Official Review: Adversity Defeated by Marc Hoberman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: Adversity Defeated by Marc Hoberman

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adversity Defeated" by Marc Hoberman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I hesitated about reviewing this book. I tend to stick with magical adventures, gothic horror, historical fiction, or works that I feel I can relate to. Self-help is usually not my cup of tea. However, as I was reading the synopsis and found that the author had suffered from epilepsy, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that this book was for me. I have a nine-year-old daughter who has had random seizures throughout her childhood — what neurologists call childhood epilepsy. Nothing out of the ordinary has ever shown up on her scans, but there is always that question of when and where the next seizure could happen. Giving toxic medications to a child when it may not be necessary is also an internal debate. I was naturally curious about Marc Hoberman's journey.

Reading Adversity Defeated: Turn Your Struggles Into Strengths by Marc Hoberman was almost a surreal experience due to the familiarity I have with some of the scenarios he describes. His book is also laced with an incredible amount of humor considering all that he has gone through, which I guess is one of the points — don't let adversities diminish your character. At around the age of 16, Hoberman found at that he had a seizure disorder, otherwise known as epilepsy. The following passage left me stunned and in tears with the knowledge that this is what my beloved daughter experienced: "The enemy arrives without warning. The invisible, silent invader doesn't ask permission. It enters your brain quietly, suddenly and seizes control of everything, leaving you helpless in its grip. It takes possession and angrily throttles you, unleashing its rage on you. As if hypnotized into a stupor, you are dazed, unresponsive. You cannot refuse it. You can muster no resistance. You are turned off while it takes over — your own personal earthquake." Wow. I had to take a break and collect myself after reading that passage. In this book, Hoberman documents his journey of coming to terms with his condition, overcoming depression, relating to other people, and his treatment. It took a while for doctors to regulate his seizures by finding the proper dosage of a drug known as Depakote. Much later, he would experiment with a new drug called Keppra, one that I am all too familiar with.

Marc Hoberman expresses the havoc that epilepsy wreaked on his personal life as a teenager — the fear of being overcome by a seizure while with friends, how he couldn't drive for months while waiting for the drugs to work, the toll his condition took on his parents. Mostly, however, the author writes of how he was able to come out from under the dark cloud of depression that hovered over him after he was diagnosed. With the help of his parents, he realized that his struggles could be turned into strengths and that his condition did not have to define him. He expresses the importance of learning from adversity and not being paralyzed by it.

Throughout this book, I noticed very few technical errors. There are a couple of missing commas, but that could have been the author's preference. This work has clearly been professionally edited. The book was relatively short, and with all the comedy and personal stories that the author includes, it is pleasurable and easy to read. Hoberman manages to describe epilepsy in terms that are easy to understand and to make the narrative relatable even to those who may not have experience with the disorder. I don't think I came across one tedious passage. This book is easily rated 4 out of 4 stars.

The story will be an inspiration for anyone facing adversity, which is usually everyone, but especially those who struggle with physical and mental conditions that can wreak havoc on their health and personal lives. Aside from the inspirational aspect, it is also a fun book to read. It is enjoyable, and it made me laugh. If you are looking for humor, this will be a good pick. Those who are not particularly keen on self-help or inspirational works may not appreciate Adversity Defeated; however, it is also not my preferred genre, but I ended up being glad to have read it.

Adversity Defeated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review. I am not a fan of self-help books per se myself but this one sounds different. Just from your review I can tell I would get a lot out of reading this book.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Julie Green wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 03:37 Great review. I am not a fan of self-help books per se myself but this one sounds different. Just from your review I can tell I would get a lot out of reading this book.
Thank you. I'm not usually a fan either, but this one was pretty good!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a very touching review! I am glad you were able to connect with this book on a personal note. I like the idea of defeating my adversity and struggles. I will be checking this book out!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an uplifting read for anyone facing similar issues. Thanks for the recommendation.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is a deep read. The statement "...turn your struggles into strengths..." is so well placed. Nice review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

CambaReviewer wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:37 Thanks for a very touching review! I am glad you were able to connect with this book on a personal note. I like the idea of defeating my adversity and struggles. I will be checking this book out!
Thank you!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Cecilia_L wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 14:31 This sounds like an uplifting read for anyone facing similar issues. Thanks for the recommendation.
It was uplifting and funny.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 19:58 This is a deep read. The statement "...turn your struggles into strengths..." is so well placed. Nice review!
Thank you
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

JuliaKay wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 08:13 Marc Hoberman expresses the havoc that epilepsy wreaked on his personal life as a teenager — the fear of being overcome by a seizure while with friends, how he couldn't drive for months while waiting for the drugs to work, the toll his condition took on his parents. Mostly, however, the author writes of how he was able to come out from under the dark cloud of depression that hovered over him after he was diagnosed. With the help of his parents, he realized that his struggles could be turned into strengths and that his condition did not have to define him. He expresses the importance of learning from adversity and not being paralyzed by it.
A friend I grew up with suffered from epilepsy and I witnessed a couple of his seizures. A very scary experience. I am glad the author talked about depression and how to transform it. This sounds like a really honest book about overcoming adversity. I always like a look into that process. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nice heart touching review about the topic and this book. Such book can give emotional support and more knowledge about the epilepsy. It is very true that in this case not only the patient but the care taker also suffers at lot. Thanks for this review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! JuliaKay, your review is astounding. I am so sorry to hear that this disease affects your daughter. It is very dangerous and has killed many persons. I actually know of someone whom it has killed in his bath. Please be cautious and have someone with your daughter at all possible times. I am so awe-struck by the way that the author has described epilepsy. This is a very helpful book indeed, however, I am so sorry about the editorial flaws.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love self help books. I admire the author's ability to turn his struggles to strength.This book would inspire many.Thanks for the details.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I believe in the theme and the message it conveys. Its title didn't make me expect this book to be humour-filled. Yet, like you, I was surprised and pleasantly so. Thank you for your honest, insightful, and compelling review. You and your written work have inspired me, too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”