Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The subject of quoting is one that could easily be overlooked and mostly has been up to this point. There are few books that have been written on the subject, at least in the public domain. The subject seems to be vastly indoctrinated in cultures worldwide, which could be quite fascinating to those that would be interested in the English language and its history. Based on your review, the topic might be a good one for a doctoral thesis. Therefore, this book might be a very good one for someone who is looking for a textbook that would assist them in furthering their knowledge about quotations for educational or literary purposes.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I feel as though this a book you would read for educational purposes and not necessarily for fun. With ththaththat beinbeing said, I thinkthis book would be a great tool for students and anyone who is interested interested in research or writing. I am a student myself and often have to quote things in papers and I believe this book may come in handy.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. I definitely see your point about aiming the book at all readers, not just academics. It would make all of her hard and interesting work more accessible.
peace starts with a smile...
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed the book. Not my cup of tea. Will give this one a miss
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I didn't know quoting was such a huge topic either, let alone such an art form. This isn't a book I'd typically read unfortunately, though the title and subject would probably pique my interest enough to pick up the book to flip through it to see what it's about. I can see this one being very helpful for aspiring writers and public speakers.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

The folklore aspect sounds very interesting but I agree about the language level of the book not being for everyone.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I think, as academic publications go, this sounds really fun and interesting. I read a similar book about genealogical citations, all aspects of it. It was fascinating. Maybe I would tolerate looking up the words. :) Thanks for the thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

I found this review and sample to be incredible boring, so much so I could finish neither. Which is sad because I was very interested in this topic when I first read the title but much like the author the reviewer rattles on in a very boring way.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I can see how this book could be useful to a person in literary studies, or a writer. I know that there are a lot of things I do not know about quotes and punctuations, but I honestly dont think I would ever do the research about it. I think it is a good thing this book was written, it is just not for me.
Gabu1998
Currently Reading: De Profundis and Other Prison Writings
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabu1998.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Gabu1998 »

I’ve started reading this one after your review and I have to say it’s kinda good. The figures are a good bonus to the text, like you said, and I really am enjoying her way of writing.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Interesting topic as I honestly didn't think there could be a need or even a book about quotes. I also think reading about the history of quoting and from different applications in the academic world would be interesting. Nice review, thanks.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's well-researched BOTD grabbed my interest 100%....at first. Quotations allow us to connect with the past, make sense of the present, and give hope to the future. I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) by the number of grammatical errors you mentioned in the review, considering the content. It's odd that a book focusing on language and structure is actually lacking in similar areas. Unfortunately, for me, it almost reduces the validity of its claims. Thank you for your insightful review...it was very helpful! :-)
Lafleurfille
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lafleurfille »

I could definitely see myself being interested in this book if the topic came up in one of my college courses. Your view gives the book a good outline, so that one would knows what to expect. Your review makes the book seem as if the author is able to somehow make the topic of quoations an interesting read. I would consider reading, if I needed to in the future. Thank you for your review!
111Appleton111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-111appleton111.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by 111Appleton111 »

Thanks for the review. I thought it would be a book that I'd be able to read but after reading the review I find that it's not my type of book. Although, the amount of research and effort put into writing the book is also commendable.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

Thanks for the review, although I will have to pass this one, quotes are helpful but I don't think I would take much interest in this one

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”