Official Review: Conquering your Stress & Fears

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Conquering your Stress & Fears

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Conquering your Stress & Fears" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has often been said that having a 'healthy' fear is good for one's survival. But, what happens when anxiety becomes a dominating force in a person's life, and it seems to dictate and limit choices? In his book, Conquering Your Stress and Fears, Gustavo Kinrys, M.D offers his professional advice on how to effectively get emotions under control to live a better quality of life.

The book is divided into four highly organized chapters. To begin, the author educates readers about the signs, symptoms, and causes of anxiety, stress, and fear. While this may sound elementary, he presents useful information so that it can be determined what is considered within reasonable limits and where some individuals might need to seek out medical help. From worrying, insomnia, to panic attacks, he leaves no stone unturned to expose areas of concern and emphasizes the need to address these issues due to the physical toll it can take on the body over time.

Following this insightful knowledge, the next part of the book introduces a comprehensive list of nutritionally based remedies. While he does not discourage from using traditional forms of medicine, he highlights the power that nutrition can play in helping our bodies 'feel good' by bringing our natural chemicals back in line. For example, have you ever been up all night thinking about every single problem that you are facing? You may not know this, but according to this author, a lack of serotonin may cause you to experience insomnia. This causes the brain to stay awake, and sleep becomes elusive. While we might think that the worrying is keeping us up, it might be that this vital chemical is running low causing us a sleepless night. His point is that with supplements providing proper nutrients, we can find relief we may not have considered before.

Were you aware that lavender was used long ago to tame lions and tigers? In the third chapter, the author delves into the use of herbal remedies that have been scientifically proven to reduce the symptoms of stress. Again, you will find a detailed list of these, and he gives a thorough explanation of each one and how they calm the mind. I found this section especially interesting because I have been a green tea drinker for years, and I had no idea all of the mental health benefits contained in my cup.

In the final section of this useful guidebook, he suggests utilizing cognitive behavioral therapy to combat inner conflicts by making oneself aware of negative thoughts and exchanging them for positive thinking. Also included are ideas on how to incorporate relaxation techniques, a physical exercise routine or various forms of meditation. He leaves it up to readers to explore what would work best for them.

My favorite part of the book was about the virtual reality techniques that are being used to help people deal with fears, namely phobias. What a wonderful addition to the field of mental health where conditions can be presented in a safe environment to help suffers from adverse fear. He speaks about the terror of flying and how people can be put in a virtual plane for a ride right in a clinician's office. This gives participants a chance to go at their own pace without the constraints of trying to use a real airplane and possibly having other people around.

Readers will find at the end of each chapter a table for reference with all the treatment options listed and their benefits. I thought this was a nice touch for a quick look at what had been discussed, and if a person would want to pursue any of his suggestions, this makes it quite simple. Also, this author cautions through the entire material to discuss any supplement taking or changes with a physician. Some drugs can interact negatively with natural remedies, so he wants to be sure that no one is harmed by his advice.

I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars for its impeccable writing in which I only found one error. About halfway through the book, I wrote in large capital letters in my notebook: OPTIMISM. For those looking for relief from depression, anxiety or fear, you will find resources compiled into an easy to read format that may help you get on your way to living a more peace-filled life.

Conquering your Stress & Fears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This one seems to be a winner! You didn't mention Dr. Kinrys' medical field. I am curious since he advocates meditation and herbal remedies.

I don't have sleeping issues despite my million worries, haha. But it won't hurt to know the secrets this book shares.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 02:57 This one seems to be a winner! You didn't mention Dr. Kinrys' medical field. I am curious since he advocates meditation and herbal remedies.

I don't have sleeping issues despite my million worries, haha. But it won't hurt to know the
secrets this book shares.

From what I gathered from his author page on Amazon, it appears he is the associate medical director for clinical trials and his area of expertise is mental health. He really doesn’t talk about himself in the book. I could just tell though by what he wrote, he is compassionate and desires to help people. Not once did he discourage against traditional medicine but encouraged the use of natural means to help as well..even in conjunction but at the direction of a physician. I like that because I think it is rare. Usually it’s traditional against natural. This book seems to stress what is best for each individual versus a cookie cutter approach. Thanks for reading my review.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have only recently begun to explore herbal remedies and cures for many different things. So, I LOVE that this book offers some of those here for anxiety and stress. There are so many great ones out there. All in all, it sounds like a fabulous, must-read! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

This book sounds like a very useful and practical way of dealing with stress and anxiety.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I will be checking this out. Its sad that many of the causes of anxiety and stress are not so obvious. Glad that this is very detailed and thorough. I appreciate that there is a higher focus on mental health and the causes of distress.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

Sounds like this book can help a lot of people
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I'm very interested in learning how to deal with stress. How does green tea have mental health effects? That's scary.
PIerce32265
Currently Reading: Never Say Never - Free Preview
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by PIerce32265 »

when a person have adownnxiety or stress they start to break down cause they didn't know about this book on how to control these signs .it tell what to do about control your stress or anxiety it has to do with eating nutrition played a good role on control your anxiety or stress.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This sounds like an effective holistic primer for emotional healing. I am also curious what the author's background it. Thanks for this beautiful introduction to the book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Over the years i've struggled with fear as a result of something that happened to me in school in my teenage years. There was this teacher who ised to be so harsh to his students that i became fearful of him. Slowly this fear manifested itself in other aspects of my life. However, now i have overcome it and im grateful to God for that. Books like thiz one would go a long way in helping others out there struggling with fear
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a very interesting book. I will definitely add it to my list of books to read. I would like to learn more about practical ways to have a less stressful life. I especially liked your example of using lavender
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that helps the reader to manage psychological conditions by using natural remedies sounds helpful. The author offers his professional advice on deal with such conditions. A table for reference at the end of each chapter sounds helpful. That it is well edited is another bonus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not usually into self help books but from reading your review, interested in learning the herbal remedies in addition to the long list provided on nutritional based remedies for coping with stress and fears. I added to my interested in reading shelf.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson

Post by lesler »

This looks like an excellent straightforward approach to deal with things about ourselves that hinders our lives. I look forward to reading this!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”