Official Review: 'The Evidence of Our Senses'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: 'The Evidence of Our Senses'

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'The Evidence of Our Senses'" by Rod Beecham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historians have debated the very essence of World War I. While many reasons have been given, none seems weighty enough to explain the core of the war. Many questions arise as to why countries such as Great Britain joined the war considering the hefty price they ultimately paid. 'The Evidence of Our Senses' by Rod Beecham is an in-depth analysis of Great Britain’s culture and its people’s perspective of war especially in the second half of the nineteenth (19th) century that influenced their participation in the war.

The book begins with some insight into the Crimean War. Similarly to WWI, Great Britain had entered this war as a matter of showcasing their supremacy. The idea of establishing the state’s influence was largely impacted by the education system at the time as Beecham explains. The notion of a man dying in battle for his state was highly esteemed while war was overly glorified. The literature and poetry of the time clearly highlight this outlook. One man, in particular, Sir Edward Grey, highly influenced the state’s contribution as he vaguely alluded to the fact that since the British were allies of the French they were obligated to fight alongside them in the war.

In 'The Evidence of Our Senses', Rod Beecham effectively juxtaposes the concept of war from the point of view of the civilians and that of the soldiers who actually went to war. The difference is striking. To do this, Beecham chronicles the events surrounding the life of Siegfried Sassoon during WWI. As Sassoon experiences the real side of war, he begins to doubt the validity of it all. He further goes ahead to lodge protests against Great Britain’s involvement in the war after he returns home following an injury that almost leaves him paralyzed.

I also deeply appreciated the extensive research that went into writing the book. Beecham adequately explores the values and the ways of Great Britain around the period of WWI as well as other defining events. He captures the lack of trust between senior officers in the war. The hostility between career politicians and career soldiers during the period between 1917 and 1918 is revealed through the words of a senior member of the War Office, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Edward Callwell. He also highlights the effect that the veneration of war had on the poets and authors during this time. He further covers the dilemma that followed the execution of the peace agreement, a result of the peace conference held in Paris after WWI ended. This dilemma is clearly expressed through John Maynard Keynes’s take on the consensus.

'The Evidence of Our Senses' by Rod Beecham is a great thought-provoking expository on the rationale behind Great Britain’s contribution in WWI and hence I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Any reader with an appreciation of history especially regarding the events before and after WWI will find this book an enlightening treat.

'The Evidence of Our Senses'
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds a bit too serious for me. History is just not my cup of tea. I really try to enjoy it, but it has to be mixed with fun. I'm glad that you were able to get something out of this book, though. Thanks for the lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounds like the author did his work on this one to put together a good book on history. I had looked it over a few times wondering if I could handle the deep nature of it, and I decided against it. After reading your review, I am thinking I should take a look at this again. Good job on this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This sounds so important - exploring the concept of society's prevailing attitudes leading to major events like war, which then affects prevailing attitudes of society. Indoctrination in the schools, works of poets and writers, conversations engaged in and overheard, all play their part. Then the real experiences of those involved trying to explain, It's not what we thought.
Scary, but intriguing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”