Official Review: Reaching the Shore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Official Review: Reaching the Shore

Post by Charlaigne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reaching the Shore" by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reaching the Shore, in its own words, is a story of survival, courage and endurance. Davin J. Douma was 16 years old when he was accused of murder. He was subsequently tried as an adult and sentenced to life in prison. Bonnie J. Hall is his mother and she intended the book to be a 'non-fiction novel.' She writes about her life while focusing on Davin’s story and its impact upon the family. Davin’s writing is scattered throughout but most of the narrative is from Bonnie’s point of view. When I picked up the book I thought it was going to be about a mother making excuses for her son’s criminal behavior. What I got from the book is so profound it cannot easily be explained in a short review.

Some of the writing was quite beautiful. The parts I most enjoyed were the prologue, the various descriptions of childhood, and what ensued after the final parole hearing. I particularly appreciated Bonnie's ability in writing descriptions (detailed and evocative but not too long or boring). The description of solitary confinement was particularly effective. This book really opened my eyes to the reality of prison and the necessity of prison reform.

There were a few minor issues. I was confused early on when Bonnie suddenly threw in a story about a future husband while she was married to someone else. I couldn’t understand why her daughter chose not to live with her and why Bonnie couldn’t remember visiting her son when he was ill. A couple of chapters were slower in pace and harder to read. Despite these issues, the book seemed professionally edited. I could only find one grammar mistake, which involved incorrect word usage.

This book deserves to be read widely, however the violent and brutal reality of prison may overwhelm some sensitive readers. At a mundane level, the book would suit a mature reader interested in the concept of justice, with particular reference to American criminal justice and incarceration. I see the story in a more spiritual light: an advanced soul handling a particularly difficult life with dignity and grace. It showed me that how you handle adversity and endure suffering is indicative of the true nature of your character.
The real trick in life is not coming up with the answer that no one else sees. It isn’t finding a solution to a problem that only appears insurmountable. It is not about keeping a smile on your face no matter the personal destruction. Most meaningful problems in life have no solution. The question is not what you should do, but how much you can take.
I call it endurance. What you can endure is a true measure of your character. How much hell can you put up with? How much pain can you suffer?
–Davin J. Douma
As I see it, Reaching the Shore is the story of a man who was let down by everyone: his family, his friends, his peers, his lawyer, his counsellor, the justice system, the prison system and the parole system. What he was able to accomplish, while being imprisoned in a harsh and violent environment, is remarkable and inspiring. If the revelation on page 312 of my copy is indeed true, then my opinion is that Davin should never have been sent to prison in the first place. This is not a story I will forget easily. It spoke to me at a soul level and haunted me for days. I have not read a book this significant for a very long time. I hope that more people will give it a chance. It should lead to some interesting (and polarizing) discussions. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Reaching the Shore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charlaigne's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As I see it, Reaching the Shore is the story of a man who was let down by everyone: his family, his friends, his peers, his lawyer, his counsellor, the justice system, the prison system and the parole system. What he was able to accomplish, while being imprisoned in a harsh and violent environment, is remarkable and inspiring. If the revelation on page 312 of my copy is indeed true, then my opinion is that Davin should never have been sent to prison in the first place. This is not a story I will forget easily.

You gave an excellent review on what sounds like a very sad story. I'm slightly confused by the blurring between the historical fiction genre of the book and the non-fiction description from the mother.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I have heard testimonials of ex-convicts on the realities of prison and it is indeed a hellhole. Thank you for your honest review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I have heard testimonials from ex-convicts on the realities of prison and it is indeed a hellhole. Thank you for your honest review.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Hi Cecilia, you're right, I'm confused too. I wouldn't call it historical fiction. It reads like non-fiction.

Edit: I've sent a message to the editors, I hope they change it because I think it's not correct.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for such a poignant yet enlightening review. There are stories behind what's readily transparent before us, and it's always good to have an open mind rather than readily reject someone because of what's obvious. Although I'm not looking for a sad piece, I think this one is worth an exemption if it allows another person a chance at redemption.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Wow, what a powerful experience you describe. It's not every day a book affects us that deeply. I really enjoyed reading your review. I am sensitive to violence, though I think it is important to pay attention to what happens in our prison system. I will put this book on my reading list. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This book interests me a lot, I'm definitely adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Faith Mhizha
Currently Reading: Love's Healing Power

Post by Faith Mhizha »

What an intriguing and sad story about life and enduring hardships. Thanks for the review and congratulations for having been voted BOTD.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'm not a big reader of memoirs or non fiction based literature but I love a story of strength and getting the chance to understand others. I can't imagine how it would be to have a connection to someone who has committed murder. I hope to get an idea of how people can forgive, persevere, and live on after such upheaval.
Kristin1326
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin1326.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kristin1326 »

Thank you for the excellent review Charlaigne. Your review on how the book affected you moved me.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story about a young man’s journey through prison life sounds like a worthy read. The story is written by his mother and follows his life. Too bad about the slow parts and confusing time table. That the book was well edited is to the Author's credit. Too brutal for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Inspiring memoirs are my cup of tea. Will grab the free copy and read it. Thanks for the excellent review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Well, I don't don't whether Davin belonged in prison or not, nor can I imagine a mother not defending bher son wholeheartedly, regardless. In any case, I'm quite certain prison is a horrific experience and will definitely change a person in many ways. I don't necessarily think endurance is about how much hell and pain one can suffer in life...That quote in itself depresses me. I think I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the thorough review.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Thank you for this inspiring review. I love books that make a difference, especially ones so profound, they stay with the reader long after they’re finished. I’ll definitely be adding this one to my list of books to read. Well done.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”