Official Review: The Myth of Easy by Taz Lake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Myth of Easy by Taz Lake

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Myth of Easy" by Taz Lake.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He knew a little Spanish. He studied before they had embarked. Still, he absolutely did not want to accidentally say the wrong thing to the guy holding the machine gun. Author Taz Lake analyzes the changes to all aspects of life caused by new technology in The Myth of Easy.

Taz Lake began to put serious thought into the way that we approach projects when a key stakeholder in his company asked if a new platform would make his job easier. New technologies are often seen as deeply complex. However, much of our emerging technology is meant to simplify every aspect of our working and personal lives. The idea of simplification changes the way that we make decisions every day. These perceptions and views on how our work should be done and how our lives should be lived differ by culture. It is important to step outside of the bubble of your own culture to understand and decide what really fulfills you. A large budget is no substitute for experience and perseverance.

This book left me a bit confused. The reason for my confusion is simply that the author did not present a solid point. I am still not completely sure what the main idea is here. Often times I would be reading an anecdote wondering how it related to what I thought the book was about. My understanding is that the author is relaying the idea that the easy way is not always the best way. Still, it is difficult to connect the personal narratives told in the book to that main idea. There are stories about the author’s travels, work life, and individuals climbing Mount Everest. The author seems to be quite intelligent and experienced, but unfortunately, he did not connect all of his ideas and stories in this book to create a clear message. I read this book twice, and I am only somewhat certain of what the author was trying to present to his readers.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. There is not one grammar error to be found. A more clear main idea would have made this book a more enjoyable read. Furthermore, I found the ending to be somewhat abrupt. Still, I recommend this book to non-fiction readers who enjoy technology analysis.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. Unfortunately, the author’s purpose is unclear. Still, there is valuable advice and information in this book for people working, or hoping to work, in any professional field.

The Myth of Easy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The fact that you are still confused after reading the book twice is a red flag for me. I appreciate your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe the purpose is in the title? As you said - he is probably trying to convey the message that the easy way is not always the best way. Technology definitely makes our lives easier, but it is sometimes better to preserve than revert to technology.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

After reading the book twice and you were still confused, wow.. I a speechless.

I would like to read the book though, seeing your rating.

Thank you!!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm confused too. That is persistence, reading a book twice. I think I would have given up before I even finished it the first time. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the thoughtful review. I've got so much to read right now, that I just don't think I'll take the time on something where the purpose is so unclear. I appreciate that you were able to enjoy some of the points, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am not a reader of non-fiction books in general, but I am interested in the impact of technology on our lives. Still, I am wondering about the actual message and purpose of the book. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I admire your persistence in reading the book twice in hopes of finding the message! Having to hunt for the plot is a deal breaker for me, but I appreciate your thorough review.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I like the idea that you have tried to understand better this book. It means is worth reading. I appreciate your review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It sounds like the book missed on some fronts, but your review is wonderful. Very honest and thorough. I was excited about the title but will probably skip the book. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I think you were too generous in giving this book 3 stars if it was that confusing. I enjoyed your review though.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

You've written the review well but I'm not sure about reading a book where the "so what?" isn't brought out clearly.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

If your introduction is any indication, it sounds like he has some unique stories to tell. Still it sounds too confusing to me.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Thanks for your honest review! :) Unclear thesis is a letdown and stories without connection is clearly a matter of concern for me. I am not much of nonfiction reader but I always want to read books such as this one to spent time. I will still try to read this somehow. Thanks!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I try to read these books to be enlightened, but if you have read it twice and you are still confused, I feel that this book isn't for me. I appreciate your honest review though.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”