Official Review: American MIsfit by David Tabatsky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: American MIsfit by David Tabatsky

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American MIsfit" by David Tabatsky.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American Misfit by David Tabatsky is the true story of the author's detention in a Japanese prison for possession - and suspected dealing - of marijuana. Japanese police burst into Tabatsky's house in the urban sprawl of greater Tokyo. They find a small amount of marijuana and demand to know his supplier. He is taken "downtown" to the police station, booked and put in a cell for the night, which he shares with three other men. He has no idea how the legal system works in Japan or how long he will remain imprisoned. The original holding period is three days, which can be extended by ten - and it is. Then the prosecutor adds another ten...

Tabatsky's writing style impressed me from the opening scene where the police invaded his home. His sentences are sharp and concise: "They talk all at once. Heads are twitching. Their mouths make noise like tense birds. They strike matches and blow. Smoke gets in our eyes. They’re yapping at each other. My ears are pestered with bumbling English." The book also includes many examples of literary prose, such as: "The walls are blank memory banks, tainted momentarily by one man’s folly, only to be erased to absorb the next bust of foolishness." Describing the interior of the police station, this clearly refers to mug shot photographs taken against these walls.

This book is a compelling exploration of how Tabatsky loses his sense of control, then all sense of self, the longer he remains imprisoned. His behaviour becomes erratic. He suffers from insomnia and headaches. He also loses his sense of humour, which is a big deal for a man who is a clown and street performer. The narration is a real eye-opener for anyone who has not personally experienced time in prison. And the judicial system in Japan is far more rigid than that in the United States, especially for drug offences.

Tabatsky states: "There is a popular proverb in Japan, which says, 'The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.'" This is an apt metaphor for the relative conformity of Japanese life, with people taught to work hard to fit in. Americans, by contrast, are encouraged to stand out, be bold, express themselves in unique ways. As a Caucasian man in Japan, a "Gaijin", Tabatsky believes he is similar to a black or brown man in America, who would be indicted for the same minor offence due to the bigotry of the judicial system. "One man's privilege is another's detriment."

The narrative of American Misfit is quirky and creative. Tabatsky even narrates an ongoing boxing bout between his "sound mind" and his "unsound mind" to symbolise his deteriorating mental and emotional state. The book also has many interesting insights into Japanese culture and customs, with the main jailhouse narrative broken up by other events from Tabatsky's life in Tokyo. We learn about his tiny eight-by-seven-foot apartment, the rail system, public baths, and more. It also includes some moving moments during the author's tough time in prison, including a visit from his best friend "Iggie" (Igarashi) on day 24 of his prison stay. Tabatsky finds himself gripping Iggie's forearm firmly throughout their conversation, terrified to let go.

The only aspect of this book I found annoying was Tabatsky's continuous substitution of "l" for "r" (and vice versa) for Japanese speech most of the way through the book. While cute and amusing at first, certain longer sentences took time to decipher, plus it felt just a bit racist. I think a small sample at the beginning would be enough for the reader to get the idea, then write the rest in plain English for readability.

I believe American Misfit is worthy of 4 stars. It is a strongly written and compelling story of one man thrown well out of his comfort zone, losing control of his own life. Unfortunately, I found ten errors by around page 190, so I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in real human drama or Japanese culture. Just be aware that it does contain some coarse language, which I found justified given Tabatsky's emotion-charged predicament.

