Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Sunday diamond »

I also love reading religeous books especialy ones on controversial issues. weldone for your indepth review

adam zanna 2424
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by adam zanna 2424 »

this very interestistis story for religions view judas is not betrayer

alexander254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alexander254 »

I would imagine the creativity in this rather than a matter of spiritual fact.every guess emerges true depending on how you argue.

Klets1
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Klets1 »

From the review above I believe the book contradicted some Bible references as in the case of Judas and James, as we all know that Judas killed himself and out of the scene, calling him James is a big contradiction. Good review anyway.

Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

This book sound interested. Another perspective on Judas story is an eye opener to read but it does not change the fact that Jesus is the Lamb on God, that fact i am discovering it everyday as i grow and draw near to the Lord.

LeeleeByoma
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

I finally figured out how to locate official reviews on this site. This book fascinates me. It is a very interesting point of view by the Gnostics.

Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Wow! This review is a good read in itself! I don't agree with the theory on Judas, but it does sound like a very intriguing book. It would be interesting to see how the text has been interpreted in a different light.
I was hooked onto biblical historical writing after reading Lynn Austins "Gods and Kings". If you haven't read it, please do give it a read.
Congratulations on a great review!

Ruth_Ellen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Ruth_Ellen »

Thank you for such a detailed review! What little I already know about the Gnostic Gospels absolutely fascinates me, so this book has me extremely intrigued. I will definitely add it to my “Want to Read” shelf. :techie-reference:

Waterpristine31
Currently Reading:

Post by Waterpristine31 »

Jesus was and is in a league that He wants and asks us to come into with Him. That's why He came and died that horrible death for us. To enable us to come to Him to take our places in that league WITH Him.

mila_
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: Hippie Woman Wild
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mila.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by mila_ »

I do like to challenge myself if I really am open minded especially on religious topics. Judas has been branded as the black sheep and I can't remember a good story about him. Great review BTW. :tiphat:

Florence Nalianya
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Florence Nalianya »

EvaDar wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2018, 17:39
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if someone provided proof that our long-held beliefs about Jesus of Nazareth were incorrect? Author Robert Wahler is attempting to do just that with his 2016 non-fiction book, Misreading Judas: How Biblical Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time. The author’s thesis offers a new interpretation of the relationship between Jesus and Judas. Wahler asserts the story of Judas was not a betrayal and sacrifice of Jesus at all but rather a self-sacrifice by Judas as part of the Gnostic tradition called mastership succession. The author’s research holds both Jesus and Judas in a very different light from that of orthodox religious teachings. Could Jesus really have been merely one in a succession of many spiritual Masters?

The Gnostic Gospel of Judas was likely composed by second-century Gnostic Christians. The surprisingly intact papyrus containing the text first surfaced publicly in 1970. It reveals conversations between Jesus and Judas Iscariot. Wahler claims no one has correctly translated the Gospel of Judas until his research emerged. He faults the Christian scholars who initially interpreted the text, saying they were ignorant to the Gnostic orientation necessary to adequately understand the ancient writings. In Eastern spiritual traditions, mysticism is the practice of spiritual knowing (gnosis) through meditation and other vehicles for merging with Spirit. A longtime student of Eastern mysticism, Wahler insists the story of Judas and all of the Gnostic Gospels must be interpreted through the lens of mysticism.

In addition to Gnostic texts and the New Testament, Wahler’s comparative analysis draws from the work of Eastern spiritual teacher Maharaj Charan Singh. From this viewpoint, Wahler contends when Jesus tells Judas to “sacrifice the man who bears me,” he is referring to a mystical sacrifice, not the physical sacrifice of Jesus. In the mystical interpretation, Jesus is telling Judas that he (Judas) will sacrifice his individual self to become one with his spiritual Master. This form of self-sacrifice is a traditional practice by the Gnostics of that time. In addition, the author asserts that Judas is the same person as the lesser-known apostle, James the Just. If they are one in the same, according to Wahler, then the Judas-as-betrayer story was a cover for what really happened: James (Judas) succeeded Jesus as Master.

