Official Review: Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Re: Official Review: Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:35 Wow, I really admire this mother's choice to share her heartbreaking story. I teared up just reading your candid review.
Yeah, a highly emotional story for sure. And, given its relevance to so many, one that cried out to be told. A very brave mother reliving her pain for the benefit of others.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

lavisha wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:52 what i have liked about this book is that it's based on a true story.... i also admire that the mother shared about his son's situation which is very rare some of them like to keep it a secret afraid of what people will say
Definitely incredible bravery and strength from Sylvia to tell her family's tragic story.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Stalin Muthuswamy wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 23:05 Excellent. I found this book is more advance in educating the young people of today who abuse drugs through Aaron's life incidents. It was unfortunate that he could not conduct the life savers program. But however the death of aron may change lots of lives.
I give 4/4 for this book
Certainly a worthwhile book to educate other parents and teens about the terrible dangers of drug abuse.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Fuzaila wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 02:47 It indeed must cost much courage for Sylvia to open up about her experiences in parenting a child who died of drug overdose. I love how you put your feelings into words. Thank you for your review.
Thank you. Yes, incredible courage and love shown by Sylvia in sharing her story.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 08:10 The Book 'Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts'' is a very emotional book, causing grief with the story of a young biy who dies in his teens from drugs. The story demonstrates and highlights some bad aspects of life, in this case the worst aspects of life, from problems that are painful to any parents, whose young boy or girl dies from drugs!.
Unfortunately drug addiction and death from drugs are a major problem for young people mostly nowadays, and it's horrible that drug addiction almost always leads to death.
Hard drugs, like cocain and heroine etc, and addiction to them is the worst thing that can happen in a family who have young children, that seem condemned to death since already first time they take them. Parents love their children so much, may be much more than children love them! They can never imagine that such things can happen to their own sonand daughter in their teens already, when heart and spirit should already fly to dream and heaven of earth, but unfortunately it seems that mission of heaven is the worst thing in this case, when heaven is transformed to hell!
Parents have dreams for their children, may be for studies, good job and a good marriage for them later. So do young people, or should do for themselves. In order to make dreams and ppan for future, their heart is broken already and their dreams shattered already at this age, since they've addicted to drugs. And yes, what if a love disappointment for example has happened to them, or they just got once bad notes at school? At their age, they still have life ahead to wait for them, give themselves another chance, a third chance may be and so on! And finally pain is of parents, and grief and dispair in this case, and wish this should not have happened to their families and them, by saying ''this does not regard us''. But what's truth? Yes, this can happen to anyone and any family, so parents nowadays should be alert, should have understanding for the problems of their children, offer them warmth, and a home environment of safety, in order to prevent this from happening, and mainly be in close touch with their children, and be awake to any problem that may happen to them! This does not mean they should be overprotective, but just protect their children and advise them on many issues of life, give them instructions on how to think, and what to avoid to do. Inform them on several temptations they may face in life, when they should be careful, but let them also be independent, with self confidence, but also to obey their parents, who are more aware of dangers of adolescence, and surely always encourage them!..
This book touches sensitive sides of life, all parents should be alert when their children reach the age of at least 13-14 and well informed on what their young children until age of 18 always do when they are not at home! Inform them on time on dangers of drugs, and teach them to have interests apart from school to fill their spare time!
The style of book is well cared, with sensibiity, and descriptive in a way that causes emotion, and touches hearts! It's better to prevent than try to restore later. Good format, being read to the end with high interest to it. I've given already 4 Stars to this book,!!
Thanks for your excellent and detailed comments, Katerina! It is indeed a tragic situation that sadly affects so many throughout the world. We all need to do what we can to protect our own loved ones from the horrors of drug abuse.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 09:07 Overdoses happen way too often, but it's a touchy issue for me as someone who suffers from chronic pain. Because the government is trying to take away all pain killers even from those that need it. Anyway, it sounds like this is a powerful story. Thanks for a great review.
A very powerful story indeed. I'm sorry to hear of your chronic pain. I suffer from regular migraines myself which require regular pain medication to manage. I can see how, for an impressionable young man like Aaron recovering from a serious injury, this could be a very fine line to tread.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 17:12 I am so glad to hear about this book. I think stories like this are what is needed for addiction to be more fully understood. It can literally happen to anyone. I will look for this book! Your review is very well written and comprehensive. Thanks!
This book really does show how an insidious drug problem can work its way into any family, and the parents may have no idea until too late.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

elizab8 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:35 Interesting review: But a sad and heart throbbing feeling for a waste of such a young life. Drug addiction is on the rise in young adults. If they can read Sylvia's story "Shattered Dreams and Broken Hearts" they will considered that "fenatly" and all those other "uppers" are deadly. It certainly is a good book to read.
A tragic waste for sure. And certainly a worsening problem in the modern world.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 02:07 I have a weakness for true stories. I bet I'll be drowning in my own tears before I even get halfway through the book. However, I don't usually gravitate towards books about suicide but your detailed review has piqued my interest. Thank you!
Definitely highly emotional reading! Sorry, I don't think I made it clear, but Aaron's death was ruled an accidental overdose, not suicide.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

rchacko wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 09:04 Surely a gripping, deeply saddening story. The reviewer has been able to capture its deep emotion well. Needless to say, drugs are devastating and apart from the powerful, real-life story, one also gets an update of the latest drugs and their diabolic power.
The story definitely grabbed me from the first page and had me hooked until the end.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 09:52 What a tragic story. I've heard so many times how selfish suicide is. That is because of the heartbreak of those left behind. The statistics you provided are quite haunting. It is sad how prevalent a preventable disease like addiction can be. No one has to die from an addiction, yet it is all too common.
Aaron's was actually an accidental overdose, but you are absolutely right. Nobody should have to deal with the heartache of losing a loved one to drugs. It's a senseless waste of a young life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”