American MIsfit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book seems really interesting! Certainly, the prison experience must affect in some way your sense of self and your general mental state, and it´s thought-provoking how someone in a position of certain privilege happens to be on the opposite side when faced with a different culture.
Thanks for your review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I appreciate your thorough review, this book does not interest me currently. The front cover makes it look more comical than I am sure it is meant to be. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I kind of agree with you about the language. That would get rather annoying after a while. Still, it sounds like an interesting and worthwhile story. I can't imagine being imprisoned in Japan. Wonder how their prison system differs from ours here in the US. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! Very detailed and informative. I especially appreciated the clips you included from the book - they really gave me a feel for the interesting writing style. Thanks!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review. I love how you put out sentences from the book to prove your point. I wouldn't exactly say substituting 'l' and 'r' as racist, but like you said, the author could've explained it in an Author's note in the beginning of the book.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Since I have never been to prison, I would read this book solely for a realistic understanding of what it's like to go to prison (without actually going to prison). I do not mind the language, as foul language is understandable given the characters situation and the discrimination people still experience when living in a different culture. I do think it's interesting that the author wrote about the difference between American and Japanese culture, especially when it comes to imprisonment and the ideas of conformity. Since this is a true story, I would like to read this to get a better understanding of the difference. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Getting jailed in itself must be a very scary experience, let alone being jailed ina foreign prison. This doesn’t sound like my kind of book plus I do not like when someone puts others down for being or sounding different. Thanks for a cool review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Lunastella wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 06:07 This book seems really interesting! Certainly, the prison experience must affect in some way your sense of self and your general mental state, and it´s thought-provoking how someone in a position of certain privilege happens to be on the opposite side when faced with a different culture.
Thanks for your review!
Thanks so much for your comments. I imagine prison would be an extremely difficult proposition for someone who has come from a life of relative privilege, especially in a different country with very different laws. Given David's minor offense, I felt bad for him.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 06:35 I appreciate your thorough review, this book does not interest me currently. The front cover makes it look more comical than I am sure it is meant to be. Thanks for the review.
There is a definite sense of humour running through this book, which probably explains the quirky cover. Though the content probably isn't for everyone, the quality of the writing was top-notch, which definitely made it stand out over some books I have reviewed. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 09:06 I kind of agree with you about the language. That would get rather annoying after a while. Still, it sounds like an interesting and worthwhile story. I can't imagine being imprisoned in Japan. Wonder how their prison system differs from ours here in the US. Thanks for the review.
Thanks. It was definitely an interesting story, and the humanity of David's Japanese friends and his sister doing everything they could to help free him from prison was touching.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 10:14 Awesome review! Very detailed and informative. I especially appreciated the clips you included from the book - they really gave me a feel for the interesting writing style. Thanks!
Thank you for your very complimentary comments! :D I think it really helps to include a sample or two of the writing when an author is particularly good, like David. With the sheer volume of self-published books out there now (many poorly edited or written), quality writing impresses me like never before.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Fuzaila wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 22:50 Excellent review. I love how you put out sentences from the book to prove your point. I wouldn't exactly say substituting 'l' and 'r' as racist, but like you said, the author could've explained it in an Author's note in the beginning of the book.
Thank you. I must admit, I was a little unsure as to whether to include my comment about the 'l' and 'r' substitution as seeming a bit racist, but I could see how it might have been misconstrued that way by some readers. One thing it did do, unfortunately, was make some of the Japanese-Engrish diarogue vely difficurt to lead. :wink:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Alicia09 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:20 Since I have never been to prison, I would read this book solely for a realistic understanding of what it's like to go to prison (without actually going to prison). I do not mind the language, as foul language is understandable given the characters situation and the discrimination people still experience when living in a different culture. I do think it's interesting that the author wrote about the difference between American and Japanese culture, especially when it comes to imprisonment and the ideas of conformity. Since this is a true story, I would like to read this to get a better understanding of the difference. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your detailed comments, Alicia! Yeah, the title American Misfit definitely fits this book, though David did get along very well with most of the Japanese people despite their cultural differences. I too have no problem with coarse language when it fits the story. And I'm right there with you about prison - I'd certainly prefer to read about it than experience it myself!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Supergirl1 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:30 Getting jailed in itself must be a very scary experience, let alone being jailed ina foreign prison. This doesn’t sound like my kind of book plus I do not like when someone puts others down for being or sounding different. Thanks for a cool review!
Yes, as frightening as prison is anyway, it would certainly be scarier in a foreign country. I don't think David meant to put the Japanese down with his dialogue - it was more just his quirky style of humour. But I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”