Official Review: A Life Lived on the Edge by Doug Stanyon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: A Life Lived on the Edge by Doug Stanyon

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Life Lived on the Edge" by Doug Stanyon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A life Lived on The Edge is a memoir written by Doug Stanyon and seems to be self-published. The author tells various stories about his journey through life; some are sombre, some informative, some entertaining. They cover facts about his profession, travels, relationships and nights out with comrades. Throughout the book, he doesn’t leave behind his old-school sense of humour. If he writes as he speaks, then it means the reader will be interacting with his ‘King’s/Queens English’ as spoken in the 60’s-70’s. He includes some slang from that era (like hooley, meaning drunken party), some that they used within their force and some local Shona tribe phrases here and there. He leaves a glossary of terms at the end of the book for the reader’s sake.

His stories are mostly from his time serving in the British South African Police, specifically within Rhodesia (current Zimbabwe). At some point, he and some of his friends from the force decided to take a break and travel the world in a quest to find the best country one would want to live in. This took the author through a journey full of adventure, fun (including a brawl here and there), hardships, hard-knock schooling and making new friends. He also had some receding hairline-pulling moments with his girlfriend/wife along the way. After his journeys through Europe, Asia, Australia and so on, he was back in Rhodesia, where he got back into the police force and served till Rhodesia as he knew it was no more.

Each chapter is concluded with a quote or short poetry lines that he attributes to the appropriate author. For example, “Hath man no second life? Pitch this one high!” (Matthew Arnold). He also includes maps where necessary (as depicted in those days) as well as pictures and document scans to give the reader some context to his stories.

The only other book I have read previously that comes close to this is In Teleki’s Footsteps by Tom Heaton, which follows his journey through East Africa either in the seventies or eighties. In one of his stories, Stanyon mentions a stint in Tangier, Morocco that brings to mind Mois Benarroch’s books that mention the place from time to time. I liked the fact that his stories are told from the perspective a European settler rather than from the view of those who fought for independence. His interactions with fellow African officers show he saw them as equals. I recommend this book to those who like memoirs, biographies and travel stories.

I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. The author tells his story in an easy to follow manner if the reader would find his British English palatable. One may want to keep a dictionary close by and a cushion under the seat for the seriously funny moments. He self-sensors strong language, so it isn’t that bad for young adults. There may be a few errors but not enough to disqualify this book as lacking in professionalism. He has organized it well into three parts comprising several short chapters within each, helping to break down the long book into manageable reading stints.

A Life Lived on the Edge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KitabuKitamu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I like biographies and travel stories, especially when they're seasoned with a good sense of humor. Thanks for the enchanting review! :tiphat:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Since I'm one of those who are into biographies and travel stories, I will add this book on my to-read list. The fact that it's based on a true story is also a bonus. Awesome and enjoyable review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A Life Lived on The Edge seems to be a memoir worth reading. This book details the author's journey through so many places, I am sure it will be an enriching experience to read it. Thanks for the review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for an enjoyable review. I could almost feel traveling with the man across the world. The town Tangier also reminds me of Mois Benarroch's works, which you have also referenced.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Thanks for your thorough review. However, it's not my type of book it has too much action and it's old-school which is not my style.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 00:09 I like biographies and travel stories, especially when they're seasoned with a good sense of humor. Thanks for the enchanting review! :tiphat:
I think you'll find this enjoyable, thanks for the comment.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 01:16 ...
Quinto wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 08:53 Thanks for an enjoyable review. I could almost feel traveling with the man across the world...
I am sure it will be an enriching experience to read it. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for passing by, happy reading!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Oulababe wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:17 Thanks for your thorough review. However, it's not my type of book it has too much action and it's old-school which is not my style.
To each his own... Thanks for the comment.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you so much for this beautiful review. I'm falling hard for memoirs these days.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What an interesting story. The travel adventures and traditional English language sound like fun. A colorful guy it sounds like. Thank you for your introduction to this intriguing book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Eva Darrington wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 10:00 What an interesting story. The travel adventures and traditional English language sound like fun. A colorful guy it sounds like. Thank you for your introduction to this intriguing book.
420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 08:03 Thank you so much for this beautiful review. I'm falling hard for memoirs these days.
You're welcome, thanks for the comments!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:

Post by Oulababe »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 22:28
Oulababe wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:17 Thanks for your thorough review. However, it's not my type of book it has too much action and it's old-school which is not my style.
To each his own... Thanks for the comment.
You're most welcome.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:

Post by Oulababe »

His life story must be told in one page-turning style if you liked it that much. I appreciate the fact that it has quotes at the end of chapters because I love quotes.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”