Official Review: 10 Things I Learned Living on an Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: 10 Things I Learned Living on an Island

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "10 Things I Learned Living on an Island" by Jason Blake.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If anyone is looking for a vacation destination that is so beautiful and whose beauty is beyond what humans can create, a spiritual place that is described as the most sought-out vacation destination in the world, then, I recommend the Kauai Island in Hawaii. In her book 10 Things I Learned Living on an Island, Jason Blake, also known as a vacation evangelist has given a detailed description of this awesome island; its amazing features, the lessons learned whilst living on the island as well as some limitations associated with this place. This is a non-fiction book published in 2016.

The author and her spouse started vacationing on Kauai Island just after Christmas in 2001 for their honeymoon. She has described Kauai Island as a paradise with green mountains and golden-sand beaches that attract romantics from around the world. Kauai has a rich culture that is very entertaining and educative. The island has a mix of people from different cultures, socioeconomic status and backgrounds. The artistic nature of the Island comes with a vivid proof that life has an artistic value. From her rich experience living on the island, the author has established the fact that the world is better because of some good work of art and that good art never comes without a bad art first. Also, the universe has many competing forces that can push or pull, support or quash our intentions through no fault of ours. However, Kauai Island is not spared by the unpleasant landfills that have swallowed some of her areas. There is a high cost of living coupled with occasional natural disasters.

The description written about Kauai Island is excellent. I have never been to Kauai Island but after reading this book, I could feel the pulse of excitement and satisfaction in my veins. Truly, everyone needs a vacation, at least once a year. The importance of vacationing for individuals and families has been emphasized. The lessons learned on the Island have been presented in a systematic manner. The beautiful cultures, religion and practices of the people of Kauai Island teach great lessons. The people of Kauai Island have great reverence for music and this is the basis of the unification of the people. On Kauai Island, one learns to juggle and balance competing ideas.

This book is within the comprehension of an average reader because of the use of simple vocabulary and expressions. The author has demonstrated that she has a good command over the English language as there are no spelling or grammatical errors. Although this is a short book, it is well edited. Furthermore, she has supported her points with important dates so her readers will know the time the various events were recorded. This book is suitable for a newly married couple and individuals aspiring to take a vacation. Some Christians may not like the book as the author has given reverence to a lesser god at the beginning of the book.

However, I was expecting to see pictures of some the places described but I was disappointed. It is necessary to include such pictures so readers can gain a better understanding of what they read.

I have rated 10 Things I Learned Living on an Island 4 out of 4 stars because the limitation above does not provide enough grounds to discredit the book. I hope the author will fix this limitation in her next edition. This piece of work done by Jason Blake deserves a distinction. I hope she will visit other places such as Africa to enable her to write more of such books.

10 Things I Learned Living on an Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

“Vacation evangelist” is a new term for me! You make an excellent point about the lack of photos in a book of this nature. Thank you for the warning for Christians. I’ll pass on this one, but I appreciate your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
obifemade
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers ((Musketeers Cycle)
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by obifemade »

"10 thing i learn living on the island"

Vacation on the island is always awesome.

One of the thing that caught my attention in this book is the "fact that the world is better because of some good work of art and that good art never comes without a bad art first"
She shouldn't have jumped to conclusion that "the good art never comes without a bad art first" because God created the heaven and the earth and He saw that it was good so, no art Is bad before the good one.

And after He created everything He said let us create Human in our own image.

You see God was perfect in His image before he created the picture of His images. So, that quote is wrong.

Also when writing a book about nature, author need to be liberal and take liberty into consideration.

However, I would love to recommend this book to an high school student since the book is within the comprehension of an average reader because of the use of simple vocabulary and expressions.

Also to a coursing of my who is about to get marry.

How I wish the author present some pictures of the island she wrote about.

Thanks for the review
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree pictures would have been the perfect companion for this nature-based story. I enjoyed your review.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

stacie k wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 00:17 “Vacation evangelist” is a new term for me! You make an excellent point about the lack of photos in a book of this nature. Thank you for the warning for Christians. I’ll pass on this one, but I appreciate your review!
Yes, 'vacation evangelist' is new to me too. I like it though.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I want to be a 'vacation evangelist'. Having never been anywhere exciting myself, this might be a fun book to read.
Thanks for the review!
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

What an excellent review! It’s a shame that a book that is intended to inspire you to vacation in a specific area doesn’t include any pictures of the area! Despite this oversight, I gather from your review that you can picture the island and its people through the vivid descriptions. 10 Things I Learned While Living on an Island seems to be a must read for those planning on traveling to Hawaii.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The island of Kauai in Hawaii sounds beautiful before you even describe it with the golden sand beaches and lush paradise. It sounds like a great place to visit and to explore the mixture of people, art, music, and history of the Hawaiian people. I hope someday that I can go there. I am curious as to what ten lessons the author learned from there.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love the cover design of this book! I agree with you wholeheartedly on the inclusion of pictures. That would have made the book perfect since the writing was already top-notch.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

kwame1977 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 11:02 The author and her spouse started vacationing on Kauai Island just after Christmas in 2001 for their honeymoon. She has described Kauai Island as a paradise with green mountains and golden-sand beaches that attract romantics from around the world. Kauai has a rich culture that is very entertaining and educative.
Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to read this book for a while. I have spent a lot of time on the Big Island but have never made it to Kauai. Hawaii is a powerful place and has been known to change people's lives in intriguing ways. Incidentally, I am somewhat familiar with this book, and wanted to point out that the author is not female. Jason Blake is a male. The husband he refers to is his male life partner. There is a short biography on Amazon if you are interested. Thanks again for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”