Official Review: An Awakening Walk by Jennifer Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: An Awakening Walk by Jennifer Johnson

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Awakening Walk" by Jennifer Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jennifer Winn Johnson begins her days with affirmations and prayer. “Dear Angels, Guides, and God, can I actually do something like this? I mean, the Camino route I’m planning to walk is 500 miles long and I don’t even like to hike….” From her home in California, Jennifer Johnson’s prayerful conversations prepare her for the famed Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. Johnson’s 2017 memoir, An Awakening Walk: 500 Miles to Self-Love and Acceptance on the Camino de Santiago, proves that yes, in fact, she can do it.

The Camino de Santiago is the route taken for centuries by spiritual seekers to the Apostle St. James shrine in Northern Spain. The trek takes over a month, walking five to eighteen miles each day. Most walkers, or pilgrims, carry heavy backpacks and stop for the night at rustic group hostels, or albergues. This didn’t appeal to Jennifer Johnson.

“Why am I afraid to walk the Camino with the big pack? Is this necessary? It sounds like a nightmare. You know I don’t believe we must struggle to be close to You....” Johnson set out to prove to herself that a spiritual life doesn’t require struggle. Careful to accommodate her physical needs, she begins her pilgrimage in Barcelona. A daily spiritual practice provides the foundation of her quest for self-acceptance. Johnson allows herself to take cabs for final stretches when her body is weary, has her luggage transported rather than carry a heavy backpack, and stays in hotels rather than the community albergues. Refusing to let her fears and doubts rule her, Johnson perseveres - one step at a time, one prayer at a time - and completes the journey.

Johnson’s writing style is decisive and easy to navigate. The book appears to be professionally edited, as I found only minor errors. Thirty-five chapters, one for each day of the walk, provide structure for the narrative. While I wanted to see what each day would bring for Jennifer, the entries eventually became somewhat tedious. Most days consisted of early breakfast, walking alone or with others, sore muscles, tapas and wine for dinner, retiring to the hotel, and sleep. I was hoping for more imagery about the Spanish countryside, the ancient architecture, and the connections with other pilgrims.

Though I have not experienced this pilgrimage myself, I have read several books and seen films about it. I honor the belief that struggle and strife are not prerequisites for a spiritual life. Taking cabs and staying in hotels allowed Johnson to accomplish the journey. I wondered, though, if she didn’t miss one of the hallmark gifts of the Camino: connection with others. Johnson chose not to lodge with the other pilgrims, dine with them, sleep with them, pray with them, and share daily triumphs and tribulations with them. Her journey was primarily solo. She engaged lightly with others at restaurants or on the trail but didn’t seem to forge deep connections. This may have been her intent, but it was something I missed.

I was rooting for Jennifer Johnson to overcome significant challenges. And she did. Paying attention to her body’s needs, she made sensible choices, spoke many prayers and cried many tears on her quest for self-acceptance. She accomplished walking the Camino her way, overcoming lifelong fears and doubts about her weight and endurance.

I imagine this book will appeal to spiritual seekers and those striving for a more loving sense of self. The spiritual references are diverse, primarily reflecting Eastern wisdom traditions and teachings from A Course in Miracles. You will not see many traditional Christian references. Camino purists will likely not appreciate this book. But if you are curious about a gentler, kinder way through life, you may love Jennifer Johnson’s version of the Camino de Santiago.

I rate An Awakening Walk 3 out of 4 stars. While I was hoping to be more wowed by the details of this non-fiction effort, I appreciated the optimism, the prayer, and the quest for self-love. Not insignificantly, Jennifer found her purpose on the trail; she now takes groups of people to experience the pilgrimage. It is said that the effect of the Camino begins when you finish the walk. Perhaps Jennifer Winn Johnson will share more with us as her pilgrimage continues.

An Awakening Walk
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I like that she put her own spin on the walk. I don't think it's necessary to do what everyone else is doing in order to be closer to God, you can do it in your own way.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Felista tanui
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felista tanui »

Her faith makes all the jorney possible without struggle.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I will always love a book about self-love and acceptance but I wished she'd made deep connections. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I have not experienced this pilgrimage myself, I have read several books and seen films about it. I honor the belief that struggle and strife are not prerequisites for a spiritual life. Taking cabs and staying in hotels allowed Johnson to accomplish the journey. I wondered, though, if she didn’t miss one of the hallmark gifts of the Camino: connection with others. Johnson chose not to lodge with the other pilgrims, dine with them, sleep with them, pray with them, and share daily triumphs and tribulations with them. Her journey was primarily solo. She engaged lightly with others at restaurants or on the trail but didn’t seem to forge deep connections. This may have been her intent, but it was something I missed.
I like that she experienced the pilgrimage on her own terms, but I think you raise a good point, here. Excellent review, Eva!
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Great review. I think I might read this one. She sounds like a strong & independent woman. She did the walk yet did not go the usual route. She did it her own way.

This is definitely an inspirational book.

Good job.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I must confess I have never heard of this pilgrimage before, but I can totally see how "Camino purists will likely not appreciate this book." Perhaps it's the idea of feeling like a pilgrim versus a tourist...? Thanks for this articulate review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 02:16 I like that she put her own spin on the walk. I don't think it's necessary to do what everyone else is doing in order to be closer to God, you can do it in your own way.
Great review!
That is what I really appreciated about this woman's journey as well. Thank you for reading and sharing a comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Felista tanui wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 05:40 Her faith makes all the jorney possible without struggle.
Yes, I agree! Thank you for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JR Mercier wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 07:11 I will always love a book about self-love and acceptance but I wished she'd made deep connections. Loved your review.
Yes, I was hoping for that as well. Thank you for dropping by and sharing some thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 07:29
I like that she experienced the pilgrimage on her own terms, but I think you raise a good point, here. Excellent review, Eva!
Thanks so much for sharing a comment, Cecilia. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kvlegaux wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:39 Great review. I think I might read this one. She sounds like a strong & independent woman. She did the walk yet did not go the usual route. She did it her own way.

This is definitely an inspirational book.

Good job.
Yes, I hope you enjoy the book. It is a feel-good read. Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:51 I must confess I have never heard of this pilgrimage before, but I can totally see how "Camino purists will likely not appreciate this book." Perhaps it's the idea of feeling like a pilgrim versus a tourist...? Thanks for this articulate review!
You got it. It is worth checking out some of the chronicles people have written about this pilgrimage. There is also a pretty good film about the Camino by Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen, called "The Way." Thanks so much for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Spiritual type books are not usually my forte. However, the idea of a pilgrimage of this type does appeal to me as far as my own faith and set of beliefs. I would be curious to see how the author makes it through even if she didn't necessarily do it the traditional way. Thanks so much for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 12:25 Spiritual type books are not usually my forte. However, the idea of a pilgrimage of this type does appeal to me as far as my own faith and set of beliefs. I would be curious to see how the author makes it through even if she didn't necessarily do it the traditional way. Thanks so much for the information.
Thanks, kandscreeley. You might not like this particular book, but the Camino is a pretty interesting phenomenon. If you like films, "The Way" is a fun introduction to the Camino de Santiago.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”