Official Review: Finding The Exit by Lea A. Ellermeier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Official Review: Finding The Exit by Lea A. Ellermeier

Post by Espie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding The Exit" by Lea A. Ellermeier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does it take to be successful in the highly competitive business world? Could a woman excel in a traditionally male-dominated realm? Does a person's past determine one's present and future? Finding the Exit: It's Not Where You Start, It's Where You Finish by businesswoman Lea A. Ellermeier is an autobiography that could provide answers.

Recent statistics show that 80% of new businesses fall and fail within 18 months of commencement. With her book, Lea shared how her firm went past these dismal records for newbies and even went beyond mere survival. Within the span of less than five years, it strove for and achieved what has been said as every start-up's dream of "exit" — getting noticed and bought by a Fortune 100 big name. How she and her team did it should be left to be read more about.

Lea had more obstacles to overcome. She may have lightly quipped about a serendipitous incident that she attributed to a momentary display of faith she had. However, her corporate ventures and experiences weren't as magically smooth sailing as that, and her accomplishments weren't as miraculously instantaneous either. Although current figures already improved, studies show that less than 5% of CEO positions and less than 30% of technology-driven jobs are filled in by women, and both records highlight the magnitude of what females having our author's title and field had to contend with. With her innate intellect, unwavering passion, and inner strength, she had to go way past the barriers of prejudice about her gender and all other circumstances to rightfully earn her spot as a leader and to face detractors and competitors. She narrated how she had to choose, trust, and rally her team, and how she collaborated with her partners. At a time of the early 21st-century recession and socio-economic turmoil in the US, Europe, and other developed countries, she had to believe, haggle for, struggle with, and eventually win the confidence of investors and other stakeholders for her company and its innovative product.

The memoir also contained stories about the author's beginnings — her childhood, her parents, her sister and the rest of her extended family, those people who failed her but she has learned from, and those who made a positive imprint in her earlier life. She recalled her tears and triumphs, her failures and achievements, her fears and dreams, and all else that made her into what she has become and accomplish what she had. She was also open with her story as a mum plagued with guilt at times but who still wanted to do the best she could for her beloved son, a wife struggling in her marriage with her husband who also had to make career and life choices of his own, and all other things among her personal life matters intertwined with her work responsibilities on a daily and strategic basis.

On its essence, this narrative is not for those who aren't interested in succeeding in life. It is definitely for those who want to get out of the rut and onwards to achieving what they should and intend to. It is foremostly relevant to those who want to succeed as entrepreneurs especially those who are planning to start or have just started an enterprise. However, it could also appeal to those in other undertakings or to any other human being who would like to find enough reason and motivation to keep on going for the goal regardless of what that is. It empowers women to think and strive for the best despite prevailing situations. Yet, it could also enlighten those who are debilitated by their own past lives or self-perception or by others' preconceived biases and rejections. It subtly prompts one to think about and be a better version of oneself even against outside forces one has no control of but still had to hurdle.

On its form, the manuscript's 38 chapters may initially have seemed to be a daunting read for me. However, such turned out to be more useful and appropriate. It provided more clarity and logic in presenting events with interspersing timelines and locations especially with the international nature of some parts of her corporation's beginnings and operations. The chapters were well organized but without unnecessarily sacrificing the need to capture the layering, variety, richness, and color prevalent in the author's life enough to keep the reader engrossed. Value-laden and information-filled it may have been, yet the book didn't veer towards unpopular bookishness. It educated and informed without the rigidity of dogma and the boredom caused by lengthy discourses. It tugged at the heart's strings while resonating sense to the psyche but not to the extent of excessive melodrama.

On its quality, I may have found a few errors here and there, but such weren't enough to distract me or to diminish my liking for what I've read. The work still generally appeared professionally edited and proofread, and it even seemed way better than some of the ones I have read or previously done reviews for. The downward pointing arrow in the cover may have signified an antithesis and could connote something people would normally be aversive to, but such was just a matter of aesthetics and marketing that could be resolved with a cover redo later.

Based on what I have written and more, I've got enough reason to conclude that this well-written, insightful book clearly deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating. It had a thought-provoking start. It has been gripping, compelling, and readworthy right up to its end, which could also be a prelude for more.

