Official Review: I Drove a Crooked Mile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: I Drove a Crooked Mile

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Drove a Crooked Mile" by Gordon Richardson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've rubbed shoulders with truck drivers, I've watched them skillfully operate their heavy machinery, but I've never had the opportunity to have an in-depth conversation with one. Gordon Richardson's I Drove a Crooked Mile brought me closer to the world of trucking, all the while answering any queries I might have had about the industry.

The author's path into trucking came as a consequence of him, knowing he could be a murder suspect, fleeing town to go hide out at his brother's place in Utah. Three months down the line, with little money left, he decided to turn his life around and abandon the life of drugs and violence. This decision led him to Alabama, where he decided to learn how to drive a truck. He swallowed his pride, started at the bottom and learned the tricks of the trade as he went along.

The writing is sophisticated enough to qualify this book as a great read, yet simple enough for novices on vehicles and machinery to comprehend. On occasions where the author uses technical terms about vehicles and vehicle parts, he provides elaborate explanations that left me feeling enriched. Besides that, I also learned trucker's lingo. Discovering this slang was an unexpected pleasure. One feature that stood out is that the author refers to most of the characters by their nicknames, as those are the names they preferred. He also admits that a lot of people he's interacted with in the past don't even know his real name, and only know to him as "Flash."

Sprinkled throughout the book are nuggets of wisdom, presented as lessons from experiences that the author went through. The most memorable was him working for a truck owner who never spent a dime on fuel, heavily relying on the five-finger discount. From this, he learned that no stolen good is worth a life. I also picked up some valuable business advice, as the author shares his experience of how he rose from being an apprentice to being an owner/operator. Discipline and hard work are a requirement in any field, and on these, the author never skimped. He also insists that nothing should keep anyone in a compromising situation, and true to his words, he walked away from occasions where his employers tried to take advantage of him.

With a dose of humor, the author sheds light on unscrupulous practices that truckers employ, like overloading and avoiding weight checks, which seem to be essential skills for truckers to possess. The one vice the author didn't admit to engaging in is overspeeding. For this, I give him a round of applause. He advocates for road safety and reiterates that these are habits he wouldn't encourage anyone to pick up.

The only quarrel I have with this book is that I encountered more than ten typos, mostly misspelled words. Although they didn't detract from the story, they drop the book's rating to 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I Drove a Crooked Mile was eye-opening. It is a book I would recommend to travelers, trucking enthusiasts, fans of non-fiction, and lovers of inspirational stories.

I Drove a Crooked Mile
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! I Drove a Crooked Mile seems to be an inspirational memoir. It would be worth knowing about the author's experience from being successful from scratch. Thanks for the review!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

This seems like an unconventional topic to write about. I am definitely giving this one a try.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I have seen this book pop up in the selections and kept thinking I would like it. Your review has intrigued me even more. I didn't realize he started out on the run. Sounds like an entertaining read. Thank you for the great introduction to the book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

What an interesting topic! This seems like a unique read, and it's nice to know that the author educates the reader in an enlightening way. The seedier anecdotes sound like they'd add some suspense in what might be otherwise a dull topic. I bet this would be good research material for any writer looking to write about a trucker character. Thank you for sharing - this was a great review!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The book sounds interesting, especially how the author began trucking. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”