Official Review: Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler" by David A Lees.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt the unconditional love from a dog? A love that never judges and one that is always pure? David A. Lees has felt this way and shares how his life was irrevocably changed by one dog in Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler.

Oscar was a nearly one-hundred pound, lovable, gentle, and friendly Rottweiler. From the moment he was adopted as a puppy to the moment where his life came to an end, Oscar never failed in his love and his kind nature, even with the stigma of his breed. It was with this steadfast love that opened David’s heart in realizing that Oscar was more than just a dog. Oscar was his best friend.

Being a dog owner myself, this book struck a chord within me. There were times when I laughed at Oscar’s mischievous antics, when my heart warmed with his innocent sweetness, and when I was nearly in tears. Not only does the author expresses a pet parent’s love, but Lees also has clear talent in his ability to provoke varying emotions about his “Gentle Giant”.

Written in the first-person point-of-view, the reader truly gets to know both Lees and Oscar. The author’s honesty in his divorce, financial issues, and moving from place-to-place does not take away from the true meaning of the story. In fact, all these snippets of struggle adds more depth to his persona and his love toward Oscar.

The tone of this book was very friendly and casual, which made reading it a simple joy. It was a little surprising, when first beginning the book, to see phrases as, “I’ll tell ya”, “err”, “four-thirtyish”, but after a few chapters, I was able to settle in for a casual read. The friendly tone of the book nicely complemented Oscar’s friendly and casual nature.

Speaking of the writing, there were several grammatical errors, formatting issues, and repetitiveness throughout. For instance, on Kindle location 406, in the sentence, “...we were done - as in no longer welcome there.”, the word, “welcome” should be “welcomed”. Thinking of formatting, there were gaps throughout the book where paragraphs, and even sentences, were oddly split. Lastly, the repetition typically happened when an Oscar story was shared. One particular example can be found within Kindle location 943-955, where the author comments three times how children would run up to Oscar to pat him. It was most likely done to emphasis the author’s message, but after some time, it started to become redundant.

Without a doubt, with some tightening up on the editing and repetition, Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler would have received a 4 out of 4 stars. However, due to the issues mentioned, I give this non-fiction a 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to both dog lovers and those who are curious about how dogs can be such amazing furry friends.

Oscar: The Friendly Rottweiler
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I have a 75kg Boerboel (Mastiff), so I know the stigma attached to big dogs. This book sounds so sweet - especially, as you mentioned, for dog owners. I hope the author sorts out the grammatical and formatting blunders.
Awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I never thought Rottweiler and the word friendly could go together. Yes, there is a real stigma attached to the breed. I would never want to have a Rott around any child. I would vote this book special for trying to show another side to a much maligned dog breed. Nice review and kudos to David A. Lees
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I am not a dog lover, but I can appreciate a good dog story. Oscar sounds like a great dog to have. It is too bad about the poor editing when otherwise it is a good story that evokes emotions from reading it.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I could relate to this story. Despite not sharing many similarities, this book reminded me of Richard Gere's film, Hatchi: A Dog's Tale. I loved the passion and liveliness in your words. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but this still sounds like a nice, cute read. It sounds like a good story to settle in for when you aren't looking for anything heavy or deep. It's definitely one I'm going to have to look at as I LOVE dogs! Thanks so much for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Dog books are awesome. Thanks for sharing this one.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am curious about dogs and I might as well find this to be very useful. I like the uniqueness of the book. The author deserves a pat on the back for the level of openness he demonstrated. Writing about one's personal life to such an extent is never a simple task. Thanks for this amazing review. It is very profound. I hope that the author will be able to do some editing of the book again.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I've been obsessed with dogs recently so this book sounds like the perfect one for me! Oscar sounds like a great dog and I can't wait to read more about him. Thank you for your great review :)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I just saw your mini-review for this book on your blog, and I headed right over to read about it in full. Thank you! Despite the mentioned errors, I know this is the book for me! :-) I'm a huge dog lover, and as I mentioned on your blog, I'm especially drawn toward those labeled "bad" for some reason. We all deserve a fair chance to prove ourselves, right?! Before she passed away in 2017, my amazing Pitbull, Diamond, was my #1 BFF for 16 and a half years! I was blessed with the best dog ever, and it sounds like the author of this book feels the same about Oscar. I'm looking forward to reading it - thanks again! :-)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”