Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by ShiRah185 »

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
by: ShiRah185

If Jesus' purpose was to come to earth to be sacrificed to save mankind then Judas is not a betrayer. He is the one who helped Jesus fulfill his purpose. Mainstream religion has demonized the Gnostic gospels. It is very encouraging to see an author who is willing to go counter to popular dogma thereby risking his reputation to print his findings on this subject. Congratulations to Wahler and great review.
:congratualtions-smiley: :congratualtions-smiley:
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

This interpretation is radical and very controversial to readers who's belief is entirely the opposite. Definitely Catholics(like me) will disagree with what the author has written, but to read this is worth the try, even just for the sake of knowing.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I have already read this one. Being an atheist, I didn't have any skin in the fight so to speak, so I didn't find it as interesting or moving as other might. But if religion is of great interest to you, this may be a good one to read. Great review!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

Open minded people with religious beliefs could check out this one. I do beleive in various beliefs in religion, however, I don't think this one is for me. Congratulations to the author and thank you for sharing your thorough review.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This is a very interesting perspective am somebody who likes to think outside the box. I would be willing to read about the Gnostic gospel and see what there all about thank you for an amazing review.
Grafted-in13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grafted-in13.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Grafted-in13 »

When it comes to the bible, I'm going to take heed of the verse that warns not to add to or take away anything from it. I do not believe I care to read this book, even to review it. My opinions on it would be very bias from the beginning. So, thanks anyway.
Lib -
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lib.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lib - »

I would ike to read this book. The review makes it sound very interesting. The review seemed to let us to understand this book of scholarly writing about the apostle and his Master, Jesus. It is well-written and easy to follow and understand. I agree with the author's rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Lib -
Susan Solomon
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like unique research on the biblical stories we all know. It looks like the author did a lot of research on Judas. Congrats on the book of the day. Great review.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

This book is new to me because I am unfamiliar about the concepts especially Eastern mysticism. It is good to learn new knowledge from this book because I haven't read biblical history in my entire life. Thank you for your well-written review.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I had no clue about gnostic mystic theology even though am a religious student until I read this book. That aside, people have different views about different things. I respect the author's view of the story of Judas. Most of us have different perspectives about him. I love the author's new idea. And yes, I read Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler and I must coanfess that it really stood out. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

This book deals with a very sensitive subject especially when you consider the author's leanings. While I would likely not agree with the author's viewpoint, I do have to concede that such texts are necessary to spark much discussion concerning its subject. Great review!
Desertsapper
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertsapper.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Desertsapper »

I've often wondered about a few parts of the Judas tradition. Notably, Jesus had to be sold out in order to fulfill his purpose. Additionally, Jesus seemingly had a close relationship with Judas that is glossed over in favor of some of the other apostles. Either those that followed were so angry with Judas that they tried to cover that trail by nearly expunging those closer moments or they were trying to protect Judas from the same authorities that executed Jesus (it is plausible). Judas' supposed suicide isn't very well represented in the bible. One would think the apostles, in their grief, would either celebrate this suicide or dwell a little more on the enemy getting his just reward. Neither is true. It's a footnote. Finally...Jesus knew he would be "betrayed with a kiss". It's possible that he knew this because of his close relationship to the all-knowing God, but it's also possible that Judas and Jesus were in collusion. The seminal event of Jesus life is his death and resurrection, a culmination of all that preceded and a new beginning. The author's assertions that Jesus did not die for the world's sin is where we depart. I can accept that Jesus handed the reigns to his closest confidant and best student, which could have been Judas. I can accept that Judas and Jesus were working together toward the sacrifice Jesus made. I can't really accept that Jesus martyrdom was merely to cover some transfer of mystical consciousness between Jesus and Judas. But I am interested in reading more. Thanks for the review.
"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."
-Friedrich Schiller - Wallensteins Lager
Blueeyez8
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blueeyez8.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Blueeyez8 »

There are so many views and perspectives on religion. This book seems to be another perspective that could be possible. I remain objective on the religion subject because there are so many views but no solid proof. I am not one that reads these types of books and do not plan on reading this one. I do believe that the book is well written and would be a good read for those into these types of books
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thank you for your review. Your analysis was thoughtful and presented in a manner respectful of the various viewpoints.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sar1994young
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sar1994young.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Sar1994young »

This is a very in-depth review for any open-minded reader. The world is full of mysteries and who knows, this writer could've been inspired by the Holy spirit himself. Only the people living back in that time would know the real truth. However, it is fascinating to read and contemplate the potential theories of the time surrounding Jesus Christ. I do not believe he is one of many "masters", but it would be interesting to hear about other perspectives. Thank you for this thought provoking review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”