Review by MichelleFuda -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MichelleFuda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellefuda.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Review by MichelleFuda -- The Altitude Journals

Post by MichelleFuda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Upon completing the book The Altitude Journals by David J. Mauro, I rated this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The Altitude Journals documents David Mauro’s physical and spiritual journey as he attempts to summit the highest mountains in the world. Mr. Mauro takes us through his mental and physical training as he prepares for each journey, and the calling that drives him to attempt each summit.

As someone who has never read or researched anything about mountain climbing, I found this book easy to read and not overly technical. Key terms and basic facts were defined in such a way that I could understand and appreciate. It is clear that the book is primarily about overcoming mental obstacles while facing the physical difficulties of mountain climbing. Mr. Mauro recounts his journeys in such a way that even the most novice reader on the subject can relate to.

It was interesting to see how Mr. Mauro interprets each calling to start his next climb, and to see how he comes to each mental discovery through experiences along the way. As I read through each of his journeys, I found myself hoping for clarity and resolution alongside him. He is able to convey such deep emotions in very simplistic ways, while relating his struggles to those of the physical elements around him. The rawness of his divorce, childhood traumas, and parenting insecurities parallels the harsh elements of his first climb. By the time Mr. Mauro accepts the offer to climb Mt. Everest, I felt like he had come so far and was able to face his problems in a different light. He had done so much soul searching and growing as an individual that he was able to think with more clarity. His priorities had changed, and although he was facing the most dangerous obstacles, he knew what he had to do in order to reach his goal; just like in his life off of the mountain.

I really enjoyed the fact that Mr. Mauro took the time to explain the culture around each of his climbs. He shares what the native people are like, interesting facts about the area, and some photos. Even though the climbs are extremely difficult, the light-hearted nature in which he recounts some of them made me feel like “If he can do it, then why can’t I?!” Although he outlines all of the risks he takes, he doesn’t dwell on the hardships, but rather shares how he pushes through. The positive spin on the circumstances made me feel encouragement towards him rather than pity. I appreciate that he focuses more on how he will overcome the obstacles; like climbing Hillary Step on Mt. Everest or the relationship with Don.

I also really enjoyed how he shares what is going on in his life between climbs, and how much credit he gives to the people who supported him. He doesn’t just talk about himself and his journey on the mountains. He acknowledges the people in his life that sacrifice in order to make his dreams a reality. In a world where people tend to be so focused on themselves, I think it is important that he let us know how much these people mean to him. Overall, The Altitude Journals is an excellent book that not only connects you with the physicality of mountain climbing, but also makes you take a deeper look into a mental journey that is just as rewarding as summiting each mountain.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MichelleFuda's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”