Official Review: Bring Home the Bacon by Larry Tracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Bring Home the Bacon by Larry Tracy

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bring Home the Bacon" by Larry Tracy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bring Home the Bacon is a book about delivering presentations more effectively and honing your overall speaking skills. It's written by Larry Tracy, a man with decades of experience speaking to audiences that are often less than receptive. He retired to become a speech coach, and this book is the culmination of all of his knowledge. It deals with subjects from overcoming fear of public speaking to various preparation strategies, all in a brisk 131 pages.

This book's greatest strength, of course, is the author's expertise. He shares relevant and interesting anecdotes, such as the time he spoke in favor of foreign policy choices in front of students who were extremely critical of the government, to justify his teachings and keep reader interest. This made the book truly feel like a veteran speaker was sharing his understanding of presentations with the reader - there aren't any worksheets to fill out at the end of each chapter, so it has none of the tedium of other instructional books that try ineffectually to mimic textbooks.

Bring Home the Bacon is also very well-organized. The author advocates the S3P3 method, and he mostly focuses on the three P's: planning, practicing, and presenting. After an introductory portion that provides an overview of the entire method, there's one part for each P, broken into logical sub-categories. This was extremely helpful, as it allowed me to group different concepts about public speaking while I was reading without being so formulaic that it felt boring or dry. Tracy's tone also helps with this. He's to-the-point, but his writing still feels conversational and engaging.

Unfortunately, as with many books of this nature, there were some fairly significant editing problems. These included misplaced quotation marks, missing spaces, and the occasional misspelled word. It's truly a shame that these were so prevalent since I found the book so informative, but unfortunately, I can't overlook them as they were quite distracting at times.

Because of these editing problems, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to people looking to improve their public speaking skills, especially anyone who has to do a lot of public speaking as a result of their job or who presents in the realm of business. Reading the book alone won't automatically make you a better speaker, but its insights are valuable and communicated very effectively, meaning putting them into practice will significantly boost your presentations.

Bring Home the Bacon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't have thought a book by this name would be about public speaking. It sounds like it does have quite a few good tips for those that speak often. I don't really have any use for this, but I will keep it in mind for others or for a future date. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I could do well with a copy of this book. I really need to have better strategies when making presentations. Thank you for your insightful review of this book.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Too bad about the editing. This sounds like it could be a good resource.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I was required to take a speech class as a college freshman and dropped it so many times I finally took it as a senior. I was terrified to speak in public and could have used a book like this. Now I'm curious what the 3S's are. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Same as kandscreeley, I did not expect that a book with this title will be about public speaking. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the title and the book cover. Your review states that this is a resourceful book for those who are interested in public speaking. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”