Robert Wahler maintains that the mystical self-sacrifice by Judas, and his subsequent mastership, was misinterpreted and “inverted” by biblical scholars to hide the uncomfortable truth that other great Masters preceded and succeeded Jesus. The simple existence of a succession of Masters through self-sacrifice challenges the conventional knowledge of Jesus’ role in history. Wahler is not saying that Jesus wasn’t a prophet and great spiritual Master. He is saying Jesus wasn’t the only one and that he didn’t die for anyone’s sins. Wahler challenges, “There is no reason to think that the New Testament canon is the original text of the story of the first-century Master, Jesus Christ.”

For a relatively short book, 102 pages, Misreading Judas delivers volumes worth of sound comparative analysis. It is packed with quotations and line-by-line examination. I thought I might tire of the density but found I was fascinated by Wahler’s methods and conclusions. Misreading Judas is not an easy read but is worth the effort. Some of the logic is complicated but at the same time convincing.

Wahler’s writing is clear and easy to follow. The book’s organization facilitates the reader’s understanding of the material. Divided into four sections, the book traverses The Gospel of Judas, The Nag Hammadi Library, The New Testament, and resources on mystic readings of scriptures. Considering the complex punctuation required for the dense quotations, parenthetical and bracketed insertions, I was surprised that there were so few errors. The editor gave impeccable attention to precision in grammar and punctuation. A summary at the end of the book reviews the passages of text that directly support the thesis. Both the summary and Wahler’s concluding remarks help to connect the dots. Note: In deference to Eastern mysticism, Robert Wahler capitalizes the word “Master” in his book. I have done the same for consistency.

Wahler is not entirely alone in his progressive positions. Some cursory research on my part revealed that there is growing consensus among religious scholars for Wahler’s view of Judas as beloved and obedient disciple, rather than betrayer. The author’s belief in the succession of Masters is, however, another story. This is where he is out on a limb. Save non-Christians and very progressive theologians, support for this conclusion is less enthusiastic, to be sure.

I rate Misreading Judas: How Biblical Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time 4 out of 4 stars. If you are open-minded and are interested in biblical history or Eastern mysticism, I think you will be fast captivated by this book. If you are outraged by Wahler’s conclusions, you might enjoy being engaged in what can only be described as the debate of the millennia.

Misreading Judas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
Controversial book of all times nevertheless, you have trapped me to reading it, thanks for this collective review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Garden Gnome Adventures by Jay Atkinson

Post by Tomah »

My knowledge of theology is limited at best, so I'm not sure I would be very interested in or even capable of following this book, though the author seems to take care to write in an organized and accessible way. Nevertheless, it sounds like a well-researched and well-written book that should be great for people interested in religious studies. Thanks for the review!

Sans-kriti

Post by Sans-kriti »

I am not a Christian and have never heard of the idea of even a possibility of Christ being one of a series of masters. It is personally quite surprising and also interesting to know that there is some scholarship that exists on such an issue.
You have provided an excellent and indeed a quite compelling review of Robert Wahler's work and now I can't wait to read this book.

new74life

Post by new74life »

That was a great review, I think. I will make sure to read the book. Reading Wahler's argument, I remembered that the Quran (7th Century) disputed the crucifixion of Jesus stating that "they killed him (Jesus) not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them... for of a surety they killed him not, but Allah raised him up unto Himself; (4:157)" and Islamic traditions assert that God cast the image of Jesus on Judas so Roman guards see him as such.

Another analogy that came to my mind is that certain schools within Islam believe Allah sent prophets in a string started from Adam to this day and this string of "masters", if you like, included all the old and new Testament figures plus Mohammed.

It is well-known that Gnosticism transcended the Abrahamic religions all but these similarities need further analysis, for sure.

jasmine-louise
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

I saw this book and thought it was going to be about something else. After reading the review its a big NO for me.I will not read it or recommend it to anyone.
On a side note I do like how the review was written :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”