Official Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Stone of Hope" by Janet S. Kleinman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman is a children's book about the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. It follows Lisa, a character who is showing her grandmother around Washington D.C. for the first time.

As the pair explores the National Mall together, Lisa is at first serving as a guide for her grandmother. While Lisa knows her way around and is able to take her grandmother to different monuments, she soon realizes that her grandmother has her own expertise to share. Lisa's grandmother is able to provide another layer to the monuments, as she can recall King's crusade for equality firsthand. As they read the panels that hold many of King's most famous quotes, the grandmother expands on each musing by providing the context behind them. She addresses her granddaughter's questions about segregation and recalls hearing the news of his assassination. In this way, she helps Lisa develop her own thoughts about equal rights.

Throughout the book, there are additional facts written under the heading, "Did You Know?" These facts address details about the memorial itself, King's accomplishments, and the civil rights movement itself. This addition to the story makes it especially suitable for children studying the time period as it includes dates and information about important events in history.

The best part of this book is the photographs. I hesitate to characterize this book as a picture book since that makes me think of hand-drawn illustrations. A Stone of Hope is filled with photographs. Some are of the National Mall, some are of King himself, and others are of the other leaders in civil rights. The photo credits are listed in the back, with many photographs coming from the National Park Service or the National Archives. This is great for readers to see what the actual monuments look like, or to appreciate the thousands of listeners who attended King's famous "I Have A Dream" speech.

This book is a great read for children. Younger children will enjoy seeing the photographs, while older children can appreciate the context as they read King's ideas and thoughts on equality. I think this would be a wonderful supplement to a child who is just starting to study civil rights in an early social studies class.

I am awarding A Stone of Hope 4 out of 4 stars. The photos and the narrative aspect of Lisa and her grandmother make the history more accessible to younger children. Meanwhile, the dates and facts are provided in small, bite-size pieces which make it a nice reference to a younger middle-school child. Overall, I find this to be a great resource for children to learn about equality, both its history and its future. The last line affords a great topic of conversation for an American of any age, as Lisa and her grandmother conclude, "We still have a dream...do you?"

A Stone of Hope
View: on Bookshelves

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! Seems like this book has a bit of everything in it, and it sounds like a fun and resourceful read. The cover illustrator should have done a better job with the cover since the prime audience are children I believe it needs to be more attractive. The idea of this read is great and you have provided a great review defining it. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I like the fact that I will learn more about equality from this book, let alone several facts about Martin Luther King. I will definitely read this book to my younger sister. Thanks for the great review.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I love the "Did You Know?" addition. Little lists and things (like you would often see in an autobiography etc.) really make a book's visual so much more interesting.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I love getting the youngsters acquainted with the civil rights in an enjoyable way. This book is useful for both children and adults. Thanks for the thorough and insightful review!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The bite-sized facts you described are the perfect way to teach young readers about this significant event in our history. I loved your review! Thanks for the recommendation.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a great idea for a book! And I really enjoyed reading your review. Beautifully written. It sounds like children and adults would enjoy the photos and fun facts in this book. I will definitely check it out.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a great educational book. I love the way the author chose to present the history of Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement. This sounds like a book that social studies teachers should definitely utilize when they begin teaching this segment in history.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've made this book seem to be a visually appealing, informative, and educational read. Thank you for highlighting its read-worthy aspects.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”