Official Review: Letters From Home: I Loved Ya Before I E...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: Letters From Home: I Loved Ya Before I E...

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters From Home: I Loved Ya Before I Even Met Ya" by Barry K Free.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I recently had the privilege of reading a novel by Barry K. Free, Letters From Home: I Loved Ya Before I Even Met Ya. This novel is a true story about Barry's emotional experience with losing his wife Cheryl. It is written in the form of letters that he wrote to his grown children during the first several years after his wife passed away. He shared random thoughts with them of what life was like without their mother around, as well as many tales of how she had inspired him and others throughout her lifetime.

Barry divided his book into six parts which each covered a different stage of time in his life after Cheryl's death. He actually published an earlier version of the book which did not have the sixth part. After his first version gained some attention, he published a sixth part that contained some of his musings on events that had happened after he released the first book.

I have to highly commend Barry on his style of writing. Maybe it was because the letters were originally intended for his children, and this made the thoughts seem more real, but he has a way of describing his feelings that really catches the reader's attention. He was able to create the perfect blend of poignancy, inspiration, and even bits of humor at times. I found myself switching between laughing and crying several times because of how the intertwining of grief and amusement in life was so well portrayed. Because of his openness in his writing, it was easier to see into his soul. He was very expressive, and it felt like a close friend directly talking to you.

Near the beginning of the book, in his earlier letters, Barry mentioned the different stages of grief. I feel like he strongly experienced each of those stages as he continued to write these letters of his thoughts. At times, they may just seem like ramblings, but over the course of his reflections, I could detect that he was truly encountering the stages of grief.

As far as editing, the book was very well written. There were only a few grammar mistakes. I saw a word that should be capitalized, and occasionally there was a misplaced comma. Overall, though, everything was well-written, organized, and edited.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I know many readers will be touched by reading it. I hope many will decide to check out this very moving account of Mr. Free's experience with loss.

Letters From Home: I Loved Ya Before I Even Met Ya
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mindi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I was deeply touched by the authenticity and the transparency of the book. Your review encouraged me to add this one to my reading list. Thanks for the honest and charming review. :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I admire the author's love for his wife. It may have been 6 years yet she still lives in his heart. Love as strong as this is very difficult to find yet very much admirable. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This seems like such a sweet legacy the author wrote for his children. I admire his devotion to his wife and family. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like it would be awfully sweet and yet heartbreaking at the same time. I love my husband dearly and can't imagine my life without him. It would be interesting to see the author go through the stages of grief. Thanks for introducing this one to us. I'm just not sure I can handle this one right now, but I will keep it in mind for the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a beautiful way to chronicle the stages of grief - through the letters. I think I would enjoy the range of emotion you describe in your review. It sounds like a great book all the way around. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”