Official Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Official Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond » 07 Sep 2018, 03:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Triumph Over Tears" by Nava Chernoff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I want to look back at all the challenges I have faced in the past and those I’m still facing and not feel so broken. I want to learn to forgive. I want to radiate positive energy everywhere I go. Maybe I want to be just a little bit like Nava.

Triumph Over Tears is an autobiography novel about Nava’s life. It is a journey through all of her battles and pain. Nava was living a happy life with both her parents near the sea. She loved the sea more than anything. Her happy life was turned into a nightmare, when she was raped by someone close to her. She was only six years old when she was sexually abused. She kept this experience to herself, and only shared it when she was older. She stopped her abuser by herself, and promised herself not to live her life as a victim. As she grew up she went through more challenges. These included her parents’ divorce, which really hurt her. As she grew older Nava experienced a lot of joys and sorrows. She always fought for what was right, which made her unpopular with her peers a lot of times. Nava had to cope when her mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. She also had to cope with her husband being diagnosed with gastric cancer. A lot of terrible events followed the death of her husband.

Nava describes how she dealt with each of these challenges, and what kept her pushing on. She shares all the wisdom she has acquired from her life. I think Nava is one among the strongest women whose story I’ve had the honor of knowing. It is so admirable how she got through such terrifying and horrible events. How she handled her oppressor on her own at the age of six is very sad to read about. However, it is also impressive. I learned a lot from her story, and I think it was very kind and brave of her to share her story with all of us. I have taken a lot of her advice into consideration. The way she handles all her struggles is inspiring. I found myself trying to apply some of her solutions to my life.

I love the letter to her mum at the beginning of the book. It is very emotional and touching. It reminded me to say the things I need to say to my loved ones while they are around. There’s really not much to dislike about this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved Nava’s touching and emotional journey. The woman she is today is a great inspiration to a lot of people going through similar challenges. This is a story that needs to be shared with as many people as it can possibly reach. I recommend it to people going through challenges. If they need help getting through them, this book would be helpful. I don’t recommend this book to children. There are some events described in the book, which are beyond their understanding.

Triumph Over Tears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Raya raymond's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Call me Mary . . . by Evelyn Cole

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 07 Sep 2018, 15:03

We need more of these inspirational books. It takes a lot of courage to deal with what Nava went through, and stay positive. Your candid and thorough review piqued my interest. Thanks for lovely insight. :tiphat:

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt » 12 Sep 2018, 16:12

Wow, what a brave woman. I can't imagine what it had to live in terror at six years old. Glad she overcame it all. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Davinasmith18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davinasmith18.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Davinasmith18 » 12 Sep 2018, 16:41

Wow! This sounds like both a heart breaking and amazing book. I think the key is Nava was determined to not live her life as a victim. She seems to have taken on the identity of a survivor and and as the saying goes, what didn't kill her made her stronger. It is awesome that you have been able to adopt some of her lessons in your life. What is one of the most profound lessons that you learned from the book that you have been able to use in your own life?

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe » 13 Sep 2018, 09:30

I think I already admire Nava. She's so courageous. This sounds like a book worth reading. Nice review.

Cardinalsparrow
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Cardinalsparrow » 19 Sep 2018, 04:56

I enjoy your reviews. This is a really great book; I always admire people who take time to talk about their battles and inspire people who are going through the same thing using their own stories, it takes so much courage.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”