Official Review: The Journey to the End.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: The Journey to the End.

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey to the End." by Patricia A Edwards.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Journey to The End: His Journey Home by Patricia Edwards is a memoir of her late husband, Deacon Calvin Edwards. Writing this book was most likely a great cathartic release for the author from the grief of losing her beloved. Edwards focuses on the last four years of Calvin’s life (2012-2016). She summarizes this period in the first paragraph of the first chapter with this sentence; “His health would take a tumble, improve and ultimately end.”

I chose to review this book because both the book cover and title appealed to me. I was expecting an emotional rollercoaster ride based on the subject matter at hand. There were many saddening and infuriating moments recounted that I am sure many of us can relate to. For example, there was more than one time when Calvin was in the ER for hours in a dire situation and persons with less urgent cases were assisted before him. There were also many dialogues throughout the story that portrayed the feeling of helplessness that the other family members experienced. These were instrumental in helping me sympathize with them. Moreover, it was pleasing to see that during these trying times that the Deacon and his wife held their faith in Christ Jesus.

Unfortunately, I was not able to enjoy The Journey to The End as much as I hoped. The author begins the book by giving us a little background information about her husband. Although the tone of writing is conversational, she introduces Calvin as if he was a fictional character. It seems as if she is trying to detach herself from the story. This may not necessarily be a demerit to some readers, but it confused me to the point that I had to read those paragraphs a few times. The author becomes a character in the story when she receives a phone call from her ailing husband. This was a necessary conversation but sadly afterward there were many redundant dialogues. On the other hand, there were many events that I think could have been expounded on but were simply glossed over.

I cannot deny that Edwards was able to paint pictures with her words but overall, she did a lot more telling than showing. There were many times that I had a strong urge to skim-read paragraphs because reading this book felt tedious at times. Also, it is evident from the numerous grammatical errors that I spotted that this book was not professionally edited. There were many instances where words were obviously missing and not a
few cases of poor punctuation. Edwards also wrote in the past tense using the word ‘would’ unnecessarily an annoying amount of times. For example, she wrote something like, "I would go to the hospital that afternoon." instead of "I went to the hospital that afternoon." The grammatical and editorial errors in The Journey to The End greatly hindered me from enjoying this reading experience.

In conclusion, after much thought, I rate The Journey to The End 1 out of 4 stars. I cannot recommend this memoir to anyone until it is professionally edited. It is saddening to give this book such a poor rating since it is a memoir. Regrettably, the author neglected to enhance the quality of her work by not having it professionally edited. If this is revised, I would recommend it to persons who have lost a loved one.

The Journey to the End.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's never easy to rate a personal and poignant story badly, but I think you have done a really good job! I hope the author heeds your advice and puts the book through a round of professional editing.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

So many memoirs/biographies seem like they are written as a result of the author's pain rather than because he believes there is an audience who would enjoy/appreciate/benefit from the story. When authors are writing more for themselves than for their audience, it seems like editing is dismissed as unimportant. I reviewed a book about a father's struggle to get visitation time with his daughter, and he conveyed the series of events in very simple, straightforward terms. The author's approach really seemed to be about conveying the information with little regard for how it is actually being conveyed.
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

I can feel you. I just completed a review with a 1 star rate due to the same problem. The book poorly edited dampened my reading mood.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't enjoy memoirs as much as I wish I did. Mostly it seems like everyone has a story to tell, but my opinion is that not everyone should write a book about it. I hope that this was a healing process for the author, but perhaps they should have spent the money on an editor instead.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Bianka Walter wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 07:57 It's never easy to rate a personal and poignant story badly, but I think you have done a really good job! I hope the author heeds your advice and puts the book through a round of professional editing.
Great review :)
I appreciate you reading and commenting on this review. Thanks.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 10:12 So many memoirs/biographies seem like they are written as a result of the author's pain rather than because he believes there is an audience who would enjoy/appreciate/benefit from the story. When authors are writing more for themselves than for their audience, it seems like editing is dismissed as unimportant. I reviewed a book about a father's struggle to get visitation time with his daughter, and he conveyed the series of events in very simple, straightforward terms. The author's approach really seemed to be about conveying the information with little regard for how it is actually being conveyed.
Yup. I totally agree with you. I think it might be good if they mention that the book was written for cathartic reasons and no effort was made to edit it because that would subtract from the work of grief...Might justify the lack of professional editing.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Nidaconhh wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:31 I can feel you. I just completed a review with a 1 star rate due to the same problem. The book poorly edited dampened my reading mood.
Sorry to hear you went through the same thing. Hopefully our next books can score more stars.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

AmySmiles wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 11:35 I don't enjoy memoirs as much as I wish I did. Mostly it seems like everyone has a story to tell, but my opinion is that not everyone should write a book about it. I hope that this was a healing process for the author, but perhaps they should have spent the money on an editor instead.
I have read a lot of memoirs never like you i agree everyone has a story to tell. Maybe it's like you say - not everyone should write but rather find their unique outlet. Thanks for commenting.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's sad to waste the potential of such a promising book with poor editing. Thanks for the candid review.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Memoirs are so inspiring. I think I would love this one!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”