Official Review: Joy Unspeakable by Joy Hopper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Re: Official Review: Joy Unspeakable by Joy Hopper

Post by Allyseria »

What an interesting book! I don't normally read books that centers around religion, but from your review, I think I'm going to give this book a try. I love that it has humour in the book too :) Most books don't do well in the laugh-out-loud category. Thank you for your review!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm not into religious books either but Joy's story seems really interesting. I'm open to reading this. Thank you for the review.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

This book sounds exactly like how I want to read and learn about something new. Give me a no-holds barred, funny book to get through a tough topic and I will love it. Thank you for your review as it paints a great picture of this book.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

christabel88 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:33 Lovely review! I always find your reviews interesting as you seem to have a sense of humor. Glad Joy was able to pull out from the oppression.
Aww! You're making me blush. Thank you so much. :oops: :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Allyseria wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:49 What an interesting book! I don't normally read books that centers around religion, but from your review, I think I'm going to give this book a try. I love that it has humour in the book too :) Most books don't do well in the laugh-out-loud category. Thank you for your review!
I hope you enjoy it! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

prospero360 wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:35 I'm not into religious books either but Joy's story seems really interesting. I'm open to reading this. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for commenting and I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a chance.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

jcoad wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 22:00 This book sounds exactly like how I want to read and learn about something new. Give me a no-holds barred, funny book to get through a tough topic and I will love it. Thank you for your review as it paints a great picture of this book.
Thank you and I couldn't agree with you more. Life is serious enough as is. I'd rather laugh and cry at the same time. :tiphat:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your honest and insightful review. Each of us has our own unique sets of experiences that affect our corresponding viewpoints, decisions, and actions. Whereas whatever the author encountered in her past life is really quite unfortunate and my perspectives and choices may differ from hers, it is good to note that she was able to live life not just with the much-needed equanimity or stoicism but, instead, with more positivity and humour than expected. Her courage to even write about it all is also commendable.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

This book definitely sounds like a read I'll one day check out. Especially knowing that the author triumphs in being able to escape from an abusive relationship. I also like from what you've said that there's humor in Joy Unspeakable despite all of the dark material the author's story focuses on. Also as someone who's not quite set in their religious beliefs, this is definitely a read I feel like I'd be able to tackle with no problems. So thank you for writing such an open and honest review.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I love raw and authentic books. I absolutely adore authors who treat their readers as friends talking about life over a cup of coffee. This book gives me this exact vibe and I can't wait to read it. Thak you for your thorough and insightful review!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

JR Mercier wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 00:39
christabel88 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 08:33 Lovely review! I always find your reviews interesting as you seem to have a sense of humor. Glad Joy was able to pull out from the oppression.
Aww! You're making me blush. Thank you so much. :oops: :tiphat:
You are most welcome!
Opawoye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Opawoye »

Wow!!! This book has really changed my perception and views about religion. The twist and Joy's ordeals and experience is something intriguing for me. Kudos
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Espie wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 01:08 Thank you for your honest and insightful review. Each of us has our own unique sets of experiences that affect our corresponding viewpoints, decisions, and actions. Whereas whatever the author encountered in her past life is really quite unfortunate and my perspectives and choices may differ from hers, it is good to note that she was able to live life not just with the much-needed equanimity or stoicism but, instead, with more positivity and humour than expected. Her courage to even write about it all is also commendable.
I love how insightful your comments are. You always say just what is needed. Thank you so much and yes, what she did was extremely courageous. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

rainydaysc64 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 11:16 This book definitely sounds like a read I'll one day check out. Especially knowing that the author triumphs in being able to escape from an abusive relationship. I also like from what you've said that there's humor in Joy Unspeakable despite all of the dark material the author's story focuses on. Also as someone who's not quite set in their religious beliefs, this is definitely a read I feel like I'd be able to tackle with no problems. So thank you for writing such an open and honest review.
I admit I was a bit scared because people can become nasty when they find out your religious beliefs, or lack thereof. I have been so happy to see so many supportive comments and I am so relieved to know I am not alone. :lol2: Thank you for the comment and I hope you enjoy the book.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Morgan Jones wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 05:53 I love raw and authentic books. I absolutely adore authors who treat their readers as friends talking about life over a cup of coffee. This book gives me this exact vibe and I can't wait to read it. Thak you for your thorough and insightful review!
I hope you enjoy it! And this book is definitely of the raw variety. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”