Official Review: Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss" by James T. Horning with Kimberly A. Horning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The content of James T. Horning and Kimberly A. Horning’s book, Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss, is best described by the subtitle, How to Go from Pain, Frustration and Boredom to Passion, Pleasure and Purpose. According to the authors, many couples settle for the ordinary and let go of the passion they first felt at the beginning of their union. As presented in the book, it is possible to bring back the beautiful moments. The book proposes three elements that make marriage passionate and sublime, love, polarity and personal development. Each of the three components is discussed in detail.

Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss by James T. Horning with Kimberly A. Horning is a book with a unique twist on marriage. Instead of just focusing on the survival of marriage, the authors provide systematic tips on taking your marriage to the next level, that is, the point of enjoying the presence of each other and actually delighting in your partner. This was a different approach compared to many books that I have read on the topic.

Another outstanding feature of the book is that the tone used is conversational and in many ways I felt that I could relate to what the author presented. James T. Horning shares some of the mistakes he made along the way in his marriage and what steps worked in making everything right again. The additional personal accounts make his advice even more appealing. The book is also written in a way as to suggest what would and what would not work in a marriage. As I read, I did not feel as if I was coerced to take the advice, rather, the information contained appeared as advice being given to me by a friend.

The book’s structure is also well-designed. Important points and enlightening accounts are summarized away from the main text. The plot is also dotted with informative diagrams, graphs and tables that make reading and understanding quite easy. In one particular diagram, the author illustrates how the three elements that make a great marriage, when blended together, can result in passion and bliss. In another, he assumes a scenario of a couple that is out of sync and goes further to explain how they can rebuild their relationship and attain the state and experience of ‘flow’. To top it all off, action steps are included at the end of every chapter which helped me understand the ways in which the advice could be implemented.

Well-researched and definitely enlightening, I rate Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss 4 out of 4 stars. Not only do the authors offer life-changing advice, but they also present it in an appealing way.

Cracking the CODE to Marital Bliss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like an entertaining and useful read. I appreciate your detailed and thorough insight. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do feel like there are an awful lot of people out there right now who just tolerate their partners. I do, however, enjoy my partner. While we could always use a book on better communication, I'm not sure this is the book for me. Thanks for the review. Sounds like it'd be great for anyone struggling in their marriage.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I am so glad to see a 4-star rating for this book. As a newly wed going through the first year of rough patches, I like to read books on marriage advice. I have a lot of years ahead of me and a lot of compromises to make. Marital advice books not only provide good advice, but the best ones help remind you what made you want to marry your spouse in the first place. I'll have to read this one soon.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

EmunahAn wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 05:52 The book’s structure is also well-designed. Important points and enlightening accounts are summarized away from the main text. The plot is also dotted with informative diagrams, graphs and tables that make reading and understanding quite easy. In one particular diagram, the author illustrates how the three elements that make a great marriage, when blended together, can result in passion and bliss. In another, he assumes a scenario of a couple that is out of sync and goes further to explain how they can rebuild their relationship and attain the state and experience of ‘flow’. To top it all off, action steps are included at the end of every chapter which helped me understand the ways in which the advice could be implemented.
I appreciate your thorough review of this book. The author sounds like a good writer who was able to effectively present his case for marital bliss. I really like a book with action steps and some graphics to assist the reader with integrating the information. I am reading a book on relationships right now and am really appreciating how a good structure can make or break a book. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Akoth Brenda Ochola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akoth Brenda Ochola »

It is totally gnarly to have such books in custody for the newly married, for single mothers,newly married individuals. I actually interested in reading the book.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that offers a new way to look at marriage sounds intriguing. Conversational tone, good tips, and good info make a good read. That the book is dotted with informative diagrams is another plus. Not for me, but I am glad you found it helpful. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Great and enthralling review here. The book is equally nice and very educative. Indeed, the rising rate of divorce is an evidence that something is going wrong somewhere and some may be suffering quietly yet they are not enjoying what they began with passion. Such a nice book. Too bad that the title is out of purchase on Amazon.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an educational non-fiction book on marriage and relationships as a whole. The onlinebookclub review of the book was well-written and i rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. This book is free on Kindle Unlimited and Congrats on the BOTD.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Thanks for your interesting review, but I do not think this is a book for me. Every marriage is different and I do not think the answers to a successful one can be found in a book.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This is a self-help book for marriage. I like that the tone is conversational. My parents have been happily married for 34 years. They are a real life representation of a lot of the tips in this book.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Taking a marriage from survival to delight is a worthy goal. I’d like to explore the advice in this book. Personal accounts in a conversational tone make it enjoyable to read.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Am not a fun of self-help books but I would like to try this out. It sounds interesting, a book that offers a new way to look at marriage. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. I’m not really a big reader of self help books but this does sound like an interesting take on marriage advice. An easy conversational read with humor and the author’s experiences, this sounds interesting and helpful for people looking to spice up, heal, or take to the next level their marriage. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
DisneyMom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DisneyMom »

I'm not big into these types of self help books. But it could be a great option for other couples who need to find that spark again.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”