Official Review: God Promised Me Wings to Fly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
cpru68
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Favorite Book: More Heavens Than One
Currently Reading: Supraphysica
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Call of the Couch by Larry Schneiderman
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: God Promised Me Wings to Fly

Post by cpru68 » 29 Jul 2018, 13:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Promised Me Wings to Fly" by Janet Grillo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In her book, God Promised Me Wings to Fly, Janet Grillo details the devastation she experienced during a time in her life when she thought she had found true love. Beginning with childhood events that solidified her faith in God, she writes about marriage, divorce, remarriage and the shock of a suicide.

This book contains not only a personal testimony of how the author dealt with grief and deception but how she threw herself into the arms of God to find the light at the end of a dark tunnel. The reader is exposed to all of her pain, anxiety, and torment as her life is ripped to shreds. In her lowest points, she found hope through books, journaling, and fervent prayers. She shares all of this with her audience so that she can offer comfort and support to those who may be walking on the same path.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the author's open and honest discussion of her feelings. She does not hold back when it comes to expressing her frustrations over her many losses and how she turned to heaven to assist her in recovering and moving forward. Many books that inspire in this way will often make it seem like it's a simple snap of the fingers and life gets back on track. This is not the case with this story, and I think that reflects the true nature of what she endured trying to regain a sense of stability. The process may take a while, and this is demonstrated chapter by chapter as she struggles to find peace in her relationships, finances and mental health.

What I found most striking was the fact that the author never throws in the towel when it comes to love. Her giving nature and her intense affection toward humanity continue to shine through as she is trying to survive emotionally. Some people would have given up and decided to hide away to protect themselves from future hurts. This is not the case with Janet Grillo. You can see how deep her spiritual life goes and the genuine oneness she has with her Creator. A beautiful addition is that she includes uplifting quotes from her favorite authors, scripture pages, and intimate letters from God and loved ones who have crossed over into heaven.

I found some sections of the book needing improvements. I only mention this in the spirit of what the author said many times of how God led her to write this book, and that she would be offered direction and help. I am going on the assumption that when I picked this title to read out of the numerous ones that I could have chosen, it was a divine assignment. While reading, I found that there were too many interruptions that took away the emotional impact of the story. My eyes were glued to the page when she described her second marriage and the death that occurred. In the middle of this, it seemed like the book turned in another direction. Similar to a commercial break where the viewer is left hanging, she then resumes the story. Chapter 6 felt out of place as she described how she helped save the lives of others. She also used this sentence on a few occasions: Now back to my story. Every time there was a break like this, it took me out of the intensity and emotion of the writing. There is an assortment of links to buy products intermixed with her personal accounts which also was distracting.

Another red flag for me was the extent to which the author included other works in her book. I didn't mind the slight recommendation of other writings to assist readers, but entire sections and chapters of other books were included. I would suggest putting the names of titles altogether in one place and offering them as additional books to buy and read.

I would recommend that the author revisits the first part of the book and consider focusing her attention like a laser beam on the issue of her second husband's death and the fallout. From there, she can show how God used her to help others and how He brought healing to her life. Otherwise, the writing is difficult to follow as there are sections that trail off with no coherence. A concise outline and timeline of events might help shape this up so that clarity flows throughout the entire book. I say all of this with the intent that I want to see this book be the powerful tool for which it was intended. A great way to make this happen would be for all of her resources to be placed in a special section geared toward the public after her story is told outright.

If I were rating this book on its story, I would give it a perfect score. The author has a blistering narrative to share with the intention of bringing awareness and relief to others, however, in its current state, it is not easy to navigate one's way through the material without feeling lost. I would be remiss in not mentioning this. There are also errors in punctuation, grammar, and spelling and needs further proofreading. This book would be best suited for those going through grief, or for those who want to know more about the subject of suicide. It does have a Christian flair without being heavy, however, for those who do not practice this, it may not be of interest. With a hope that the author carefully considers revamping this material, I am giving this a 2 out of 4 stars.

God Promised Me Wings to Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...

Corhan2
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Corhan2 » 30 Jul 2018, 02:45

Wow - this story sounds very emotional. I also hope the author revamps this book because I truly believe that it can be of help to a lot of people. Thanks for your great review.

booklysis
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by booklysis » 30 Jul 2018, 03:07

So much of emotion in one book!

frebyo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by frebyo » 30 Jul 2018, 04:12

Very touching and so interesting hope the author to do more again on it because its truly life changing book

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Change in Plan by Dana Peters

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jul 2018, 07:35

Sounds highly emotional. I hope that they will revamp the book to make it even more pleasing to the reader. Thanks for your honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: The Magical Adventures of Jimmy Crikey by Wallace E Briggs

Post by Eva Darrington » 30 Jul 2018, 09:18

I was following your journey through this book in your review and could feel the frustration - a really good story that was muddled by inconsistency in other areas. I hope the author takes your suggestion and reworks it a bit. Thanks for the great review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

DAVID MWALIMU
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by DAVID MWALIMU » 30 Jul 2018, 09:28

The book "God promised Me Wings to FLY" looks so boring even at the story line when she mentions the word "divorce"
It has really wasted my moods,I personally don't like disappointing relationships...I won't bother to read this stuff!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Violent Leadership by Wesley Middleton

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Jul 2018, 09:42

It's always so difficult rating books like this that you know are straight from the heart and completely emotional for the author. You want to give them a perfect score, but that doesn't help the author to improve the book. It sounds like with the help of a good editor, this book could go far. Thanks so much for your review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:20

DAVID MWALIMU wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:28
The book "God promised Me Wings to FLY" looks so boring even at the story line when she mentions the word "divorce"
It has really wasted my moods,I personally don't like disappointing relationships...I won't bother to read this stuff!
I don't fully understand when you say 'It has really wasted my moods.' I am not able to decipher that sentence. But, it is clear that this is not the book for you. That's why we do reviews so people can find books that resonate with them.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:21

Corhan2 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 02:45
Wow - this story sounds very emotional. I also hope the author revamps this book because I truly believe that it can be of help to a lot of people. Thanks for your great review.
[/quote

It is great story even though its rough to read in parts with all of her losses and hurts. But, the restoration process she went through was/is awesome!

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:23

booklysis wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 03:07
So much of emotion in one book!
Yes! It's a story that involves so many emotional aspects from losses to wins. The good news is that she is now winning, and this book is so inspirational.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:24

kandscreeley wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:42
It's always so difficult rating books like this that you know are straight from the heart and completely emotional for the author. You want to give them a perfect score, but that doesn't help the author to improve the book. It sounds like with the help of a good editor, this book could go far. Thanks so much for your review.
When I read a book, it becomes almost like figuring out where the puzzle pieces should go to make it all the better. Thanks for reading my review. It is quite the story of heartache to triumph.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Cecilia_L » 30 Jul 2018, 17:56

It's obvious that you connected with the book. I especially like how you described her honest approach regarding her difficult circumstances rather than the tendency to gloss over them. I hope the author will take your advice and make some revisions. It sounds like it could offer hope and encouragement to those going through similar issues. Thanks for the honest review.

Ever_Reading
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Play Sgt. Pepper One More Time by Chuck Wanager
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 01 Aug 2018, 02:50

I love the humble and kind approach you took in your review of the book. I really hope the author takes the time to read your suggestions and then take them into consideration. Great work!

Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 » 01 Aug 2018, 06:25

It's quite evident the author poured the whole of herself into this amazing piece. And I think it would make an interesting read. The issues here are much though!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”