Review by Rogers Otieno -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Rogers Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogers-otieno.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Rogers Otieno -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Rogers Otieno » 27 Jul 2018, 04:58

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a wonderful autobiography which illustrates his perception that doing away with old conservative ideas and transforming from selfish to a selfless way of thinking enables one to lead a fulfilled and meaningful life. Mr. White’s novel is presented in conspectus form which chronologically highlights the story of his life, detailing his rise from a poor man to an accomplished and successful business mogul. Rob White was taught at an early age to focus on the possibility of success and not its probability. As a result, he has utilized this critical life lesson to positively shape his approach to success and wealth throughout his life journey. In essence, he has learned that success does not just come from silver platter but rather through concerted efforts, hard work and determination to achieve.

On the other hand, Mr. White discovers that enormous amounts of wealth can neither fully satisfy inner feelings and desires for self-actualization nor provide true happiness to an individual. As such, he decides to tour the world visiting places like Africa, New Orleans, and Denver and meeting celebrities like Marianne Williamson and Stephen Covey. However, despite meeting all the famous people, his meeting with Margaret, a young girl, is what changes his quixotic and selfish way of viewing life due to the honesty and sincerity in the questions she asks him.

I particularly enjoy the way Mr. White narrates the story in a humble, honest and engaging manner. I also admire how. Mr. White honestly acknowledges that he is wrong to believe that his life revolves around myths. I feel inspired by the fact that he can change his false perception and adopt a more realistic view of life. I also like Mr. Whites’s autobiography because it is very inspirational and it facilitates the art of self-inspection in individuals and reiterates that everybody is important in life irrespective of his or her economic, social, religious or political backgrounds. Additionally, Mr. White elaborates that everybody is interconnected and can affect and learn from each other in many ways. What I love most is when he describes his encounter with Margaret, a young girl, and I discover that everybody one meets in life is essential and should not be overlooked irrespective of who they are or where they come from.

What I don’t like in the story is how Mr. White observes a Maasai mother offer her live child to a hyena as part of their traditional cultures. I have a firm conviction that he ought to use his influence and step in to save the child rather than sit back and please the villagers.

Mr. White has successfully caught my attention with his use of palette words which invoke vivid imageries in me. Additionally, he uses a first-person tone in narrating the story which makes the autobiography more realistic and lively and his story cites moods of humility, fulfillment, and self-introspection in me which I like. I have not encountered any grammatical errors while reading the book and I have also gained useful inspiration on success, determination, and humanity, which makes me give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who would love to gain the inspiration of overcoming life challenges, the knowledge of attaining success in any career and the confidence of establishing meaningful and genuine relationships.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rogers Otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”