Official Review: Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts" by Sylvia Abolis Mennear.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts: Fentanyl, the Killer by Sylvia Abolis Mennear is a true story based on the tragic drug overdose of her son, Aaron, at age 30. On April 19, 2017, mum Sylvia goes to rouse Aaron from his bedroom only to find him stone cold. He has been dead for hours. In these opening paragraphs, we meet the Mennear family in the most horrific way possible as they discover their much-loved son and brother this way.

We read Aaron's own account of a terrible skiing injury he suffers three years earlier in January 2014, where he breaks his tibia in six places and sustains other serious damage to his left leg. Despite months of rehabilitation, he aims to compete in the ABBA Northern Body Building Contest, which he does in May 2015, an extraordinary effort from a determined young man. During his recovery, a wheelchair-bound Aaron stays with his parents for a long period. During this time, Silvia begins thinking her son might be taking more pain medication than necessary. But no matter what she says, he doesn't want to listen. What the family doesn't know is that Aaron has had a drug problem for a very long time...

This is an emotionally powerful book written by a grieving mother mourning the death of her son. She says Aaron was a lovely boy who grew into a caring young man. It is also insightful to have notes and descriptions included in Aaron's own words. His terrible drug addiction begins with ecstasy in high school and progresses to cocaine and heroin, continuing all through his twenties. Despite his parents urging all three of their sons to come to them with any problems, an ashamed Aaron tries to deal with his drug problem on his own. His parents never know until it is too late.

Sylvia includes information on drug overdose deaths and the effects of steroids, cocaine, heroin, and fentanyl, all used by Aaron. In British Columbia, Canada, where the Mennears live, there were 914 illicit drug overdose deaths with fentanyl recorded from January to September 2017. This was 147% higher than the 370 for the same period in 2016. Fentanyl was recorded in 83% of all illicit drug overdose deaths for this period, compared to just 4% back in 2012. Between 2015 and 2017, illicit drug overdose deaths overtook suicides, motor vehicle accidents and homicides as the most common unnatural deaths in British Columbia. These statistics brought home the seriousness of the problem for me, as I could see it was not just a grieving mother making something out of nothing.

The chapter by Aaron's girlfriend, Shauna, who helps him deal with terrible withdrawal symptoms when doctors cut him off from opioid drugs, is gut-wrenching in its reality. She describes weaning him off his "come-down" drug Dilaudid, having to hide it from him, and feeling more like his mother than his girlfriend. I also found it touching that Aaron wanted to help others get off Fentanyl. He lost some friends to it before his own death, and began planning a program he called LIFESAVERS. His handwritten notes considered all aspects, from focus, website, advertising, phone numbers, etc. Unfortunately, he never got the chance to launch his initiative.

There were only a handful of minor issues with this book for me, mostly formatting and a few typographical errors. For neatness, I would recommend using full justification for the text, not left justification. Also, the contents page lists sections but is missing the page numbers for those sections. Other than that, I found only five examples of missing punctuation or words truncated by a line break. I did not pick out errors from Aaron's sections or other items because Silvia left these unedited intentionally.

Given the powerful story and relevant information included by Silvia in Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars despite the minor errors. The author includes useful detail about illicit drugs and their effects, a copy of the coroner's report for Aaron, and notes from both Aaron and his girlfriend Shauna about his experiences. Her research makes it clear that the problem of illicit drug deaths in British Columbia is worsening at an alarming rate. I would recommend this book to all parents of children around their teens or anyone else affected by a drug problem. Just be warned: it is a heart-wrenching emotional journey. We all like to think this couldn't happen to us, but Sylvia and her family are living proof it could happen to anyone.

Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This book sounds emotionally taxing. I could see where it would be a beneficial read though. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow, I really admire this mother's choice to share her heartbreaking story. I teared up just reading your candid review.
lavisha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lavisha »

what i have liked about this book is that it's based on a true story.... i also admire that the mother shared about his son's situation which is very rare some of them like to keep it a secret afraid of what people will say
Stalin Muthuswamy
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stalin Muthuswamy »

Excellent. I found this book is more advance in educating the young people of today who abuse drugs through Aaron's life incidents. It was unfortunate that he could not conduct the life savers program. But however the death of aron may change lots of lives.
I give 4/4 for this book
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

It indeed must cost much courage for Sylvia to open up about her experiences in parenting a child who died of drug overdose. I love how you put your feelings into words. Thank you for your review.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Overdoses happen way too often, but it's a touchy issue for me as someone who suffers from chronic pain. Because the government is trying to take away all pain killers even from those that need it. Anyway, it sounds like this is a powerful story. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am so glad to hear about this book. I think stories like this are what is needed for addiction to be more fully understood. It can literally happen to anyone. I will look for this book! Your review is very well written and comprehensive. Thanks!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review: But a sad and heart throbbing feeling for a waste of such a young life. Drug addiction is on the rise in young adults. If they can read Sylvia's story "Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts" they will considered that "fenatly" and all those other "uppers" are deadly. It certainly is a good book to read.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I have a weakness for true stories. I bet I'll be drowning in my own tears before I even get halfway through the book. However, I don't usually gravitate towards books about suicide but your detailed review has piqued my interest. Thank you!
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

Surely a gripping, deeply saddening story. The reviewer has been able to capture its deep emotion well. Needless to say, drugs are devastating and apart from the powerful, real-life story, one also gets an update of the latest drugs and their diabolic power.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a tragic story. I've heard so many times how selfish suicide is. That is because of the heartbreak of those left behind. The statistics you provided are quite haunting. It is sad how prevalent a preventable disease like addiction can be. No one has to die from an addiction, yet it is all too common.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I can imagine how much emotion was poured into the compilation of this book. The author has done well in getting this work out for many to read, it would be one to save numerous lives.

Thank you..
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

My ex- was addicted to crack cocaine for the better part of our 15+ year "marriage", so I know firsthand the devastating effects of drugs. I'm therefore glad that this book is out there, but I personally will not be reading it, for it'd surely rouse too many bad memories for me... Thanks for the very thorough review, though.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:57 This book sounds emotionally taxing. I could see where it would be a beneficial read though. Thank you for the review.
It was a really tough read, but well worthwhile. I certainly felt terrible for the family.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”