Official Review: Tai Solarin by Dele Babalola

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: Tai Solarin by Dele Babalola

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tai Solarin" by Dele Babalola.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I picked up the biography, Tai Solarin: Africa's Greatest Educationist and Humanist because he was an educator. As a teacher, I was interested to read about his famous Mayflower School where students were taught academic, technical, and life skills. I was increasingly impressed as I read about this man who inspired his students to reach for their dreams.

The layout of the book was not exactly what I was expecting from a biography. It does not follow a linear path from Tai’s birth to death. It starts out with a foreword written by a former student which focuses mainly on why the author is qualified to write the book. The next chapter is a tribute to the teacher by the author. He speaks of Tai’s humble character and dedicated life philosophy. Then another alumnus writes the introduction which is basically a review of the book itself. Only after all this does what I consider the meat of the story begin. Nevertheless, it begins at the end with the author describing how he learned of Tai’s death. Interestingly, Tai requested a quick and simple burial. This was very counter-cultural for Nigeria, but despite the crowds wanting to make their condolences, his wishes were honored. This is just one example of a man who did not follow convention but lived and died according to his own values.

The rest of the book details both Tai’s life and the legacy of the Mayflower School he founded. Tai came from poor beginnings. He worked to put himself through school, became a teacher and joined the Royal Navy. He faced many obstacles but refused to quit. Throughout his life, he also fought for social justice. His opposition to the government even got him imprisoned.

My favorite part of the book was the chapter describing a typical week at the Mayflower School. Students were awakened at 5:30 AM for exercise and morning assembly. There was a high moral code and students caught skipping assembly were punished. Assembly consisted of singing and a morning lecture about either philosophy or scientific research. This was followed by breakfast and classes. One group of students each day would be excused from classes to work around the campus. The afternoon included lunch, siesta, and what was called society activities. Students were divided into groups to take care of animals or work in the fields. After supper, there was an evening assembly. Students were given quiet time to reflect, read, and memorize famous speeches. The author reports that he read 5-10 books a week while attending Mayflower. The day ended with a study hall and sometimes singing. Saturdays were for farm work and cleaning. In the evening there would be time for games and social activities. Sundays there was a community gathering. Tai would speak to the students about his life philosophy. As an atheist, he believed man had only himself to rely on. He spoke of diligence, persistence, generosity, the value of suffering, and self-denial. I was especially interested in his belief that leaders should live and suffer just like the masses. Then they would sympathize with the people and work together to improve everyone’s lives.

This school was so different from what we see today. The combination of military discipline, practical knowledge, and high academic expectations created numerous high-profile, successful graduates. The author felt that many of Nigeria’s current problems could be solved by following Tai’s life philosophy and values. I tend to agree. For this reason, I rate Tai Solarin 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it to anyone interested in social justice, educational reform, or positive thinking.

Tai Solarin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not normally very interested in non-fiction books, but Tai sounds like a fabulous person. I love that he founded the school, and it sounds like it would be interesting to learn about a typical week there. Thanks for the review. I'll keep this one in mind when I'm looking for a biography.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not into biographical books but Tai Solarin seems like a humble and courageous person who helped many get education. It would be interesting to know the perspective of Tai's students about him. Thanks for the review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I think I'll have to give this book a read - I have never read a book that details a school in Nigeria. I think this will be a thought-provoking book for me.
Jackie Holycross

Allyseria wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:07 Thank you for your review. I think I'll have to give this book a read - I have never read a book that details a school in Nigeria. I think this will be a thought-provoking book for me.
It was really interesting to see a different perspective.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Solarin sounds like an interesting and honorable man. Off hand, I wouldn't say that I agree that military discipline and an atheistic life philosophy based on the ideas that "man had only himself to rely on" and the "value of suffering" are the best way to solve the problems of any society (or within any individual). More and more I realize that I believe in the power of a connected community over the power of the individual. And I am skeptical about what some people mean when they talk about the value of suffering (as is a life of suffering is better than a life of peace, health, and wholeness?). But perhaps these ideas are strongly tempered by his ideals of persistence and generosity. Your review does make me want to learn more about him though.
Adora_300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adora-300.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Adora_300 »

How is it that I have never heard of this man before and have lived in Nigeria? Lovely review! I'd definitely grab a copy soon!
primeRex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primerex.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by primeRex »

Thua Tai would thunder with livid outrage over the lackadaisical mannerism flagrantly displayed in Nigeria today. I am keenly drawn to this book because, I percieve it to be a guide for idealistic accomplishments. Great review by the way.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I tend to not enjoy biographies so I am unsure how much I would enjoy this book, but Tai does sound like an interesting person. I may take a look at it because I like how you wrapped up your review and included those who are interested in positive thinking might enjoy the book.
Mac :techie-reference:
Jackie Holycross

primeRex wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 03:36 Thua Tai would thunder with livid outrage over the lackadaisical mannerism flagrantly displayed in Nigeria today. I am keenly drawn to this book because, I percieve it to be a guide for idealistic accomplishments. Great review by the way.
Thanks for the compliment. Reading this book made me want to learn more about Nigeria.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It sounds to me like I would be torn between some of the positive educational values, and the more austere beliefs around punishment and isolationism. Might be interesting to read it and sort through that, though. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Jackie Holycross

mac83 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 10:25 I tend to not enjoy biographies so I am unsure how much I would enjoy this book, but Tai does sound like an interesting person. I may take a look at it because I like how you wrapped up your review and included those who are interested in positive thinking might enjoy the book.
His life philosophies were some of the parts I liked best. I think you would enjoy it.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Tai definitely sounds like a man ahead of his times; I believe that many of our education systems utilised today could benefit from a few pointers from Tai's philosophy. Thanks for the review!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very cool. I love to read and learn, and this is definitely an area of the world where my knowledge is limited. Sounds like a great story about a great educator. I will look for this book. Thanks for the great review!
Jackie Holycross

jcoad wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 07:22 Very cool. I love to read and learn, and this is definitely an area of the world where my knowledge is limited. Sounds like a great story about a great educator. I will look for this book. Thanks for the great review!
It definitely expanded my worldview. I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”