Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Re: Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by Theo Sanders »

I often ponder the origin of words, phrases and quotes, so I'm excited to read a book on the subject - particularly as the author seems to have thoroughly researched the subject. The irony isn't lost on me however, that a book about phraseology and grammar contains some grammatical errors!
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

When I saw Ruth Finnegan's "Why do we quote?" and read the Amazon sample, I thought of ways to pin it in my Pinterest and I thought of "literary and cultural retailing," and "literary and thought appropriation." I have to say I'm a sucker for great quotes. They punctuate ideas. They emphasize your points in a conversation or debate. They inspire, encourage and encapsulate the lessons in life we need to remember, be they in learning, succeeding and failing, and in our relationships. Finnegan's book attempts to track the history of quotation usage in many aspects of human communication. It is an academic and scholarly book of what many may think to be a benign concern. But remember, language and knowledge of language is a form of power used by politicians, propagandists, product marketers of large corporations and advertisers. Quotations connect with target audiences, clients and customers. In journalism, they pin down politicians. If done right by reporters, quotations implicate public figures. It is the fish being caught by its mouth. In social media, there are many accounts that spread great quotations and I subscribe to those that encourage people to fulfill their dreams and succeed in business. I think people quote to teach, preach, encourage, inspire, make a point in a few words, document utterances and to make people buy in to their ideas or buy their products. Thanks to Rosemary Wright for her detailed critique of Why do we quote? She extols the strengths and importance of the book but she says the level of language used can be more tailor-fitted to a general audience. She also points out some grammatical lapses that can be fixed in new editions of the book. These issues aside, Ruth Finnegan's work is worth reading by communicators, literature and linguistics experts, and cultural historians too.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Your review was insightful and it certainly helped me decide whether to pick it up or not.
We come across quite a few number of quotes during our daily reading, and some of us often use quotes in our writing. But just like you, I was never aware of its history or its types, usage in different contexts etc. I am looking forward to reading this book since it narrates such an interesting topic.
Non fictions are harder for me, and the use of difficult words might cause me to lose interest, but I feel it is worth a try.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's purely a literary book which helps to understand the evolution of quotation in languages. A very detailed and critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I love quotes so I think it would be interesting to learn about the origin of their use, etc. I do agree that in order for a book like this to work for the general public, it would need to be written so a lay person could get more out of it. Still, sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for your great insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Firstly, I would commend the author for her efforts in doing such an intensive research on the topic. This book reminds me of my English teacher who used to emphasize on the importance of quotes. Of course I will not pick the book up as my leisure time book but as a functional one. I am often asked by my juniors to help them in writing efficiently. This book might give us an insight into the usage of quotations as quotations help in grabbing attention of the reader. Thanks for the review!!!
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

This sounds like such an interesting book! I've never heard of a book that unveils the history and different meanings of quotes before. Thank you for the detailed review.
tinker958
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure

Post by tinker958 »

This book of Why do we Quote, may be interesting if you are writing a paper, maybe blogging or doing research; but sitting down to read it would not be my thing.

I am going to have to pass on this and may use it for reference in writing a paper or research.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Thanks for the elaborate review. Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan sounds like a very helpful book for students, academics, orators, and writers. Even though we use quotations often, many of us don't know the origin and vastness of the subject that deals with quotations. This book is written in a textbook format, mainly targeting students, academics, writers, and the others who are interested with the English language. Ruth Finnegan did a great job by researching the origin and the history of quotations and also, by compiling a book on quotations. This will be a useful read for postgraduate students of the English language and to others who use the English language extensively.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I didn't know it was possible to write a whole book on the subject quotation. The book surely is a helpful guide to writers and even neophytes. I would definitely read it to improve my grammar and writing style.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oogies »

This is not the type of book I will read because I want to. It does sound interesting though, the concept of quoting did pique my interest after reading this review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review. Based on my sampling, I agree with you that the book is indeed well-researched and written with tasteful sophisticated language. Like you, I was a bit surprised to find a piece especially focused on quotations. As someone who's into quotes and acknowledging their sources, I could say that this is a revelational and helpful read.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your enlightening review. I agree with you that this book is not for all audiences; it's actually a very good reference book. Even though I love the English Language, I really don't see myself sitting down to read this book as I would a novel. The author demonstrates a wealth of knowledge and experience, though. Pity about the grammatical errors - it's actually paradoxical!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is the first time I've read a review on a book that adresses quotations. Most of the ideas sounds new to me. They're very educative and interesting. Though I've not read the book yet, I can give some reasons why we use quote. Thanks for the review. I will definitely read.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging by your review, Why do we quote?, by Ruth Finnegan is a well-researched book about quotations and their applications. But this subject is not my cup of tea. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”