Official Review: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea" by Elizabeth Rakoczy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Greece? In Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea, author Elizabeth Rakoczy and her husband, Steve, decide to sail to the exotic islands of Greece. When their children question their decision, their answer explains why throngs of people are drawn to this mysterious country. Greece is said to be the cradle of civilization.

Told through a scientist’s outlook on many matters pertaining to life, including religion, the book explores the Greeks’ mythology, history, cuisine, culture and the landscape of their picturesque lands. Rakoczy intertwines her own adventures with those of Greek legendary characters. Unique aspects of each place that they tour are adeptly brought out. In Delos, for example, the author recounts the mythical event following the birth of Apollo which is detailed in the Homeric Hymn said to have been composed around 8th century BC. The plot is further accentuated by words written by Greek philosophers as well as travel photos and images of artifacts.

The organization of the text is well-thought out considering that the book contains different sub-plots. Plots are differentiated by distinguishing fonts so as to ease reading and avoid confusion. There is also a great flow of the information contained and current details are well blended with historical accounts.

The book covers each place at a time, exploring the unique food and each people’s culture as well as their history. This provided me with a deeper understanding of each particular island and city and not just the country as a whole.

Reading Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea was like taking a tour of the Greek islands. Rakoczy tells her story well and takes different opportunities to insert remarks containing humor. The intertwining of her personal accounts in Greece while making space for ancient Greek stories brings out a wonderful narrative that is both captivating and fascinating. Including her viewpoint on life and the activities in Greece made the tone much more informative and engaging though in some instances it felt quite forthright.

The images in the book are breath-taking, to say the least. The beautiful architecture and the images of the serene landscapes captured the charm of Greece. It was interesting to view the places which appear in many historical accounts most of them dating thousands of years ago. The photos are very clear and colorful and they provide a wonderful glimpse into the background of the plot.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it not only informative but also engrossing and I recommend it to all readers with an interest in Greek mythology and history told with a touch of adventure.

Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The photos sound like an invaluable addition to the book. I don’t know much about Greece, so I could learn a lot from this book. Thanks for the information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I think Greek mythology and history is fascinating, so count me in. The beautiful pictures are bonus to an educational read. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The images would definitely add another level to this book. I haven't been to Greece and would leave to see a bit more of its architecture and beauty. Still, I'm not sure I would enjoy this one. I'll have to think about it more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I imagine the images really enhance the book. Sounds like an interesting read and a nice virtual vacation. Excellent review!
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The story seems amazing. But not for me! Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”