Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

This is quite an interesting topic of research although I doubt that I would read it. Finding the origins of quotation marks has never been something that I thought about. I really commend the author for putting in so much effort.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-flagg.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by lindsey_flagg »

This book sounds interesting, but it may be a bit too formal for my taste. I may eventually read some of it just to see for myself. In any case, this was a wonderful and thoughtful review!
Defineboy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Defineboy »

Why do we quote is an interesting and educational beneficial
Mumanyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumanyi.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Mumanyi »

Interesting review. I'm a student of English and literature myself, and I agree with you, academic material should be moderate and readable for the sake of learners. However, I think this will be a good reference book
JoyceJob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycejob.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by JoyceJob »

I read some part of this book since I was intrigued by the title. I also love quotes generally. Like the above review says, this book is a treasure house of quotes. But other than that I couldn't find much takeaways in the book in the 7% I completed. Obvious facts like 'we sometimes quote without realizing it','we end up quoting the people we like or spend more time with','even narration of a scene or gossip can be quoting' were stated with too much detailing and numerous examples. I might pick up this book again some time later. I don't like shelving my books without finishing it. But for the time sake I'm keeping it aside for more precise and well edited books.
Arnold rods
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Arnold rods »

this book is awesome am sure the writer did agreat jobs thanks but i have to jump to..
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think this would be an interesting read. We see many quotes being shared in social media. We use quotes sometimes to emphasize a point. And we often use quotations of memorable lines in a film or a book. This book may unravel more about the psychology of using quotations and teach us the underlying human need in quoting a certain person, whether fictional or not.
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

This does sound like a fascinating book. For me, being an academic, the topic is deeply relevant. Quotations, if done incorrectly, or there is any question as to authenticity or veracity, can condemn someone to academic purgatory. Coming from a world of information integrity as a whole in aggregation, analysis, dissemination, and reaction--in crisis/conflict--they are important for a more human sense behind any quantitative statistical analysis, but they also act as a conduit or scaffold in terms of connecting to the subject matter more wholly.

It's unfortunate the grammatical errors made this book a little harder to read, but I have the feeling I'll be reading it nevertheless. Perhaps the author can find a copyeditor or will be able to license the work to another publisher who can clean up any issues, especially if the premise and execution are sound!
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Thanks for your honest review. It does seem like a reference book for a college student. I most likely would not read this type of book unless it was assigned to me for a course. That is too bad that a textbook has grammatical errors. I wouldn't doubt that lots of research was done and that it is full of useful information. It seems like it should be edited again, especially if it would be best targeted to postgraduate students.
Siah_Icarus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siah_Icarus »

Since I started reading this book, I say that I recognise it as a more of a manual or high school textbook than a novel, but either ways its a great book for academics well that's what I think
Jhazzmagne10

Post by Jhazzmagne10 »

I love reading quotations. We need to read quotations for our daily life, for us to be inspired. This book needs to publish to the public to know what is the meaning of quotations. As i wakeup before going to work i always shared inspirational quatations for them to be inspired in such a small sentence but big meaning.

Keep up the goodwork.
Aneke chimdindu

Post by Aneke chimdindu »

I think quotes are more impressive when it comes to writing. when we quote it makes the reader want to understand the actual meaning of the topic of the book. Quotes are more like making you have a good sense of topics and when you quote it must be easy to understand. If it's not understood there is no way your readers will love to read that..
So in conclusion quoted gives readers the vibe to read
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Wow! This book seems highly informative. I'm one of those grammar and punctuation geeks, so I believe I would just love to dive into a researched masterpiece on quotes! Thank you for this thorough review.
Faithagain

Post by Faithagain »

I’ve been hearing about the word quote but I don’t know it as complex as this informations that are given here. I need to read the book more deeper
papinjoku
Currently Reading: Treasure of the magical mine moppets
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by papinjoku »

lol, this isn't just funny but also intriguing. It is relevant that we are acquainted with quotations, but you don't expected the people here expecting suspense action and make-beliefs to read a book on QUOTATION,
Though I have to give the author credit for taking time to do such a work.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”