Deric Haddad is a non-fiction account of the longest and most expensive criminal case in US history. On May 11, 1983, Judy Johnson dropped her two-year-old son Mitchell at the McMartin Preschool in Manhattan Beach. He was not enrolled there and she did not sign him in or tell the staff. She later apologised for her actions but said she had a medical emergency with her eldest son, Mark, who had brain cancer. Despite her misgivings about Judy, Peggy Buckey, director of the preschool, ultimately allowed Mitchell a permanent placement at McMartin.

Three months later, Judy Johnson contacted Detective Jane Hoag of Manhattan Beach Police and accused Peggy's son Ray Buckey, 25, who worked at McMartin, of molesting Mitchell. Judy had noticed redness around her son's anus and presumed the young man working at the preschool was the culprit. Police arrested Ray on September 7 but released him hours later due to insufficient evidence. The next day, Manhattan Beach PD mailed 200 letters to current and former McMartin families, requesting they ask their child if they had been sexually abused. On November 1, Children's Institute International (CII) began videotaped interviews with many of the McMartin children. On January 13, 1984, Virginia McMartin voluntarily closed the preschool. On January 23, Judy Johnson alleged that Ray Buckey took her son Mitchell to another preschool, Manhattan Ranch, to be abused by strangers...

They Must Be Monsters is a compelling story of a community gripped by irrational fear. The prologue promised a tale of good people gone mad in a small town. With no prior knowledge of the McMartin case, I was keen to start reading. The authors delivered the story chronologically from the points of view of the main people involved in the scandal. This logical method of delivery was easy to follow. With barely any foreshadowing used, they reported each development in the case as it happened, which made for plenty of surprises and shocks.

The writing and editing were excellent right from the start. The only negative was eight minor errors in a book of over 400 pages. I must applaud the authors' attention to detail, including quality description, commas in the right places, and the correct use of quotation marks and punctuation throughout the book. Their methodical presentation of the case and their revelations about the characters and events ultimately left me with no doubt about the truth.

I found it frightening how people in the District Attorney's office viewed the McMartin defendants as a "stepping stone" in their own careers, irrespective of their guilt or innocence. They saw their job as to prove the accused guilty, regardless of whether they actually were. It wasn't about justice at all. McMartin Preschool founder Virginia McMartin said: "The United States has the rottenest judicial system in the world. Don't let anybody tell me about Russia or South Africa or anything. We have it right here. You are guilty, and God help you if you try to prove you are innocent. That's the way we've been treated since the first day."

The crusade by police and the District Attorney's office to implicate as many in the case as possible was reckless, irresponsible, and evil. Detective Jane Hoag came across as a vindictive woman looking to cause as much chaos and distress for the accused citizens as possible. The situation itself continued to snowball into ever greater madness. The volume of preschools and residences that Manhattan Beach PD searched with warrants due to hearsay became absurd after a while. Had this book been fiction, I would have to say the plot became ridiculous - but it all really happened!

They Must Be Monsters thoroughly deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It is a frightening tale of a community gone mad, of good people whose better judgement is sacrificed to fear. Well-written, well-edited, and gut-wrenching, this is a must-read for all fans of true crime. However, those who find the theme of child abuse difficult to deal with may want to avoid this one.

They Must Be Monsters
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

joshfee77 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 17:42 Had this book been fiction, I would have to say the plot became ridiculous - but it all really happened!
That makes this story all the more terrifying. I admit, after reading your review, I immediately googled the story to see what happened. Cheating, I know, but I can understand your need to read this book. These true life situations are often the most intense stories.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I remember this case and much of the information the author included was never reported in the media. It's a compelling story and I enjoyed your review.
Mobbyf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mobbyf »

I look forward to reading this book,i like your review great
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Oh my god, this book must have been a really intense read. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am sold on your review to check out this book. It must have been a truly terrifying experience for those who were wrongly accused of a crime they did not commit. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like this book was quite well done. I haven't heard of the case, either. I would love to know more about it. The organization appeals to me; you need that in a book like this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I don't remember this case and now I'm interested. I very much enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. Thanks for a thorough review of a difficult book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 03:14
joshfee77 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 17:42 Had this book been fiction, I would have to say the plot became ridiculous - but it all really happened!
That makes this story all the more terrifying. I admit, after reading your review, I immediately googled the story to see what happened. Cheating, I know, but I can understand your need to read this book. These true life situations are often the most intense stories.
Great review!
Real life can often be more extreme than anything a crime author could dream up. I felt incredibly bad for the defendants caught up in this mess. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 06:59 I remember this case and much of the information the author included was never reported in the media. It's a compelling story and I enjoyed your review.
Thanks! It would be interesting to see the difference between the media portrayal of this case and the reality. With no prior knowledge, it was all new to me, but I know how the mainstream media loves to sensationalise things for ratings.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Mobbyf wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 14:33 I look forward to reading this book,i like your review great
Thanks - it was definitely a powerful story.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 23:36 Oh my god, this book must have been a really intense read. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Thanks. It was a powerful and difficult story to read. The things the defendants were accused of doing were horrific.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 00:23 I am sold on your review to check out this book. It must have been a truly terrifying experience for those who were wrongly accused of a crime they did not commit. Thanks for the review!
The terror of some of the defendants was portrayed very effectively. Definitely a powerful read and a worthwhile story to illustrate that any accused person should be considered innocent until proven guilty - not the other way around. Thanks for your comments!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 18:47 Sounds like this book was quite well done. I haven't heard of the case, either. I would love to know more about it. The organization appeals to me; you need that in a book like this. Thanks.
Definitely an excellent read if you enjoy true crime. A powerful and gut-wrenching read with plenty of relevant detail. Very well done.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:44 I don't remember this case and now I'm interested. I very much enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. Thanks for a thorough review of a difficult book.
Thank you - much appreciated! This is definitely a fascinating case - very dark but worthwhile reading if you like true crime. A real page-turner.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”