Official Review: Manhood101 by Eric M. Watterson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Manhood101 by Eric M. Watterson

Post by 1ditzyrn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manhood101" by Eric M. Watterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Manhood 101: 101 Principles for Becoming a Better Man by Eric M. Watterson is a collection of life lessons designed to help guide men both young and old on their journey to becoming an individual that expresses what the author calls “true manhood”. The book is divided into sections, with each section containing a central concept and several principles that the author feels support this concept. Each principle is numbered and represents its own “chapter” in the book.

There were several things I liked about this book. Each chapter began with two quotes, one from the Bible and one from prominent individuals from throughout history. From past figures such as Socrates and Albert Einstein to more recent figures such as Oprah Winfrey and Johnny Depp, these quotes serve as reinforcement for the principle that the author was introducing. I really enjoyed the correlations between the Bible verses, quotes, and the principle described. Another thing I enjoyed was the “Manhood Statement” at the end of each principle. These are affirmations that the author instructs the reader to repeat in order to help guide their journey towards manhood.

Because this is a collection of steps for life as a “quality man”, it does not read like a novel. Each chapter is short, causing the book to read more like a daily devotional calendar. While I did not have an issue with this, readers should keep this in mind when reading. I personally felt that many of the principles would also apply to becoming a “quality woman”. For example, the author discusses learning from bad decisions, making sure your decisions benefit your family and others, and replacing negative thoughts with positive ones in order to guide your actions. These are all principles that I feel apply to humanity as a whole, not just one sex.

The author appears to have a strong belief in God, and this is evidenced throughout his writing. Many of the principles he discusses remind me of Sunday School lessons from when I was a child. There are a few lessons where he directly references trusting God and asking Him into one’s heart as the “Manhood Statement” for that principle. While this did not bother me, I do want to make others aware of this prominent theme in the book.

There were several punctuation issues throughout the book. I also noticed several times where there was confusion between the words “effect” and “affect”, where the incorrect word was used at times. Because of this, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the errors, I felt that there were several strong points throughout the writing that we can all benefit from incorporating into our lives. I think these principles apply to both men and women, and would encourage others to read it for guidance on how to live more positively.

Manhood101
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 1ditzyrn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the way you say this could be for anyone especially since I'm a woman. I also like the way it's organized with the quotes at the beginning and reinforcement principle at the end. Sounds like a quality book worth reading. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aaliyah2
Favorite Book: Raising Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyah2.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Aaliyah2 »

This seems like a really good book to read for anyone. I am a new mother to a boy and it would be nice to read this and awknowledge this author’s viewpoint on “manhood.”
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I agree that this books beneficial to both males and females. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This book seems to impart a number of steps which will help anyone, and not just a particular sex, in leading a quality life. Pity the book contains punctuation errors. Thanks for the review!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

When I read the title I thought this is not for me cause I'm a girl but now that you've stated that it contains principles that apply all humanity in general I might try it.
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Aaliyah2 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 12:06 This seems like a really good book to read for anyone. I am a new mother to a boy and it would be nice to read this and awknowledge this author’s viewpoint on “manhood.”
I have a son who just turned 14. As I was reading this book, there were several times I thought to myself, "I really hope I have taught my son this." It is a book I will recommend him to read very soon.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great review. I'm not a fan of these types of books. I like the simple chapters, good message approach. I think I'll pass but I agree should be how to be a better person, not man.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

1ditzyrn wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 10:36 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manhood101" by Eric M. Watterson.]

I personally felt that many of the principles would also apply to becoming a “quality woman”. For example, the author discusses learning from bad decisions, making sure your decisions benefit your family and others, and replacing negative thoughts with positive ones in order to guide your actions. These are all principles that I feel apply to humanity as a whole, not just one sex.
That is good to discuss positive and foundational things that make up a quality man or woman. I think the quotes and Bible verses would be useful. Thanks for your review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

This seems like a book that could easily be rendered problematic. Thank you for your review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This will be a book that will be worth a read by every man even women too. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:48 I love the way you say this could be for anyone especially since I'm a woman. I also like the way it's organized with the quotes at the beginning and reinforcement principle at the end. Sounds like a quality book worth reading. Thanks.
I like that the chapters are very short. I can almost imagine reading one chapter a day as a sort of devotional type thing. Thanks for the comment!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

topdan30 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 08:26 This will be a book that will be worth a read by every man even women too. Thanks for the review
It definitely contains some good points. Thanks for the comment!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Oulababe wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:28 When I read the title I thought this is not for me cause I'm a girl but now that you've stated that it contains principles that apply all humanity in general I might try it.
There are some very good points in the book. It is a quick read if you ever decide you want to try it. Thanks for the comment!
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

The title of the book alone will make me to read it. Kudos to the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”