Finding The Exit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Espie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to admit, when you starting talking about memoir that incorporates business like this, my eyes start to glaze over. This just isn't the book for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it in spite of its daunting 38 chapters! Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I can see that this would be a helpful and inspiring read for those looking for business guidance or similar principles. Thank you for your in-depth review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This book sounds right up my street. Not only do I love a true story but I recognise myself many of the career life choices discussed. And coincidentally I have just read another book targeted at entrepreneurs. Thank you for choosing to review this book...as I shall be adding it to my bookshelves!
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0708835882 »

Sounds captivating and also a good 'boost her up'for business ladies.. But not the best for me.Thenks anyway to the author for good work
Espie

Post by Espie »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 10:02 I have to admit, when you starting talking about memoir that incorporates business like this, my eyes start to glaze over. This just isn't the book for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it in spite of its daunting 38 chapters! Thanks for the information.
This book gave a snapshot of how difficult being an entrepreneur could really be. It just made me admire the author for making it through in a field and a top position, which both normally would have made it way even tougher for women to do so. There were indeed 38 chapters in the 310-paged piece, but such were shorter ones aptly arranged that increased its readability and readworthiness. Reading the memoir didn't disappoint me at all.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and helpful feedback.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 12:31 I can see that this would be a helpful and inspiring read for those looking for business guidance or similar principles. Thank you for your in-depth review.
This book reveals helpful in-depth anecdotal insights on the realities of an entrepreneur's professional life among others, indeed, without being too prescriptive. Thank you for dropping by and sharing your helpful thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:09 This book sounds right up my street. Not only do I love a true story but I recognise myself many of the career life choices discussed. And coincidentally I have just read another book targeted at entrepreneurs. Thank you for choosing to review this book...as I shall be adding it to my bookshelves!
The author has gone through a lot, indeed, but I just withheld the details from my review and was careful not to give out spoilers. Despite her past and all else she had to contend with, she made it through and more. It didn't disappoint me at all, too!

Thank you for your very positive comments. I hope you'd enjoy the book as well.
Espie

Post by Espie »

0708835882 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 22:05 Sounds captivating and also a good 'boost her up'for business ladies.. But not the best for me.Thenks anyway to the author for good work
Whereas it has been written by a woman who encountered and successfully hurdled personal and business issues and odds typically more debilitating for women, I believe that the piece could also be insightful for anyone who wants to succeed as an entrepreneur and in life, in general.

Thank you for sharing your kind words and valuable pieces of thoughts.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am currently mentoring some women who are trying to start their own businesses. This could be a good resource. Thanks.
Espie

Post by Espie »

teacherjh wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 19:36 I am currently mentoring some women who are trying to start their own businesses. This could be a good resource. Thanks.
For someone who's after an insightful anecdotal piece and a business success story, this autobiography will come in relevant. Without much of the usual technical jargons and dogmatic lectures, students should also be able to test, validate, or kickstart their learning as they glean from the book some business and life survival and success strategies the author has employed throughout her professional and personal life experiences.

Thank you for dropping by and sharing your well-meant feedback and thoughts. :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I believe this is a season of entrepreneurial success. Not only am I coming across many books of this theme, but I'm also currently reviewing one. Your in-depth review is insightful and captivating. I will add this book to my to-read shelf. Kudos for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:37 I believe this is a season of entrepreneurial success. Not only am I coming across many books of this theme, but I'm also currently reviewing one. Your in-depth review is insightful and captivating. I will add this book to my to-read shelf. Kudos for the great review!
I agree, Cotwani. I could see lots of positive things ahead, too. Thank you for sharing your precious time, well-meant thoughts, and kind words, and for being an inspiration for this review. Everything is much appreciated.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I believe this book offers many useful tips and insightful pieces of advice. I could use it on a personal level. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 15:15 I believe this book offers many useful tips and insightful pieces of advice. I could use it on a personal level. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks for the enlightening review.
There are many in-depth entrepreneurial and personal insights you could glean from the book indeed. Although it isn't meant as a guide book, the piece delved on the author's experiences and circumstances as well as her corresponding thoughts, decisions, plans, and actions that the reader could learn business and life lessons from.

Thank you for dropping by and sharing your precious time and trinkets of thoughts.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”