Official Review: Wordstruck! by Susanna Janssen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Wordstruck! by Susanna Janssen

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wordstruck!" by Susanna Janssen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When is a murder not a crime? Who are the members of a congress?

In Wordstruck!, Susanna Janssen passionately shares her unique romance with the most faithful of lovers: words! Having been born to an Italian mamma and a Dutch vader, she has love for language stamped in her DNA. Add to this her early exposure to Catholic masses in Latin! The book details how she fell in love with words – and the remarkable languages, cultures, and pun times that go with them.

Do you know that the highly creative Shakespeare originated the hopelessly corny “Knock, knock” jokes? Are you willing to bet that a gram of prevention is better than a kilo of cure? Have you any idea that words vie yearly for the coveted “Word of the Year” title? There are languages that have unique terms that cannot be translated into English without using several words (or even many phrases), for instance, the evocative Russian word toska.

Susanna gives tips on how to spot liars and lets you practice them using William Jefferson Clinton’s press pronouncement in 1998 about him and that woman. Do you know that “villain” used to mean the innocent “worker in a villa”? Learn the disastrous effects of using the wrong preposition: try it with the verb “break” (and the prepositions in, out, up, down, ad infinitum) for an exciting sampling. Know the secret of staying awake while cruising along those lonely highways. (Clue: Mind those quirky billboards!) A Frenchman can call his sweetheart Ma Puce (literally “My Flea”), and she will stick to him forever!

The reader will have all the above and more! While feeding your brain with her collection of enchanting trivia about words - which she touts as the greatest human creation, Susanna will also effortlessly tickle your funny bone. The lady is a natural comic. There is also the bonus lesson that she drills into the reader: learning a second language will keep the demon called Alzheimer’s Disease at bay; this is no idle claim as scientific evidence abounds to support it.

This book offers many hours of enlightenment, excitement, and entertainment. Anyone who is fascinated with words will devour this book with gusto. Those who speak Spanish will fall in amor with the book. Spanish is the author’s second language, and she relates many happy experiences with the lengua. She is also gaining proficiency in her mother’s tongue and hopefully her father’s, too.

Susanna compiled most of the material from her long-running semi-monthly newspaper column, “A Word in Edgewise,” in the Ukiah Daily Journal in California. All articles are well-researched, pack a punch (and a punchline or two), and have catchy titles. “U.S. and Them” is one.

I am myself awed by the power of words, and Susanna made me even more so. While I did a little College Spanish, I have let this prime knowledge rot in the deep cupboards of my brain. It’s time to summon it back. Susanna shares that the secret to succeeding in anything (including learning a second language) is to keep at it. Thus, the book also inspires the doubting Thomases like me. ("I’m too old!," "I’m too busy!," and "I’m too whatever!" are not acceptable excuses.)

The author also employs the interactive approach in some chapters, giving the reader quizzes and homework to ponder. This is a treat for game fanatics like me.

I only have a couple of things for the author’s consideration. The “Dictionary Game” which she apparently invented is fun, but the scoring is not so clear. Also, there are grammar rules shared in “Grammurder” which do not follow strict convention, particularly for the tricky words “neither” and “none.” (When even English grammarians quarrel over these rules, how can I fault Susanna?)

In this sea of wonderful messages, I fished out less than a handful of typos and a preference for the semicolon as a super-comma. These lapses are inconsequential and do not impact on the reading pleasure.

I give this outstanding book 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot give it less for the memorable experience I gained from reading it. By the way, the word of the year for 2017 (chosen by the most prestigious American Dialect Society that started the tradition in 1991) is “fake news”! That term certainly trumped many other contenders.

As to the questions about murders and congresses, here are the simple answers.
First question – when it refers to a flock of crows
Second question - salamanders (though “baboons” feels like the better answer)

Wordstruck!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

A congress of baboons certainly feels like it should be a thing!
How wonderful - a book filled with words about words. And the words in your review seemed to come alive. I feel like they are real entities when you discuss how they vie for word of the year. I can see "emoji" battling it out with "metrosexual", one with a sword, one with an axe.
As always, I loved your review, Miriam!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 03:59 A congress of baboons certainly feels like it should be a thing!
How wonderful - a book filled with words about words. And the words in your review seemed to come alive. I feel like they are real entities when you discuss how they vie for word of the year. I can see "emoji" battling it out with "metrosexual", one with a sword, one with an axe.
As always, I loved your review, Miriam!
Thanks so much, elephant-lover! You are the sweetest! Say, what do we call an herd of elephants?

Actually, an emoji was Oxford Dictionary's WotY for 2015 and metrosexual was 2003's winner for the American Dialect Society.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Wow! This is one of the loveliest reviews I have ever read. I am a huge believer in the power of words, and I would definitely love to read this book. Your review has enough wit to put a large smile on my face. Thanks a lot !
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:46 Wow! This is one of the loveliest reviews I have ever read. I am a huge believer in the power of words, and I would definitely love to read this book. Your review has enough wit to put a large smile on my face. Thanks a lot !
You are more than kind! Susanna's humor is contagious. You should read the book. Have fun!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like such a fun read, and I enjoyed your excellent review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a fun book. For me, the perfect "bathroom" book, as I am unlikely to read it through like a typical book, but it would be fun to have it sitting around to pick up and peruse when the mood strikes.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't read a book like this but I find it fascinating. I do love a good play on words and finding out more about the English language sounds fun. I also love the interactive nature of the book. I'll have to look into this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I guess it's finally time for me to start taking my Rosetta Stone French lessons I've been procrastinating about doing. Excellent review. This is such a unique book and sounds incredibly entertaining. J'aime Ca!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like a fun read, great review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Amiga! I'm glad you've decided to retake your Spanish classes. Let me know if you need someone to practice with. I believe in Susanna's words "the secret to succeeding in anything is to keep at it." Now, I'm learning French, so its good to know what Ma Puce means. On the other hand, this book is screaming "Buy me" "Buy me," so I'll put it in my "must buy" list.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kalin Adi wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 21:11 Amiga! I'm glad you've decided to retake your Spanish classes. Let me know if you need someone to practice with. I believe in Susanna's words "the secret to succeeding in anything is to keep at it." Now, I'm learning French, so its good to know what Ma Puce means. On the other hand, this book is screaming "Buy me" "Buy me," so I'll put it in my "must buy" list.
Oh my! What have I gotten myself into? I'm still stuck with, "No tengo dinero!"
LOL!

Shortly after I submitted my review, the BOTD was "Zonas de Quema." Today, you volunteer to practice with me. Do I need a third sign?

Muchas gracias, mi amiga bella! Hasta luego!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

daydreaming reader wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 20:19 Sounds like a fun read, great review!
Indeed it is! I hope you can experience it, too. Someone mentioned it as the ideal bathroom book. I prescribe an article a day. Let me warn you, though; you might not be able to stop.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 18:09 I guess it's finally time for me to start taking my Rosetta Stone French lessons I've been procrastinating about doing. Excellent review. This is such a unique book and sounds incredibly entertaining. J'aime Ca!
Merci, mademoiselle! That's as far as my French goes. But I love French fries, even if I shouldn't!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 17:51 I haven't read a book like this but I find it fascinating. I do love a good play on words and finding out more about the English language sounds fun. I also love the interactive nature of the book. I'll have to look into this one. Thanks.
Hi, Sarah! Yes, I bet you will have a lot of pun times with Susanna!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”