Official Review: Love Worth Making by Stephen Snyder MD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Love Worth Making by Stephen Snyder MD

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Worth Making" by Stephen Snyder MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love Worth Making by Stephen Snyder is a book about how to have better sex in a monogamous, committed relationship. It goes without saying that it's explicit, but the book talks about sex and sexual relationships in a down-to-earth, straightforward way. When most books about sex focus on different positions, toys, and other errata, a book that explores the emotional and interpersonal aspects of sex is incredibly refreshing.

Because the author is a practiced sex therapist, he's able to convey his ideas thoroughly and insightfully. Throughout the book, he shares fictionalized accounts based on experiences he's had with patients over the course of his practice, something that I found made it very easy to understand the ideas the author put forth. The writing style is also incredibly witty, and as one of Snyder's main points is that sex is far less serious than many couples make it out to be, this makes for a very enjoyable and approachable reading experience.

Love Worth Making is incredibly practical. It devotes itself to covering aspects of sexuality that relate to the majority of people in sexual relationships, heterosexual cisgender people, without being dismissive or disrespectful of other identities. Everything in the book is curated according to what the author, with his wealth of experience, believes would be most useful and applicable to a wide variety of people. I found it helpful even to read about things that didn't apply to me personally, as they could very well apply to my partner, even without their knowledge.

One of the most surprising things about this book is how introspective it is. It made me consider my sex life, as well as my partner's, from a completely different perspective. I had to stop reading at points just to reflect on different experiences I'd had and how I may have misinterpreted them! When solving problems related to sexual relationships, this is invaluable, and Snyder brings the reader to this point without it ever seeming forced or awkward.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its writing is clear, witty, and well-edited, and its content is invaluable to anyone in a committed heterosexual relationship who is struggling with their sex life. People in homosexual relationships probably won't get as much from this book, but it could still provide some perspective in these cases. Even if you're generally squeamish about sex, as I am, the tone of the book will quickly put you at ease.

Love Worth Making
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mare_1807
Favorite Book: Death Beat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mare-1807.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mare_1807 »

People are always searching for ways to improve their sex life, especially in long terms relationships, so I am curious to see what this book has to offer.
Your review is very detailed and professional.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thank you for your review!
As someone that´s been with the same partner for over 13 years, this sounds really interesting. It´s always good to reflect on this aspect of a relationship and see what can be improved. I can also be squeamish about this topics, but I´m glad it´s a comfortable read with a witty style.
I´ll give it a try!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It sounds very relatable. I'm happily married and don't struggle in this area currently, but I might pick it up to see what insights I could gain from it. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I don't have enough experience with this but what I learnt from my friends is sex is mostly about 1 night stand. Glad to know that there is more to sex than what I knew. I would like to discover more of this topic. Thank you for such detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The topic is incredibly relevant so I am so glad to see a four-star rating for this book. It may be an awkward topic to discuss or read about, but put it on your kindle and no one will ever even know what you are reading ;) Your partner will probably appreciate it though!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this author talks about other aspects of sex. I do feel that the relationship and emotional side of things can affect your sex life. Thanks for the great review. This looks like a wonderful book that could be very helpful within a committed relationship.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Many people think that sex is just about having fun. It is spiritual and there are a lot of sensitive issues involved. This book will cause persons to reflect more seriously on the topic of sex and their personal intimate relationships. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thank you for a thorough review.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

There definitely needs to be a more open conversation in general about sex. I like the approach this book takes with it, thanks for the review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

A sex manual that is about connection and relationship sounds intriguing. I appreciate your thorough and candid review. A great introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”