Official Review: Check Your Reality by Brian M. Keltner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Check Your Reality by Brian M. Keltner

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Check Your Reality" by Brian M. Keltner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Check Your Reality by Brian M. Keltner is a life-changing book that explores the power that thoughts hold over our interpretation of the world and hence, our resulting actions.

The book is divided into two parts. In the first part, the author discusses different distorted thinking patterns while in the second part, he provides solutions as to how the patterns can be transformed. Twenty-one distorted thinking patterns are explained and discussed adeptly. These sequences include overgeneralization, wishful thinking, people-pleasing, the fallacy of fairness and similar other patterns. In the chapter discussing the false pattern of “denial”, the author tells a story of Pharaoh who seats on the banks of River Nile absent-mindedly despite his kingdom been under attack by the Nubians. He consistently ignores the problem which ultimately leads to his kingdom’s destruction.

There are very many aspects of the book that resonate and sound familiar. Consequently, there is also a lot to be learned from Keltner’s advice. It is astounding to be able to recognize the effect that our thoughts have on our overall wellbeing. Possibly the best part of the book to me is, the text’s ability to make us stop and think through the perceptions and feelings we have carried along, probably for years, and sieve through them to determine their validity.

To aid the learning process that is discussed, the book contains various accounts that helped me internalize the author’s message. In one such account, a tale is told of a queen who searched relentlessly for the meaning of perfection. She read each book available but none seemed to satisfy and fully explain what true perfection is when viewed from all angles. In the end, she realized the fickleness of the concept.

I also liked the book’s coherency. It barely had any grammatical issues and the structure was well-crafted with a set format for each chapter. First, the author defined the concept to be discussed in the chapter. This was followed by examples to explain further the meaning of the concept. These two features were followed by a story illustrating and discussing the topic. Finally, there was a quote at the end of each section that summarized the chapter’s main message.

In a world divided between factions of tribes, race, gender and class, Check Your Reality by Brian M. Keltner is certain to resonate among many readers who will be courageous enough to accept the limitation of their perceptions and work towards self-awareness and accepting diversity. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Check Your Reality
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Those distorted thoughts are so second nature, it has been quite a revelation to me to know that I'm having them and that they are not, in fact, objective reality. I've read many books about this but am always interested in new ones as I need repeated exposure to actual reality. It sounds as if this book takes a charming literary approach as it includes illustrative stories. Thanks for the introduction.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
waseem8987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by waseem8987 »

Those distorted thoughts are so second nature, it has been quite a revelation to me to know that I'm having them and that they are not, in fact, objective reality. I've read many books about this but am always interested in new ones as I need repeated exposure to actual reality. It sounds as if this book takes a charming literary approach as it includes illustrative stories. Thanks for the introduction.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the distorted thinking patterns. I know I'm guilty of some of those myself. It'd be interesting to see what the author says about how to fix it. I also like the "stories" that are given to better bring home the message. Sounds like a useful book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KarlaE89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlae89.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KarlaE89 »

This book sounds fascinating! I love the idea of cognitive restructuring. I think in order to be a self-aware, moldable human, one has to have the self-possessed skill to stop a negative non-truth in its tracks, recognize it as a fallacy, and be able to replace it with reality. There are actually entire therapies dedicated to this! For example, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is often utilized when an individual is having a difficult time perceiving reality as it really is. Sometimes these distorted thoughts can be as a result of lies others have told them, or lies they have told themselves for years. Essentially, the entire premise of this therapy is captivating the maladaptive thought, recognizing it as false, and replacing it with the truth that aligns with reality. Like CBT, I think this book will be very helpful for those who need to stop and really assess the validity of their thoughts and recognize the effect these thoughts have on everyday behavior. I am very excited about reading this book and seeing what patterns of distorted thoughts I might have on a daily basis and how I can "check my reality." Thank you for your review and I'm excited to get my hands on this one!
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

But what about scientists claiming we make our own reality? Who's to say our thinking is distorted and how does anyone know what is "objective reality"? I've always hated the thought that there IS no objective reality, don't believe that, but everything seems to say there isn't. At least not for the human mind. Still, how could there not be?! What happened actually did happen even if people 'saw' it differently. Such a deep topic though it really, truly seems that it couldn't possibly be.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Hmmm. I had never heard of distorted thinking patterns before. Sounds like an interesting book. You did a good job with your review
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Aaliyah2
Favorite Book: Raising Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyah2.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Aaliyah2 »

This book is so interesting I feel that every reader can take something away from this after reading the review and I definitely look forward to reading this and hopefully become more aware of my thoughts and there impact on my life and others. Thank you for your review, it was great.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

The story of the queen got my attention most. I think chasing perfection is a waste of wonderful moments in life.
Betykm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Betykm »

Sometimes we perceive the world from a very different perceptive... it is interesting to note that is contributed by our thought system.I good read for everybody who wants to set themselves free from misconception of reality.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I can definitely relate to common thoughts that hold people back, especially when it comes to over generalization. Does the author offer any alternative solutions to these common thoughts?
:character-ariel:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”