Official Review: Water Oak: The Happiness of Longing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Water Oak: The Happiness of Longing

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Water Oak: The Happiness of Longing" by Sue Frederick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Water Oak: The Happiness of Longing-A Memoir by Sue Frederick is the author's transparently honest journey to make peace with her past while embracing the life she is living.

Sue Frederick is a successful magazine editor who was raised in the South by a loving father and an emotionally distant mother. Her fondest memories revolve around family vacations spent in Long Beach, Mississippi and the ever-present water oak tree where she sought solace as a child. After being widowed at twenty-nine, she still grieves the loss of her husband, Paul. Against her better judgment, she becomes entangled with Christopher, a married work colleague. When the destructive relationship finally ends, she fears she will never be loved or have children, as she desires. Desiring to make peace with the sorrows from her past, she embarks upon a spiritual journey. Throughout the book, she reminisces about simpler times, and the water oak tree from her childhood becomes an emotional touchstone for her.

What I loved most about this book was the author's skillful use of imagery. Her professional background is evident by her gift for conjuring haunting visual scenes. When Sue is in pain, the reader feels her despair. On the other hand, she possesses an amazing ability to soothe with her words. Reliving her memories, I felt cocooned by her beloved water oak. I also appreciated the author's brutally honest portrayal of her thoughts, emotions, and faults. I believe this type of transparency empowers others to be true to themselves.

What I liked least about the book was the inherent indoctrination. I respect other beliefs, but I feel the religious content should have been noted in the book's synopsis. For example, readers who don't believe in the Bible wouldn't appreciate a book preaching Christian tenets. On the same note, as a Christian, I was unprepared for the overt Hinduism taught in the book. Also, it's rife with related vocabulary, which the author assumes the reader will understand. I was unfamiliar with words such as "samsara," "Shakti," and "Guru Gita," as other readers may be.

Since the author worked as a professional editor, I was surprised by her tendency to write paragraph-long sentences punctuated by the use of multiple semicolons. I concluded that this practice was intentional, as I didn't note any other grammatical errors. However, in each instance, the wordy run-on sentences required rereading, which I found quite distracting. The errors above resulted in the deduction of a star, so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy emotionally engaging memoirs and stories that empower women. Readers who practice Hinduism or New Age beliefs will appreciate the many religious references. Bible-believing Christians may prefer to skip this one.

Water Oak: The Happiness of Longing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate an empowering story and an emotionally engaging memoir. I will add this one to my reading list. Your review is captivating and enlightening, as always. Thanks heaps! 😊
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I kind of agree with you on the spiritual aspects. There isn't anything wrong with writing a book geared towards Christians or Hindus (?). However, I think you need to know that ahead of time. Since I'm a Christian as well, it doesn't sound like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm getting tired of memoirs, it's just a personal preference. Plus I'm Christian so I think I'll take your advice and skip this one. Thanks for the honest, thorough review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 08:05 I appreciate an empowering story and an emotionally engaging memoir. I will add this one to my reading list. Your review is captivating and enlightening, as always. Thanks heaps! 😊
Thank you, Ruba. I hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 09:27 I kind of agree with you on the spiritual aspects. There isn't anything wrong with writing a book geared towards Christians or Hindus (?). However, I think you need to know that ahead of time. Since I'm a Christian as well, it doesn't sound like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:00 I'm getting tired of memoirs, it's just a personal preference. Plus I'm Christian so I think I'll take your advice and skip this one. Thanks for the honest, thorough review.
I understand. Thanks for your comment, Amy.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I actually went back and forth when trying to find a book to read. I try to read as much as I can before I make the commitment, so I was glad to see your review detailing the religious aspect of the book. I can read about other's beliefs as long as it doesn't feel too 'overpowering', and like you, I don't know what those terms are either. Sounds like I will be skipping this one. Thank you for the details so I could make an informed decision.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I started getting excited about this book when you mentioned the author's skillful use of imagery. However, the overt Hinduism made me reconsider. Thanks so much for this informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 14:42 I actually went back and forth when trying to find a book to read. I try to read as much as I can before I make the commitment, so I was glad to see your review detailing the religious aspect of the book. I can read about other's beliefs as long as it doesn't feel too 'overpowering', and like you, I don't know what those terms are either. Sounds like I will be skipping this one. Thank you for the details so I could make an informed decision.
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

stacie k wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 16:12 I started getting excited about this book when you mentioned the author's skillful use of imagery. However, the overt Hinduism made me reconsider. Thanks so much for this informative review!
I understand. You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for your honest views. I also feel for the author as she reminiscences about her past. I am glad it has an empowering message to women.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Quinto wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 07:54 Thanks for your honest views. I also feel for the author as she reminiscences about her past. I am glad it has an empowering message to women.
Thank you for your comment.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am so sorry that the author encountered so many sorrows in her past relationships. I hope that she was able to find happiness again. I am so sorry about the run-on sentences. Thank you for a very honest review of this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 20:43 I am so sorry that the author encountered so many sorrows in her past relationships. I hope that she was able to find happiness again. I am so sorry about the run-on sentences. Thank you for a very honest review of this book.
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”