Official Review: The Unofficial Author's Guide To Selling...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Unofficial Author's Guide To Selling...

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unofficial Author's Guide To Selling Your Book On Amazon" by Richard McCartney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you an aspiring author who’s ready to publish their first book and looking for a guide that gives you the secret to becoming an instant NYT bestseller overnight while making millions by the end of the week?

If so, this is not the book for you.

As an author myself, I’m always suspicious of the books promising results with popularity and sales numbers. “There’s no proven formula,” as so many have told me. “Anyone promising you results is lying or trying to scam you.”

But Richard McCartney, author of The Unofficial Author’s Guide to Selling Your Book on Amazon, does not promise instant bestseller status. He doesn’t say you’ll be able to quit your day job on Monday or even boast that his proven technique will have your sales climbing the charts like Spider-Man trying to save Mary Jane from a thousand-foot drop.

What he does is give simple ways to use Amazon’s systems to the self-published author’s advantage. As a reader, I found this book to be a fascinating look into how Amazon works. As an author who got frustrated with the self-publishing track, I found this uplifting. It put so many small things that could have a big impact in my control.

From selecting proper categories to getting your book to appear alongside bestsellers in its genre, this short guide is packed with tips and tricks that could actually have an impact on visibility. Even better, they are all things the author can do without shelling out hefty chunks of change. There are many services out there promising success for the low, low price of…not so low, after all. And once the author has paid this price, the results are never seen. I quite appreciated McCartney’s no-nonsense approach to bookselling. I also found the way he pulled Amazon’s “secrets” out to be useful. Really, they aren’t secrets. Just things an author may never think of if it’s not pointed out. There are definitely things here that I never thought of, and I can’t be the only one. McCartney puts them in simple terms—like the difference between KDP and browsing categories and how to use them effectively.

One of the best things about this book is that McCartney also gives tips for what not to do. For example, he dedicates a chapter to removing negative reviews. He then cautions the reader not to remove them because even bestsellers from wildly successful authors have bad reviews. He also encourages authors to take a look at what’s causing these reviews. Is it just that the book is in the wrong categories and not getting to the right readers? Or is it that the book is poorly formatted/edited? Regardless, McCartney says not to delete negative reviews, but instead, he offers ways to maximize on the positive reviews. Fantastic advice.

I noticed exactly one error in the book. Due to how well this is written and the outstanding advice it gives, I rate The Unofficial Author’s Guide to Selling Your Book on Amazon 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to self-published authors, new and established, who seek ways to get their work in front of a wider and more appropriate audience. This book truly is full of useful information. And for those who read this and think “great, but I don’t have time,” there are suggestions for well-known, reputable paid services that can help at the end. Oh, and have questions? McCartney invites readers to contact him and provides his email address. Truly, this is one of the best self-publishing books I’ve read. Color me impressed.

The Unofficial Author's Guide To Selling Your Book On Amazon
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a fantastic book! I loved the targeted, no nonsense approach. Thank you for the thorough and enlightening review. :tiphat:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

This book seems like a very helpful one for authors. I hope they purchase and read it. I like your review. Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow! This sounds like a truly helpful book. I love the point about not removing negative reviews. Excellent review. Thanks for the recommendation!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your detailed review! This sounds like a book that would be extremely useful for me. I'm also wary of reading books that promises quick success but this book sounds like it will give you 'real tips'. I'm going to give this book a try :)
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I loved how you wrote this review! This sounds like a very helpful book for aspiring authors and I'm glad that you pointed out that it's not just another book that promises quick results. This sounds like it would actually be worth the read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love this review! I am curious how Amazon works in that way as well. So, even though I'm not an author, I might read this one just to look behind-the-scenes. It sounds like he has some good tips but is very realistic about how much he can help. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

What a useful, helpful book. It sounds great.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

The part where the author advises against deleting negative reviews got my attention because I believe in that too. I think I'd give it a try.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for such an engaging review. I know that my plan to write a book is still supposed to materialise within the next decade. However, it wouldn't hurt to have this in my Want to Read list in case my plan comes into fruition earlier than I've initially intended it to. I'm also curious to know what that one and only error you've found could be.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”