Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why do we quote?" by Ruth Finnegan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why do we quote?, by Ruth Finnegan, is about the origin and application of quotations. Written in a textbook format, this book explores the use of citations, particularly as it relates to literary studies, anthropology, and folklore. The author defines quotation and reveals the reasons for using it. Based on extensive research, she analyses different types of quotes and how they are used by family members, colleagues, orators, and every other person.

Filled with numerous citations by famous philosophers, the book unveils how quotes have been used in different cultures and religions all over the world. Also, it examines their usage in literary works, screenplays, and oratory. The author goes over the process of quoting with respect to imitation, allusion, and plagiarism. In depth, she discusses the tradition of quotation collecting. She relates the history of speech marks and highlights their importance; why some writers still use them and others don't.

Honestly, before now, I didn't know the act of quoting was a huge subject. It's a good thing Ruth Finnegan chose to write about it, and I commend her for the effort and time she put into this work. You won't appreciate my judgment until you start reading the book and see the vast research she did before writing it. Being eloquently written, the book is educative and engaging. It's structured properly, and it flows smoothly. Included are some figures to help explain information.

Furthermore, the author's extensive vocabulary is impressive, but I think she should have matched her writing with a general reading level. Every reader is not an English language professor. If some readers can't understand most words in a text, they'll become confused and even disconnected. It'll be quite distracting for a reader to be looking up the meaning of words in the dictionary every minute. An academic volume should be easily understood by any person who chooses to read it. Anyway, this work is a mine of helpful information, and now, I know a lot about quotes. If you don't like complex books, then this particular one is not for you.

Overall, the book is appealing and enlightening. The author presented her facts orderly. However, I noticed several grammatical errors involving omitted and misplaced commas. I rate this publication 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rank it higher because of its readability status and grammar flaws. It'll be useful for postgraduate students of English language and literature.

Why do we quote?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sure that the author did quite a bit of research on this one, and I have no doubt she is very well educated. Nevertheless, this just isn't a subject that I am interested in. It sound more like a college textbook or a manual for professors than something to read for everyday use. Thanks, but my list is too long to add something like this to it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I can't imagine reading a whole book about quotations. Plus a grammar book with grammatical issues? I'm going to pass, but I'm sure this book has a place for a certain audience. Thank You.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Furthermore, the author's extensive vocabulary is impressive, but I think she should have matched her writing with a general reading level. Every reader is not an English language professor. If some readers can't understand most words in a text, they'll become confused and even disconnected. It'll be quite distracting for a reader to be looking up the meaning of words in the dictionary every minute. An academic volume should be easily understood by any person who chooses to read it. Anyway, this work is a mine of helpful information, and now, I know a lot about quotes. If you don't like complex books, then this particular one is not for you.
I agree. It doesn't sound like most readers will relate to this one. I appreciate your honest review.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The topic is refreshing and I am sure there is a lot to learn from this book. I will, however, give it a miss.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The author sounds vast in knowledge, however, this is not a subject I am interested in. Thanks for your review.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

AmySmiles wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:15 I can't imagine reading a whole book about quotations. Plus a grammar book with grammatical issues? I'm going to pass, but I'm sure this book has a place for a certain audience. Thank You.
Thanks AmySmiles. For sure, it has a place for a particular audience.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book about the use of about quotations sounds intriguing. The author defines citations, explores their uses, and highlights their importance. It does look like the author put a lot of effort into this book. Too bad about the too high language and the few grammatical errors. I like complex books, but this one isn't for me. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am interested in the art of quotation that I think I will give this one a try. Too bad a star is deducted due to grammar flaws. This book might work better as a reference rather than a straight-through read. Thanks for the honest review.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

While this sounds like it could be really helpful for some, this is not something I am interested in reading. I love quotes, but I am not looking for a textbook read right now.
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

I love quotes so much. I like collecting and writing it down with my notebooks. This is the book I am looking forward. Quotes give motivations and inspiration. It could be quick guide to life. Thank for this review.
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.”
― Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader :techie-studyinggray:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I'm not interested in the subject of quotations enough to justify reading the book, but it sounds like an extensive and informative resource. It's a pity that the book was written in a fashion that made it accessible to a wider range of readers. Many of the people who need to learn about quotations are not a post-graduate level. It also seems strange that a book on quotations has so many errors.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I was thinking of reading this book because I always like to read books about thinks that underrated such as the importance of quoting but if there are a bunch of grammatical errors in the book and the book is about English, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Hard for me to take any book seriously with grammatical errors as it shows the author or the publisher did not do a good job checking their work.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

A book that talks about quotes is nice and sounds ℹnformative but it's not my kind of book. Thanks for your review
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:42 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why do we quote?" by Ruth Finnegan.]

Honestly, before now, I didn't know the act of quoting was a huge subject. It's a good thing Ruth Finnegan chose to write about it, and I commend her for the effort and time she put into this work. You won't appreciate my judgment until you start reading the book and see the vast research she did before writing it. Being eloquently written, the book is educative and engaging. It's structured properly, and it flows smoothly. Included are some figures to help explain information.
After reading some of this book, I quite agree with your comment. Thanks for the insightful review. For the right audience, I can see this would be a valuable resource especially if they fall into the How, why, what, when category. It is unfortunate about the grammar errors, perhaps it will be re-edited at some point.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”