Official Review: Reaching the Shore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Official Review: Reaching the Shore

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book deserves to be read widely, however the violent and brutal reality of prison may overwhelm some sensitive readers. At a mundane level, the book would suit a mature reader interested in the concept of justice, with particular reference to American criminal justice and incarceration. I see the story in a more spiritual light: an advanced soul handling a particularly difficult life with dignity and grace. It showed me that how you handle adversity and endure suffering is indicative of the true nature of your character.
The real trick in life is not coming up with the answer that no one else sees. It isn’t finding a solution to a problem that only appears insurmountable. It is not about keeping a smile on your face no matter the personal destruction. Most meaningful problems in life have no solution. The question is not what you should do, but how much you can take.
I call it endurance. What you can endure is a true measure of your character. How much hell can you put up with? How much pain can you suffer?
–Davin J. Douma
Your insight is beautiful and meaningful. I think both approaches are valid. We should definitely appreciate the spiritual lesson but we should also be concerned about all the problems that the justice and penitentiary system have and strive to solve them.
If the revelation on page 312 of my copy is indeed true, then my opinion is that Davin should never have been sent to prison in the first place.
I absolutely agree. That statement changes everything.

An amazingly insightful and wonderfully written review. Thanks.
playwithme
Currently Reading: Eden: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by playwithme »

A tale on #survival and #Endurance . It's very #Inspirational as it gives us #Courage to keep us going in this #Journey of life which has lots of turbulences.
Can't explain this book in this short review.
Congratulations to today's BOTD and to the author!!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I don't care for survival stories, however "profound" they may be, so I'll pass on reading this.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

This is the story of crime action. David is accused of a murder and his mother is trying to hide the details of his son. it seems like his mother wants to save her son from publicity. thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This story is about the mother's pleas for her son's disastrous life. To see the mother's pleas in such away is new for me especially in form of a text. I can see that there are ups and downs to this read, and I wish to sample this read further myself. Thank you for your review! Very much appreciated.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly this is not a book for me. I would have tried it if it was a fiction. Anyway congratulations on being BOTD and thanks for the free giveaway
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Being accused of murder at age 16 and sentenced to life imprisonment is unimaginable both as a mother and a teen. Can't imagine the trauma. I'd like to find out what really happened and how they dealt with the painful experience.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Such a profound story. To know that this boy went through so much pain and agony while in prison breaks my heart. It’s hard knowing that this is not the only story about the neglect and abuse in the prison system. I definitely will be reading this book.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I agree with SABRADLEY, the thought that your character is measured by enduring hell is depressing. From one perspective I can understand it, that maintaining your values through crushing adversity shows how soul-deep those values are. But I'm not sure that someone collapsing means that they weren't real values.

The idea that prison is too harsh and dehumanizing for criminals is a problem too. I've known a couple of criminals and wish harshness on them as fitting. Of course, we know that, for the most part, criminality is a matter of genes, inability to mature, environment, and horrific events of life. At what point are they past redemption and ... never mind, soapbox, I'll stop.

I'll read it because being the mother of this boy sounds like one of those soul crushing events and I'm sure she's gained some wisdom. Plus, mostly, your thoughts on the spiritual perspective does interest me. I want to think about it more and this book apparently is just the vehicle to start with.
Isaiah2018
Currently Reading: Pivotal Moments
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Isaiah2018 »

From the review, am sure he undergo a very hardship at only 16yr and that was too soon for successful future gal let me check the rest of the story thought it might confuse me abit
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Sounds interesting. I never want to understand the prison system firsthand, but this could be a close enough look for me. Thanks for your review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Reaching the Shore sounds like a great book, a story of survival, courage and endurance. I will definitely add it to my want to read list. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a good book. Makes me curious to find out the details of the case, and what happens to Davin. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

It seems to be an inspirational story of a courageous man and his struggle against the system of justice.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

It sounds like this young man, experienced the horrors of prison life and decided to rise above it. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”