Official Review: Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide fo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide fo...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery" by Tiffany Anderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Personally facing a hip replacement or helping a family member navigate the procedure can seem scary and overwhelming. In Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery, Tiffany Anderson shares her firsthand experience and addresses many of the concerns related to the surgery and postsurgical healing.

Anderson was only in her mid-forties when she learned she needed her first hip replacement. When her other hip also required joint replacement and then a subsequent revision, she feared a loss of freedom related to her active lifestyle. However, she faced her fears and learned effective ways to modify her movements without sacrificing quality of life. Five years later, Anderson has continued to remain active. She embraced her new lifestyle by choosing to focus on what she can do. Her purpose for writing this comprehensive handbook was to provide the type of resource she felt was lacking prior to her surgeries. Chapters include a wealth of information on what to expect and how to prepare for joint replacement.

I finished this quick read in one sitting. The author's writing style was clear and concise. In each chapter, she shared her own experience then elaborated on other possible scenarios. The book featured organized formatting and meticulous attention to detail. As a prospective patient, I would find comfort in having such pertinent information at my fingertips. This book also provides simple guidelines for helping a family member prepare their home in advance for household accommodations they will need after surgery. Though much of the content is specifically related to hip replacement, many of the suggestions apply to any surgical procedure.

My favorite feature of the book was the author's comparison of joint replacement to necessary home maintenance. The patient was compared to a fixer-upper home, while the medical team was the building crew. As an avid DIY enthusiast, I found this illustration quite engaging and much more fun to read than a book full of medical jargon.

Considering the author took a subject that was of little interest to me and thoroughly held my attention, nothing stands out to critique. Some readers may be put off by her practice of alternative pain management such as acupuncture, Reiki, and guided imagery. However, though I may not agree with all of her suggestions, I didn't feel they were overpowering or detracted from the book's overall helpful message.

The book appears to have been professionally edited, as I didn’t note a single grammatical error. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who are facing hip replacement or comparable surgical procedures. Readers who want to assist a family member with preparing or healing from joint replacement will also appreciate the comprehensive handbook.

Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

As unconventional as it is to read about hip replacement surgery, it is-nonetheless- a very important subject that affects the patient and his/her caregivers. I am glad such a resource guide exists and I will certainly add it to my TBR list. I slided smoothly through your review and I enjoyed it immensely. Great review, Cecilia. :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 15:26 As unconventional as it is to read about hip replacement surgery, it is-nonetheless- a very important subject that affects the patient and his/her caregivers. I am glad such a resource guide exists and I will certainly add it to my TBR list. I slided smoothly through your review and I enjoyed it immensely. Great review, Cecilia. :D
My thoughts exactly. It really seems to be an invaluable resource for someone facing joint replacement.
Thank you for your kind words, Ruba :coffee3-smiley:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:03 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery" by Tiffany Anderson.]

My favorite feature of the book was the author's comparison of joint replacement to necessary home maintenance. The patient was compared to a fixer-upper home, while the medical team was the building crew. As an avid DIY enthusiast, I found this illustration quite engaging and much more fun to read than a book full of medical jargon.

I like that illustration. I think I would probably enjoy reading that book. She was young to face both Hip replacements, I certainly hope everything worked out well for her.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Britty01 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 21:23
Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:03 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Butternut to Bionic: A Resource Guide for Hip Replacement Surgery" by Tiffany Anderson.]

I like that illustration. I think I would probably enjoy reading that book. She was young to face both Hip replacements, I certainly hope everything worked out well for her.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a really well written guide. Especially if you read it all in one sitting! That's say something for a book on joint replacement. I think I'm a bit too young to need this at the moment, but I will consider it for the future. I'm sure that time is coming all too quickly for me. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 13:38 Wow! This sounds like a really well written guide. Especially if you read it all in one sitting! That's say something for a book on joint replacement. I think I'm a bit too young to need this at the moment, but I will consider it for the future. I'm sure that time is coming all too quickly for me. Thanks!
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for stopping by!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:03 My favorite feature of the book was the author's comparison of joint replacement to necessary home maintenance. The patient was compared to a fixer-upper home, while the medical team was the building crew. As an avid DIY enthusiast, I found this illustration quite engaging and much more fun to read than a book full of medical jargon.
What a creative way to tackle a challenging subject: making a hip replacement akin to a DIY project. Replacement surgeries really are like construction. I am happy to know such a book exists, though I do hope to never need it. I will recommend it to my friend who is facing this in the fall. Thanks for a beautiful review, as always.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:16
Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:03 My favorite feature of the book was the author's comparison of joint replacement to necessary home maintenance. The patient was compared to a fixer-upper home, while the medical team was the building crew. As an avid DIY enthusiast, I found this illustration quite engaging and much more fun to read than a book full of medical jargon.
What a creative way to tackle a challenging subject: making a hip replacement akin to a DIY project. Replacement surgeries really are like construction. I am happy to know such a book exists, though I do hope to never need it. I will recommend it to my friend who is facing this in the fall. Thanks for a beautiful review, as always.
I thought so, too. It will be an excellent resource for your friend. Thank you for your comment.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, it sounds like this book she be advertised to doctors world wide that do these types of procedures. Just imagine if they were able to provide such a well written book like this to their patients. I bet this would help millions of people. Thanks for the great review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 07:01 Wow, it sounds like this book she be advertised to doctors world wide that do these types of procedures. Just imagine if they were able to provide such a well written book like this to their patients. I bet this would help millions of people. Thanks for the great review.
That's be great point, Amy. Thanks for your comment.
Misswonderful
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Misswonderful »

What a creative way to tackel a challengingsubject: hip replacement surgery to akin of DIY project.
Replacement surgery is like construction work. I am happy to know such a book exists. My father just had hip replacement and I can't wait to recommend this read to him and others whom are facing hip replacement. Thank for the beautiful reviews.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Misswonderful wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 16:52 What a creative way to tackel a challengingsubject: hip replacement surgery to akin of DIY project.
Replacement surgery is like construction work. I am happy to know such a book exists. My father just had hip replacement and I can't wait to recommend this read to him and others whom are facing hip replacement. Thank for the beautiful reviews.
You're welcome. I hope the book will be helpful for your father.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Any book that advises about joint replacement surgery is important one. It is good of the author to share her firsthand experiences with the reader. She was pretty young when she got her first hip replacement. Clear writing style, organized info, and good tips make for a good book. That the book was well edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an educational non-fiction book that explains hop replacement surgery and recovery. I found the book well detailed and free on Amazon Kindle. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”