Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Ruby96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Ruby96 » 02 May 2019, 03:24

Woah! This literally blew my mind. I've never heard anything like this before, and I'm quite skeptical to be sure, because this challenges everything I've grown up to believe about my faith. I mean, we just celebrated Easter not too long ago and the whole idea of Easter is to commemorate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, who died for our sins. So, hearing that a tradition that has been celebrated for so long is based on nothing but made-up stories concoted by bible scholars is quite hard to swallow and personally, I'd take everything I'd read in this book with a pinch of salt. Great review though, I must say. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ub43I59
Favorite Book: For the Love of God
Currently Reading: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Ub43I59 » 02 May 2019, 03:46

Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler: Open-minded and interested in Eastern mysticism about succession of Masters or outraged at Wahler's conclusions, the reader has the ringside view of the debate of the millennia on the Gnostic Gospel of Judas. :eusa-think: Detailed review. Congrats on BOTD.

anna_68
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anna_68 » 02 May 2019, 15:03

i would love to read this book,so intriguing.never heard this relations between judas and jesus

P Reefer
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 237
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: At the Mouth of a Canon
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by P Reefer » 03 May 2019, 11:37

EvaDar wrote:
01 May 2019, 19:17
P Reefer wrote:
01 May 2019, 14:10
I am somewhat of an openminded individual. Wahler's claim to me is outrageous on the basis that after years of early scholars misreading the interpretation of Jesus, he is able to somehow come up with a true interpretation. Does Wahler's consider how many people receive medically inexplicable healings by praying to the biblical Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
The author does not discount that Jesus was a healer, prophet, and savior. So yes, I think he has considered that there is great power in people's belief in Jesus. Inexplicable healings happen in all religious traditions. It is not a phenomenon specific to Jesus. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for that reminder.

SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by SherHus » 07 May 2019, 21:09

Your review gave great insight into what to expect from the book. However, I would not be interested in reading it.

Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Wokeread » 08 May 2019, 10:16

I might read this book just to satisfy my curiosity on how he arrives at his conclusions and to get a different point of view, though I doubt it would really change my view of the events as already told. Great review, thanks for the details!

SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by SpiritPhoenix » 12 May 2019, 19:54

I've always been intrigued by Judas's character ever since I stumbled across a documentary about the recovered Gospel of Judas and how it challenges long-standing foundations of Christianity. The fact that it wasn't included in holy scriptures made it even more alluring but unfortunately, there wasn't much available on the topic back then and I soon forgot about it, consumed by daily life. To see a book about it surface on the website, and such an in-depth review written on it reignites my interest on so many levels! Thank you so much for the brilliant review. :)

56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by 56lives » 13 May 2019, 08:39

This is an excellent review of a book which may be very controversial in the Christian context. Until I am told how the life of Judas ended, I would not agree with the fact that Judas succeeded Jesus as a Master. Perhaps it is a different Jesus not the Christ I have come to know. However it would be interesting to read the book to have a handle on the comparative analysis and the conclusions.

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Nyambura Githui » 15 May 2019, 03:24

I have never heard of such teachings before. I honestly don't believe this teaching, but everyone is entitled to have different opinions. It seems the author has done his research well.

Carrison kirwa
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Carrison kirwa » 16 May 2019, 03:58

i just want to read the book .its well executed it is worth it thanks for review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”