Official Review: Combat Jet Pilot by Lynn High

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Official Review: Combat Jet Pilot by Lynn High

Post by Julie Green »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Combat Jet Pilot" by Lynn High.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever wondered what it feels like to be a fighter pilot in combat, this book will appal and fascinate you in equal measure. Lynn High always dreamed of becoming a combat jet pilot and he was able to fulfil his childhood dream during the Vietnam War. This book recounts the author's experiences as he learns to fly and is trained as a combat pilot. We follow Lynn on two rounds of duty in Vietnam where he is awarded several medals in recognition of his outstanding bravery.

Combat Jet Pilot by Lynn High offers many interesting insights into the life of a fighter pilot. I was intrigued to learn about the G-suit that pilots wear to help them manage high speeds without passing out. I was also surprised by how close pilots can fly during formation, sometimes with only three feet of clearance. In particular, I was incredibly impressed by the sang-froid shown by the author when faced with emergencies such as low fuel. On one occasion, he managed to land alongside a fellow pilot on the tiniest of runway strips and was so low on fuel that both pilots had to land in tandem, using only the noses of their planes to adjust their speeds and avoid collision.

This is not an easy book to read if you feel ambivalent about war. I make no judgement of the author as his heroism floored me at times. To face a missile flying towards your cockpit is bad enough, but the author's descriptions of flying in low at night to rescue soldiers who are under attack from enemy fire are terrifying. As a result, I swallowed my response to the occasional false note struck by the use of language such as the word 'fun' to describe gunnery. The author recognises that his fighter pilot personality can arouse sensitivities; he recalls his family's reaction to receiving a postcard of him posing alongside his armed jet.

There are some incredibly moving moments. When the author attends a celebration for receiving yet another award for bravery, he encounters a former soldier whose life he had saved during one of his more dangerous night sorties in theatre. As the two men break down in tears, I confess that I did too.

That said, I only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing is not the best; it feels a little too much like a personal diary and there are times when random anecdotes appear as if they had previously been forgotten. There are also quite a few grammatical errors.

One of the biggest surprises for me was the realisation that this book was written by the author as a septuagenarian. I had pictured a young man telling his story and I strongly suspect that Lynn High remains a young man in spirit.

Combat Jet Pilot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julie Green's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I enjoy reading a book that is more of a personal diary. This book sounds interesting as I have just finished reading a children's book about the evolution of the aeroplane. I wonder how his experience was like as Lynn was learning how to fly a jet pilot for the first time. The fact that Lynn is a septuagenarian makes this book is appealing to me as this man has a lot of tales to share. Thank you for your review on this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 07:16 I enjoy reading a book that is more of a personal diary. This book sounds interesting as I have just finished reading a children's book about the evolution of the aeroplane. I wonder how his experience was like as Lynn was learning how to fly a jet pilot for the first time. The fact that Lynn is a septuagenarian makes this book is appealing to me as this man has a lot of tales to share. Thank you for your review on this book.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, Lynn has a lived a life full of stories and his first solo flight is a thrilling moment,
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Julie Green wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:03 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Combat Jet Pilot" by Lynn High.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever wondered what it feels like to be a fighter pilot in combat, this book will appal and fascinate you in equal measure. Lynn High always dreamed of becoming a combat jet pilot and he was able to fulfil his childhood dream during the Vietnam War. This book recounts the author's experiences as he learns to fly and is trained as a combat pilot. We follow Lynn on two rounds of duty in Vietnam where he is awarded several medals in recognition of his outstanding bravery.

Combat Jet Pilot by Lynn High offers many interesting insights into the life of a fighter pilot. I was intrigued to learn about the G-suit that pilots wear to help them manage high speeds without passing out. I was also surprised by how close pilots can fly during formation, sometimes with only three feet of clearance. In particular, I was incredibly impressed by the sang-froid shown by the author when faced with emergencies such as low fuel. On one occasion, he managed to land alongside a fellow pilot on the tiniest of runway strips and was so low on fuel that both pilots had to land in tandem, using only the noses of their planes to adjust their speeds and avoid collision.

This is not an easy book to read if you feel ambivalent about war. I make no judgement of the author as his heroism floored me at times. To face a missile flying towards your cockpit is bad enough, but the author's descriptions of flying in low at night to rescue soldiers who are under attack from enemy fire are terrifying. As a result, I swallowed my response to the occasional false note struck by the use of language such as the word 'fun' to describe gunnery. The author recognises that his fighter pilot personality can arouse sensitivities; he recalls his family's reaction to receiving a postcard of him posing alongside his armed jet.

There are some incredibly moving moments. When the author attends a celebration for receiving yet another award for bravery, he encounters a former soldier whose life he had saved during one of his more dangerous night sorties in theatre. As the two men break down in tears, I confess that I did too.

That said, I only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing is not the best; it feels a little too much like a personal diary and there are times when random anecdotes appear as if they had previously been forgotten. There are also quite a few grammatical errors.

One of the biggest surprises for me was the realisation that this book was written by the author as a septuagenarian. I had pictured a young man telling his story and I strongly suspect that Lynn High remains a young man in spirit.

Combat Jet Pilot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julie Green's review? Post a comment saying so!
Awesome review. It definitely makes me want to read this memoir. I think your description of his night flights and rescue missions are vivid and make the essence of the book come alive. Applause!

However, my personal taste does not run toward these diary-like narratives. (Especially if they include poetry!)
So, I will probably pass on this one, but I'm sure many readers will be charmed by it.

I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

:tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nice review about the book that shows the experiences of the combat air pilot right from his childhood dream to actual commissioning in the war.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I loved your review! Well done :) This book sounds fascinating, especially since reading about wartime heroes always piques my interest. I've yet to read one about a fighter pilot though, so I might give this one a shot, even though the writing isn't the best.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 15:22 I loved your review! Well done :) This book sounds fascinating, especially since reading about wartime heroes always piques my interest. I've yet to read one about a fighter pilot though, so I might give this one a shot, even though the writing isn't the best.
Thank you! Yes, this one opened my eyes about the life of a fighter pilot and is worth the read.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like your observation about the author's young-at-heart writing style. Despite the diary style and the errors, it sounds intriguing. Thanks for your candid review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:24 I like your observation about the author's young-at-heart writing style. Despite the diary style and the errors, it sounds intriguing. Thanks for your candid review.
While not always a sympathetic character, the author's personality really did come across well. Thank you for your comment.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

sanjus wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 12:53 Nice review about the book that shows the experiences of the combat air pilot right from his childhood dream to actual commissioning in the war.
Thank you for stopping by to comment :D
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow, that sounds like a nerve-racking read. I suppose you need a gung-ho sort of personality to be able to get through such dangers. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 16:30 Wow, that sounds like a nerve-racking read. I suppose you need a gung-ho sort of personality to be able to get through such dangers. Great review.
Thanks! Yes the author definitely has a larger than life personality.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

One of the things I love about reading is the opportunity to learn about people, things, events I will never experience myself. I’m glad Lynn High recorded and shared his experiences. Thanks for your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

stacie k wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 15:41 One of the things I love about reading is the opportunity to learn about people, things, events I will never experience myself. I’m glad Lynn High recorded and shared his experiences. Thanks for your review!
I so agree with you about the pleasure of learning about experiences we will never face. Thank you for your comment!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I love, love, love memoirs. But war, not so much. So now I’m torn. To read, or not to read? Well done on the great review. I enjoyed it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”