Official Review: Bible Discoveries & Revelations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: Bible Discoveries & Revelations

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bible Discoveries & Revelations" by Steven C. Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a book written by Steven C. Johnson to question what Christians generally don’t question and to explore aspects of Bible teachings that the clergy rarely touch. Bible Discoveries & Revelation is published by Xlibris, US. The author describes himself as a man who has flaws, has learnt to air his opinions when under conviction and has had a hard time finding a church that keeps him fed spiritually.

“Just because a person knows and reads the Bible and can quote it chapter and verse does not mean his or her interpretations of certain verses or topics are correct: - this view applies to me as well.” -The author, Millennium. The book is split into about two hundred and ninety small chapters, each exploring a topic of interest. For instance, Tithing According to the Bible is a study of where the idea of tithing came from and why it should be done willingly and not out of fear or false expectations of reward (causing one to have a sense of entitlement). Offerings should go hand in hand with tithing. He also points out that it is important to tithe where one is genuinely fed spiritually.

He further discusses many other topics and also clusters those which are closely related adjacent to each other, like the debates on tribulation, End Time Timeline and the Millennium. These three discuss events that are closely related but difficult to explore for most Christians because they involve prophesy and happen in the future. Johnson gives his opinion and makes strong points drawing from scripture verses he draws from the old and new testaments.

The book seems to be from the author’s heart. He has seen gaps in many arguments about Bible doctrine and goes out of his way to debunk some of the truths Christians have held over the years. This creates room for anyone who reads his book to learn to question more. For instance, the idea of the Trinity is not a thing that Christians should dwell too much time discussing or debating about since there isn’t any reference to it in the original translations of the Bible. Apparently, there is no scripture that supports the widespread belief that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one. For instance, he strongly argues that the Son couldn’t sit on the right side of Himself if He is also the Father.

However, I don’t agree with all the opinions that the author holds, one of them being the idea that masturbation is a gift to help keep one’s body under control. He holds this view because the habit is not condemned in the Bible. However, I am not sure whether it is wrong for couples married to each other spending time apart. For singles, it would be next to impossible for the habit not to be a result of sexual thought/fantasy, which is considered sinful according to scripture. When a habit causes in an individual to live in guilt and it takes deliverance/divine intervention to beat it, then it may not be entirely wise to see it as an ok thing to do. There are YouTube videos that exist to support this viewpoint. There may be many sinful things in the world that are not mentioned in the bible.

I liked the fact that the author went out of his way to research each controversial idea to come up with thought-provoking conclusions on the topics he tackled in this book. He also mentions he is guided by the Holy Spirit. I would highly recommend this book to Pastors, Bible scholars, Christian study groups, etc.

The e-pub book contains quite a number of spelling errors. I have noticed at times it is caused by the app one uses to read. The author used strong language in one instance, (bull sh***) which many a staunch believer may not find amusing and see it as a red flag. Never the less it is a valuable study tool and I have learnt a lot reading this book. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Bible Discoveries & Revelations
View: on Bookshelves

Like KitabuKitamu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I do not think I would gain much from reading that book.
peterhead
Currently Reading: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by peterhead »

it seems religious leaders needs this more,i dont just fancy it's emphasis.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I was excited about this book until the masturbation part. Then came the foul language part, which is a pet peeve of mine, that should not happen in Christian writing. I will pass on this book, but thank you for your wonderful review.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

melissy370 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 05:51 I was excited about this book until the masturbation part. Then came the foul language part, which is a pet peeve of mine, that should not happen in Christian writing. I will pass on this book, but thank you for your wonderful review.
True, if you are willing to wear the goggles of grace and read through, you will be surprised by the insights of the author.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Britty01 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 07:42 Thanks for the detailed review. I do not think I would gain much from reading that book.
peterhead wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 04:07 it seems religious leaders needs this more,i dont just fancy it's emphasis.
Thanks for visiting and your comments!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

It's rare to find a Christian that is brave enough to question the Bible. I do agree with the fact that not all people who read the Bible interpret the verses correctly.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 14:37 It's rare to find a Christian that is brave enough to question the Bible. I do agree with the fact that not all people who read the Bible interpret the verses correctly.
Very true, thanks for passing by.
E_Thompson7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-thompson7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by E_Thompson7 »

Very interesting... I love genuine truth-seeking questions. This sounds like my cup of tea! Thank you for your review!
iseazylife
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iseazylife »

I quiet agree with the idea that, many people quote the Bible and interpret it base on their understanding. But I don't agree with most of his submission here. For instance, bible did not says that Jesus is sitting at the right hand SIDE of the Father, but says He is sitting at the right hand of the Father. Which I believe are two different thing. If I say somebody is my right hand man does not mean that person is always standing on my right hand side.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Thanks for the detailed review as one member noticed above. The book looks interesting to me, since I also study the bible. I hope I can read this book. Thanks to you.
Ab001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab001.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Ab001 »

Exciting review ,am touched This Is a book i must read
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

According to this review, this book is a must-read. My point of view of Christianity has recently changed. I have. I have been a die-hard defender of the Biblical Gospel. But, I have decided to open my mind and be liberal. I would like to get an objective opinion about the different biblical topics and I think this book will give me.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Britty01 »

iseazylife wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 02:15 I quiet agree with the idea that, many people quote the Bible and interpret it base on their understanding. But I don't agree with most of his submission here. For instance, bible did not says that Jesus is sitting at the right hand SIDE of the Father, but says He is sitting at the right hand of the Father. Which I believe are two different thing. If I say somebody is my right hand man does not mean that person is always standing on my right hand side.
I understand your point and, after studying and reading quite a bit of material on the subject, know that this book would not be of help to me at this juncture in my spiritual journey.
Ajayi Sola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ajayi Sola »

Most people who peruses Bible I don't think the really understand the interpretation of the verses sometimes but in other way round they do try thanks for this review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”