Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by Aditi1992 »

This seems to be a book full of knowledge. I did not know that quotes can be researched upon, i.e , it must be a huge subject. It is commendable that the author chose such a subject to write a book about. This book explains the history of quotes, speech marks. However, I do not relate to complex books, as the reviewer said that it is not in layman's language. It is a book of post-graduate English students.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. It’s cool finding all the different ways quotations could be used. I don’t think it’s a topic that is very exciting but could be useful to learn. It’s too bad that it’s kind of confusing to figure out what all the words mean. Thanks for your review.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This sounds very unique and of a scholarly subject of interest. I’m kind of curious to see what I learn.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is definitely not a book I would read. I am sure much work went into this book. So I hope there is an audience for it.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Personally I love quotes. A complex book with extensive research and information about quotes is a must for me. Congratulations.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

A great book full of knowledge about the art of quotation. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The cover is amazing, but I still would not have been drawn to read the book because I am not interested in knowing why people quote. However, after sampling the book, I found it to be interesting and my idea of not reading the book changed. I did notice some grammatical errors in the book. She left out full-stops at the end of some quotes, but had them on some other quotes. I saw this in Part 2: Quoting and quotations section of the book. What I liked the most about the book was that the author shared some of her favorite quotes, and most of the quotes she had are what I am also familiar with because I have quoted them before as well. Those quotes include: "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
billwatt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by billwatt »

Amazing !!!!!!! Ruth Finnegan your are something else, I think most of our political leaders should have a look at this book before they make some of their promises. Enlightenment is one of my great achievements reading this book. Waaooow you are such a hero. Keep this good work up
perla123
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by perla123 »

I didn't know neither that quotations were so important. I always use quotations in my essays, but without thinking to much. I am interested in this book and I think I will read it.I find it interesting. It will be difficult for me since English is not my native language, anyways, how you said, I will use a dictionary.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. As mentioned by Rosemary Wright in the review, Ruth Finnegan has done a commendable job in taking up a concept like this which describes the usage of quotations and their interpretation. Personally, I was not very hooked to this read but this should cater to a certain niche of audience interested in such topic which could also provide some useful knowledge. :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

As much as I like the philosophy behind this book, Its complexity leaves me in doubt about whether to read it, and the mention of errors has me contemplating how a book meant for high-level readers could be flawed.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

It is a highly guiding review.Although for me the topic alone should have repelled me away.It's nice to have someone change my view with a nicely written review
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Thanks for the review, honestly I can't see myself reading that much about quotes but I admire the patience and research the author must have put to write this, like you say this might be for good for the right audience.
kimpaluch01
Currently Reading: Salt of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by kimpaluch01 »

I agree. It doesn't sound like most readers will relate to this one. I appreciate your honest review.

A book that’s as academically oriented as this is likely to use this sort of language. At least that’s what I expected.

I can’t actually imagine most people picking the book up to read. So maybe the average reader would pick this up I have that sort of vocabulary.

At least that’s my thought.
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

"Why do we quote?" is because it is another very important lesson we learned in English class...it is a form of punctuation. It is to make a title, or a sentence stand out from the rest of the book like how we use italics in our emails, on the phone text, or instant messaging or on-line chat. I was told that it was a way to know the quote was naming a book or if you were stating something someone else said word for word you would put it in quotes or you would be plagiarizing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”