Official Review: The Day before We Became Rich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Rosemary Wright
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 282
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: MuZen of the Soul by Erika Laszlo

Official Review: The Day before We Became Rich

Post by Rosemary Wright » 04 Aug 2018, 11:42

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day before We Became Rich" by Debbi Dougherty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Day before We Became Rich, by Debbi Dougherty, is the author's account of her financial journey from lack to abundance. The purpose of the book is to encourage readers to build their faith in God despite their difficult financial conditions. In this narrative, Debbi tells how God has been so good and faithful to her. With intriguing and inspiring personal stories, she narrates how she and Kevin, her husband, rose from difficult circumstances.

Written in a journal format, this spiritual guide contains the monetary struggles and breakthroughs Debbi and Kevin have experienced. It consists of some valuable lessons that they have learned along the way. In addition, Debbi relates how she applied the wisdom of God to her problems and obtained positive results. She admonishes Christians to praise God in every circumstance, be patient, help other people, and be grateful to God at all times. Furthermore, she explains the principle of generosity and then highlights the benefits of being a generous giver.

Comprising 123 pages, the narrative is a quick read. It's enlightening and uplifting. It's captivating and easy to understand. The author presented her facts in a simple and clear way. The only flaw I saw in the book is lack of enough details. The author should have elaborated some of her points. A few sections have shallow description, as if she skipped some vital details. Nevertheless, the author succeeded in getting her message across. I enjoyed reading the narrative, and it has encouraged me to keep on helping others. I concurred with Debbi that the more you give, the more you receive, and irrespective of the challenge you face, if you lean on God, you'll overcome.

Intended for Christians, the narrative is mainly about looking to God for guidance and provisions. In an interesting manner, it unveils the importance of tithing and advises readers to hold onto their faith. It shows that God allows his children to go through hard times for a good purpose. Included in the text are a lot of extracts from the Bible. Hence, if you don't like books containing Scriptures, I guess you should skip this one.

Lastly, the book is engaging. It'll be very useful to readers experiencing financial problems. It was well edited since I noticed only a couple of grammatical errors. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rate it higher because, for me, it feels a bit rushed.

The Day before We Became Rich
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!

yoyopat1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoyopat1.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by yoyopat1 » 05 Aug 2018, 08:53

Looking forward to reading it.

stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by stbrians » 05 Aug 2018, 09:34

I love books that put God ahead of everything. Debbie and her husband did this and excelled according to your review. Tithing and generosity are foremost. The fact that all the situations we pass through are meant for our good is a great tip. We should accept all situations.

cpru68
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 112
Favorite Book: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Currently Reading: Conquering your Stress & Fears
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Healthy Living for Women by Indie F. Jones
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 05 Aug 2018, 10:53

I like the concept of this as a good reminder that our money is a blessing from God. I think we can forget who the source is when we are striving for our finances to get in order. This one sounds intriguing! Too bad that it didn’t feel like a good pace and was rushed. It still interests me though. Thanks for this review.
Everything happens for a reason...

Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar » 05 Aug 2018, 11:05

Rosemary Wright wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 11:42
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day before We Became Rich" by Debbi Dougherty.]

Written in a journal format, this spiritual guide contains the monetary struggles and breakthroughs Debbi and Kevin have experienced. It consists of some valuable lessons that they have learned along the way. In addition, Debbi relates how she applied the wisdom of God to her problems and obtained positive results.
Thanks for the honest review. I am wondering if the author gave any mention to negative experiences that could contradict this message. Sometimes we don't always see the way leading to good things, rather to trial and testing. Thoughts?
:wink:

Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi » 05 Aug 2018, 14:04

The Book ''The Day Before We Became Rich'' written by Deborah Dougherty is a representative well written book, where two spouses, Kevin and Deborah want to ask God: ''When will we get rich?'' -This is common wish of almost everybody in this world, as prosperity is particularly desired by all of us, for several reasons though..
We are never too satisfied sometimes, with what we have, and really don't appreciate it enough. Thus God, in this case of book too, wants us to wait a bit, may be longer or just long time, till He fulfills our wish to become rich. If one is rich then one seeks happiness in a Good partner and marriage, some times both. God does His Task of Pedagogy to man!.. He wants us most of the times to wait ''a bit'' until He accomplishes our wish, or any wish besides this, happiness and prosperity..
Wishing to be rich, is a human weakness may be,while we can be satisfied with the money we earn with hard work, and this money is definitely more ''appreciated''..by people.
Yes, you may get what you want, but have we ever though, that for ex. as in this case, when ''we become rich'', we may lose something else, that is more precious for our internal happiness? This happens very often, as it's observed in this life. By all means, we shouldn't wish to get very rich, and if so, let's think of other people that don't even have a house, nor shoes to wear, not to eat..A wise man once said :'' I was sad that I don't have shoes, until I saw someone who didn't have legs''! and so on..We must just give the correct priorities in life, of course money somves many problems, but it cannot buy happiness always. Given we have all other things, then, Okay, we may want to become rich, but not be too demanding to God..or life and its (wise) rules!..I give 3 Star also to this book..

BookReader+6
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreader-6.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by BookReader+6 » 05 Aug 2018, 14:19

I was interested in this book before, and your review makes me look forward to reading it even more!

Katerina Katapodi
Currently Reading:

Post by Katerina Katapodi » 05 Aug 2018, 14:26

Thank You very Much dear, ALL THE BEST TO YOU!!
Kat

Bekamann
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bekamann » 05 Aug 2018, 14:42

Having gone through the reviews, I am a victim of this. I have now learned to be patient and trusting that God has his way of pedagogy to man. I am giving the author Debbi and Kevin a big thanks. I rate 3 out of 4 star.

Katerina Katapodi
Currently Reading:

Post by Katerina Katapodi » 05 Aug 2018, 14:54

All The Best to You!
In God!!..

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller by Frank J. Edwards

Post by teacherjh » 05 Aug 2018, 15:38

It would be interesting to see a Christian perspective on wealth.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Discovering Nonviolence by Charles E. Collyer and Ira G. Zepp, Jr.

Post by Cecilia_L » 05 Aug 2018, 15:44

I love the title of this book and after reading your review, I''m even more interested in reading it. I appreciate that it offers practical advice and scriptures that support it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Katerina Katapodi
Currently Reading:

Post by Katerina Katapodi » 05 Aug 2018, 16:43

Thanks for Your kind words, and good comments on review, ALL THE EBST TO ALL OF YOU,
In God!!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Digger Day by Michael Lee Kirk

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Aug 2018, 19:23

I feel like books like these state that God is only faithful if he blesses you with wealth. I don't like that type of message. So I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: The Intimacy Game
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Soul Pathway to Total Health by Ahmed Y. Tatieta

Post by Eva Darrington » 05 Aug 2018, 21:59

This book doesn't appeal to me, but I wanted to say thanks for a really thorough, balanced review. It sounds like a book Christians would really benefit from.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”