Official Review: Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide fo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Re: Official Review: Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide fo...

Post by truebookaddict »

I can imagine that facing a hip replacement would be very daunting. A book like this would certainly help to ease one's mind, knowing that others have faced it, and learning about the author's experiences would make one feel more informed and prepared. Definitely a helpful book, in my opinion. Thanks for your review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

There is more to life if we only have the right attitude when we face challenges in live. Focus on what's important is the key but then again we know it's not easy thinking the book is perfect to know how she did it
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I personally don’t know of many peoole who need hip replacements. At least you enjoyed the story - the fact that you read this book in one setting is amazing. Thanks for the review. Though this book seems to be an insping read, it’s not for me!
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

It probably takes lot to write of such an ordeal. It is good that the writer saw it fit not to make it so medical.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

This seems like an interesting read for those who have had the surgery or need tips on aftercare. I personally feel it's not a book that I would enjoy reading or have use for at this point in my life.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems like a very helpful book that tells a person who is about to go under hip replacement surgery what to expect and how to accommodate a home prior to such experience. Details on how to live a life after surgery are also helpful. Intriguing review!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. A book about hip replacement surgery could be a book that can help many people deal with this issue. It's great how the author shared her story to help others. Thanks for your review.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

This comprehensive handbook is perfect as a resource for people in need of information about hip and joint replacement with lots of information on what to expect and how to prepare for joint replacement. All in the experience of the author. Not for me right now but will share for those in need.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Theo Sanders »

I had a hip replacement several years ago, and this would have been a very handy resource to have back then - particularly the post-operative preparation, for which I was woefully under-prepared! It will also be a useful tool for family and caregivers, to know what to expect.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Even if I don't need the book right now, I appreciate the author's intention to help those facing hip replacement surgery with a useful guide. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Amazing the range of books available on this site. I pray I'll never need this book, but who knows for sure? The sample was quite a breeze to read. Interesting that it ended with questions to ask your surgeon. The cut-off question: What about sex? Gotcha!
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

Great review. A book about hip replacement surgery is, no doubt, an important one. The subject that affects both the patient and his/her caregivers. I am glad such a resource exists. Thank you for sharing.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Butternut to Bionic is written by Tiffany Anderson, a licensed health professional with 20 years experience and also somebody who recovered from a serious illness that led to dual hip replacement. Anderson based this book on her personal experience of pain and recovery and her professional expertise of the process. Just reading the book's synopsis on Amazon, the book has double credibility. This is a great health resource for a tough surgical procedure that requires rehabilitation.

I and my siblings are now taking care of our elderly parents. My mom had brain surgery when we were younger and were just swamped with the enormity of the medical crisis facing her. My mom's case and that of Ms. Anderson were different but the author's tips based on her professional and personal knowledge of surgeries and post-operative rehabilitation would have guided and reassured us in processing information and talking to doctors and health professionals during that difficult period. Just replace the words hip surgery with brain surgery and adjust the questions appropriately and Ms. Anderson's tips and step-by-step guide would still be relevant.

Reading the first few chapters of the book, Ms. Anderson is talking not only about hip replacement surgery and post-operative rehabilitation but more about the questions one must ask of their doctors, how to scout for the right surgeons, what to watch out for during rehabilitation and so much more. I am also inspired to know that Ms. Anderson is now on a mission to help others recover from hip replacement surgery through her website and support groups where she offers coaching services. Wow! Aside from recovering from surgery and sustaining her artificial joints, she has found new advocacy that helps many people. Thanks a lot to OnlineBookClub.org for featuring Butternut to Bionic as the Book of the Day and I wholeheartedly agree with reviewer Cecilia_L that even if the reader is not looking for information on hip replacement, he or she would still be engaged by the book because of Anderson's clear, concise and well-organized and well-structured guide book. Anderson's use of layman terms to describe medical conditions and processes heightens the readability and empathy meter of the book. Congratulations to Ms. Anderson for this book.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

I loved the theme of the book. This must be a great help to people needing hip replacement and dealing with the healing procedure. This book must state when to go for the surgery and how to go through it, both mentally and physically.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I like the illustration. It's a creative way to tackle a challenging subject. I think I would probably enjoy reading that book. Thabk you for sharing your idea about the book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”