Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by rusyalana »

Non-fiction books, especially the religious ones are not my cup of tea, so I'll pass on this one. But I'm sure that there are definitely people who will be drawn to this book. I personally believe that the more people there are the more interpretations they will give for various ideas. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I will add this book to my want-to-read bookshelf as I like reading about religious investigations. The author's theory about Judas sounds fascinating. Also, I am an open-minded person, so I will not get offended by the content of the book. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

What an interesting book. If the author's conclusions were correct, then that would be a huge controversy. I cannot draw my own conclusions without having all the facts first, though. I would love to read more on this subject. Thank you for your insightful review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thanks for a highly interesting review! Although I do not necessarily confide in the author's expertise in analysing and interpreting the gnostic Gospel of Judas, I do think his ideas are interesting and make us reconsider the traditional story of Judas' betrayal and Jesus' sacrifice. I also find Eastern mysticism rather fascinating and I'll keep in mind the idea of James (Judas) succeeding Jesus as Master in a neverending cycle.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by V&egrave;&egrave; Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

History is a beautiful subject and although Whaler's view sounds a little incredulous to me, he is very much entitled to his opinion. Sounds interesting.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

This scholarly work is fundamentally fallacious. You can't attempt to understand the Christian bible using the mysticism of the eastern religious practice, and not end up with a grossly misleading answer, such as the one expressed in this book. It's the same thing as attempting to see the day through a pair of dark lens; you'll end up calling the day night. As scholarly as this work may seem, I think it is based on a misguided viewpoint. Thanks for your delightful review.
Desertsapper
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertsapper.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Desertsapper »

Thanks for the very well-written review. I'm interested from the perspective that truth is very seldom objective and that this interpretation may shed some light on some poorly understood and relatively unchallenged but confusing aspects of Jesus of Nazareth's last days (either walking the earth or as a mere mortal, depending on your beliefs). It has always bothered me that Judas is held as strictly a betrayer, when it is clear in even the New Testament gospels that he is doing exactly what Christ asks in exactly the way he asks to produce exactly the result Christ needed to fulfill his quest on Earth (regardless of what that purpose may have been - salvation or something else entirely). It sounds like Wahler has examined this and is approaching the question from the Gnostic tradition. I'm interested to read what he has to say.
"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."
-Friedrich Schiller - Wallensteins Lager
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The book sounds well written. I may not read this. I'm also not familiar with eastern mysticism. However, your review is very detailed. Thanks for the review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

This is perfect for people who are very open-minded about religious texts and interpretation. I don't like nonfiction books though, so I'm gonna pass on this one.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Tety
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tety »

Religious reads aren't my thing either so I'll pass this.
virgino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by virgino »

Thank you for the review and your opinion about the book. I wish to hold on to my faith and the biblical teaching about Judas.
schatz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by schatz »

by reading this book "misreading Judas" by Robert Whaler it reminds me of myself that people can actutally say what they want to say staff about you most especially the bad things you have done but at some point of your life you will know who and what you are like the book "Misreading Judas" that the writer mr. Rober Whaler has to say more about this kind of character. Give time and also put some interest to this kind of situation because one day in your life you will encounter this situation and by that you'll understand what life gives you but a lesson to learn :)
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Jdalba2018 »

Thanks for your review, I will give it a try with an open mind as you recommend considering how controversial the subject is.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

I've read the free Amazon sample of the book. It sounds brilliant, unfortunately, the majority of the sample was dedicated to reviews about the book.

I'm buying this book to sate my curiosity.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Once again I find the rating to be misguided. The author mentions some errors but didn’t lower the score

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”