Official Review: PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Inve...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Inve...

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Investing" by Walter H. Weil.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While the concept of financial investing is as clear as mud to most of us (myself included), Walter H. Weil has taken the knowledge he accumulated during his expansive career as a hedge fund manager on Wall Street and uses it to provide guidance on the tricky topic. A graduate of Harvard Business School, Weil's expertise shines through in his book, PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Investing.

The book's unique structure showcases thirteen segments, where each segment represents a specific year, and includes Weil’s original posts from his blogsite over an eleven-year period.The book is a second edition, which includes additional blogs, published articles, and ending with a “summary” chapter, which is basically a general advisory of Weil’s investment pointers and personal practices.

The aim of the book is to offer tips to those interested in investing, utilizing Weil’s personalized tried-and-true techniques. Some of the topics that I found most pertinent and informative deal with buying into a bear-or potentially bear-market (Weil has conditions for considering such an undertaking), Wall Street's bullish bias, and when to rebalance an investment portfolio.

Weil does an excellent job of condensing a vast field of study into key points and presenting them in a manner decipherable to intermediate and experienced investors. The material is revealed chronologically, and further categorized by the market trends and investment strategies apposite for the time they were originally discussed. I found the usage of past blogs to be a thrifty and valuable decision, as reliving past financial events in "real-time” creates a sense of familiarity and interest. I was thoroughly impressed with how current the book’s information is, reflecting on investment matters as recent as January 2018.

If there is a downfall to this book, it is possibly in its limited target audience. As I mentioned earlier, it is geared for a seasoned investor, but Weil’s wealth of knowledge should be available to green investors as well. I would love to see Weil create an additional investment guide aimed specifically at newbies. Having the information broken down and explained in its entirety from someone with considerable expertise would be, in my opinion, a successful production.

I found the book to be nicely edited, noting only a handful of unremarkable errors, which were left in place for authenticity's sake, according to Weil’s disclaimer. Although there were times my mind became boggled by the information in this book, I would recommend it to any reader with an avid commitment to furthering their knowledge of investing. Readers in which retirement is in the not-so-distant future may find it especially useful. I have rated this book 4 out of 4 stars for its unique style and concise guidance.

PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Investing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review and also agree that an investment handbook for novices, like myself, would be very helpful.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kudos for being bold enough to review this one. I think I would have stayed far away! Did you learn a lot from it yourself? Seeing it was geared toward a more seasoned investor, I hope you were able to take something away from it.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Do you plan to practice any of the ideas presented in this book? I'm not sure I'm in the market for this book, but I probably should be. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would love to learn more about investing, but I know absolutely nothing. Therefore, this sounds like it might be a bit complex for me. If he ever does create a guide for those who have never invested, though, I'll be all over that. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 11:19 I enjoyed your review and also agree that an investment handbook for novices, like myself, would be very helpful.
There's two votes for that, then! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 12:35 Kudos for being bold enough to review this one. I think I would have stayed far away! Did you learn a lot from it yourself? Seeing it was geared toward a more seasoned investor, I hope you were able to take something away from it.
Great review :)
Thanks so much for your kind words. I did learn plenty, although I wish I were more inclined towards financial matters. I definitely enjoy a diverse selection of reading material, though :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

AmySmiles wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 13:14 Do you plan to practice any of the ideas presented in this book? I'm not sure I'm in the market for this book, but I probably should be. Thanks for the review.
Well...
Investing tends to require money, so I'm not in a situation to apply the tips just yet haha :)
Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 09:58 I would love to learn more about investing, but I know absolutely nothing. Therefore, this sounds like it might be a bit complex for me. If he ever does create a guide for those who have never invested, though, I'll be all over that. Thanks for the review!
Throughout the years, my father and brother have both tried to teach me a thing or two about Investing, but I can't say I have any working knowledge on the subject. Thanks for leaving your comments, I always appreciate you doing so :)
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nice review of the book which tells the experiences of hedge fund manager regarding investment avenues. I find it interesting about the advices gives about which kind of stock or commodity to buy.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review and well done for taking on what I imagine was a difficult read. It looks like a very well structured book, but as you say, it will have a small audience.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Having read a handful of financial investing books, I have some interest in this one for its current advice. It sounds like a typically dry topic was handled well here. I really enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. Thanks!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I think this book could really help me. Financial investing is something that I've always found difficult. Hopefully, I get what I need from this book. Thank you for the review.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

prospero360 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 02:22 I think this book could really help me. Financial investing is something that I've always found difficult. Hopefully, I get what I need from this book. Thank you for the review.
I hope you do as well. Thank you so much for your comment :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:09 Having read a handful of financial investing books, I have some interest in this one for its current advice. It sounds like a typically dry topic was handled well here. I really enjoyed reading your review. You are a good writer. Thanks!
What a lovely compliment, thank you! And thank you for taking the time to read my review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”